I Love Thecus

Full Version: Cant expand RAID5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just replaced all my hard drives from 2TB to 3TB. When I go into Storage >> RAID Management and edit my RAID, the additional storage space is not shown. All the individual hard drives are recognized as 3TB. I am on firmware 5.03.02
Storage / Raid Management: Select the RAID in question if you have more than one : Click on Edit : Click on the Expand Tab. It should calculate the % of extra space, then let you Expand it by clicking Apply.
You cannot expand the RAID with HDD's bigger than 2TB HDD's in case the RAID has been created with FW 3.xx (as GBT partitioning is needed for this, which is added with firmware 5.xx).

Do you know if the RAID has been created with that firmware generation? If you are not sure you can create a ticket at our eTicket system and add a download of the conf.bin [system management -> config mgmt] so we can verify it.
(08-08-2016, 06:02 PM)Thecus - Wouter Wrote: [ -> ]You cannot expand the RAID with HDD's bigger than 2TB HDD's in case the RAID has been created with FW 3.xx (as GBT partitioning is needed for this, which is added with firmware 5.xx).

Do you know if the RAID has been created with that firmware generation? If you are not sure you can create a ticket at our eTicket system and add a download of the conf.bin [system management -> config mgmt] so we can verify it.

Oh man, I wish I would have read this before buying new drives!.  My current N4100 Pro has 4x 1TB drives in a Raid 5 configuration, definitely created with FW 3.xx.  I was going to replace them one at a time and end up with 4x 4TB in Raid 5 configuration, but from your posting it sounds like I am not going to get the full space.

Can you please confirm that my understanding is correct?

My current configuration yields about 3TB.  Is there an easy way for me to copy all the data from my current raid onto one of my new single 4TB drive.  Then build a 3x 4TB Raid 5 using FW 5.xx, copy the data from the single drive, and then add the 4th drive to my Raid 5 array?  

Or a different way to solve this problem?!?

Thank you very much.