Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stop free support for 3rd party modules :(
Sad 
Hi all,
Unfortunately, i can no longer support the 3rd party modules, at least not for free. This is so much time consuming and my request to Thecus for a kind of collaboration had no response. I have a job a family so actually almost all of my free time was spent on supporting all these modules. Also the hosting subscription for the modules have to be paid...Was very difficult to take that decision, I hope i will have some more news for you in the coming days. I thanks to everybody who supported me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: linkedinbutton.jpg]
Download modules from my forum https://pirinel.ro/forum
It is a sad piece of news.
Thank you for all this huge work and I wish you the best of the lives for you and your family.
Do you intend to share your build tree (sdk) ?
THECUS N7510 V2.06.02.10.cdv
RAID 5 = 5 x WDC WD20EFRX-68A
RAID 1 = 2 x Hitachi HCC54505
Indeed very sad to hear, 

I for one and I'm sure I speak for all have much appreciated all your time and efforts as this has really reinvigorated and kept the Thecus scene alive, disappointing to hear that Thecus have not offered you any incentive to keep up the good work, very short sighted of them as this type of third party support has kept me loyal to the Thecus brand..

All my best for you and the family, take care mate.

I've sent you a little something to say thanks for all your good work.

Cheers James
Well thanks for the good words and your support, is much appreciated. I will not completely drop the work on the modules, for the moment, but i am thinkin that everyone who really find these modules usefull can support with 2-3 euros for a month access to download server, when they need it. Sorry to get to this...but i see no other way. For sure you will be one with unlimited access Smile
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is sad to hear that you stop supporting the mods. I was not a big user, but was pleased with some of the mods (SABnzb, Python2) created by you. Thanks again and good luck with your work.

Wilco
Also the best from me. I was also not a big user, but this was really the only part, which held me with Thecus. So it is really getting me away - my next NAS in the near future will be from another producer - it is really sad to see, how a producer is not keen on his clients satisfaction
yes he done great work and help to others but this was why we stuck so long with thecus and like others will sadly miss this but i think its time to move ether to qnap or sysnology
(05-01-2017, 10:59 AM)hammer25 Wrote: yes he done great work and help to others but this was why we stuck so long with thecus  and like others  will sadly miss this but i think its time to move ether to qnap or sysnology

Yes, what I know, they have much better service and for me now the better products either
Sad to see someone that dedicated so much effort to the community to have to do this. But I know what it is like. It's hard to do this stuff for free no matter how much fun it is.

Thanks, so much!
It was fun when i started to handle just a couple of modules and to be honest still is. But too much effort now to do it completely for free for about 100 single modules, some of them made for different architectures . At least i should cover my bills for hosting provider and relax with a couple of beers during the weekend, proud to make some users happy enjoying my work.
yes its very sad but now it made me relise just how fare apps and stuff here is out of date for the standard modules it would make you cry if saw the all the sysnology apps and they always updated i know this cuase i am now running one and looking in to qnap considering the price diffrence between thecus qnap and sysnolgy there only in some cases 300 buck diifrences for exsample thecus icore 3 7 bay retails here for 1700 dollars the qnap icore 3 with m2 ssd fittings for cache and 8 bay 4k 1900 dollars so do the maths
Is it not possible to post the modules as attachments to the forum to reduce / remove hosting costs?
Also if you would be willing to release your toolchain I'd be happy to release monthly updates for a portion of the modules, especially popular modules for x64 OS5/6.
i have no ideah but i do no thecus is the only one were theres not a lot updates on modules here are examples all free https://www.synology.com/en-global/suppo...oad/DS1812+
here is qnap https://www.qnap.com/en-au/app_center/?II=235
as you see there all updated all the time and free and yes i under stand the thirdparty and and takes time but i looking at it now there is only few hundered dollars diffrent in prices on them and have decided to stop using thecus and go with other its a very sad day as the hard ware is good but software side not so and that will be in my opion selling point and buyers point to
Well, they are free and updated because Qnap and Synology work hand in hand with 3rd party developers, offering them a contract for that but probably not taken any responsability for these modules. As they have a contract, then these developers can work full time on updating these modules.
As example, before Qoolbox moved to QNAP, he had a contract with Thecus for more than 2 years to build 3rd party developers.
I'm working on modules for 1 year and a half, just on my free time, but no feedback from Thecus when i asked them about a contract. And i work like blind cause im not even informed when a new firmware is released and what is changed. And indeed, lack of these modules will make some users choosing another brand
When I came to thecus in 2013, It was because I was very disappointed by the lack of support and update for my old Qnap TS201 (bought in 2006).
At that time Thecus seemed more serious and promising.
But I quikly noticed that almost only Qoolbox assured the support and after he left to Qnap, there was nothing anymore until Outkastm take it over.
Thanks also to Fajo but he also left fallen, disgusted by the Thecus's politics.
THECUS N7510 V2.06.02.10.cdv
RAID 5 = 5 x WDC WD20EFRX-68A
RAID 1 = 2 x Hitachi HCC54505

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any 3rd party module that shows the actual Shares Size drukman 5 1,006 02-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Last Post: drukman
  All modules stop working outkastm 5 1,133 10-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Last Post: outkastm
  All modules stop working 0 708 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Any 3rd party module that shows the actual Shares Size 0 589 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: