I Love Thecus

Full Version: I/O error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I got this error:

Hard Disk 3 on N0503 has an I/O error.
This hard disk might have bad sectors on it.
Please replace the hard disk as soon as possible.

I did a bad block scan and a other test, but didn't found any fault. nor has the error repeated itself the last 2 days (including reboots). Does it seem like I should replace the HD right away or does it seem fine?

There is a RAID in place so I can lose one HD without data loss
Hi all,

I got this error:

Hard Disk 3 on N0503 has an I/O error.
This hard disk might have bad sectors on it.
Please replace the hard disk as soon as possible.

I did a bad block scan and a other test, but didn't found any fault. nor has the error repeated itself the last 2 days (including reboots). Does it seem like I should replace the HD right away or does it seem fine?

There is a RAID in place so I can lose one HD without data loss
are you on old firmware? or did you upgrade from old firmware to new firmware and have not formatted the disks after that?

I used to have these errors popping up after I upgraded from v3 to v5 firmware. Always happens when I try to delete some files that are a few GBs in size.
After backing up all my data and re-formatting the hdds (raid 5, xfs to ext4), I have not encountered this problem anymore.

For my case, I believe it has to do with the 4k sector support for newer hard drives in v5 firmware.
In v3 days, 4k sector was not supported (my WD hdds were not certified to work then) but I went ahead to use them.

Hope this information may help you.
are you on old firmware? or did you upgrade from old firmware to new firmware and have not formatted the disks after that?

I used to have these errors popping up after I upgraded from v3 to v5 firmware. Always happens when I try to delete some files that are a few GBs in size.
After backing up all my data and re-formatting the hdds (raid 5, xfs to ext4), I have not encountered this problem anymore.

For my case, I believe it has to do with the 4k sector support for newer hard drives in v5 firmware.
In v3 days, 4k sector was not supported (my WD hdds were not certified to work then) but I went ahead to use them.

Hope this information may help you.
Hi SkimMilk,

I am on the new v5 firmaware and did upgrade from v3 without formatting the disks. if this error returns I will backup and reformat. I prefer ext4 anyway.

thanks for the tips and reply
Hi SkimMilk,

I am on the new v5 firmaware and did upgrade from v3 without formatting the disks. if this error returns I will backup and reformat. I prefer ext4 anyway.

thanks for the tips and reply
you're welcome!

one thing to note though: the error occurred on my 3rd disk, and halfway thru copying files out (backing up), the 2nd hdd also flashed this.
I was horrified but it ended up ok.

I've upgraded the ram to 2GB, and with the re-format to ext4, the whole system appears to be smoother and more responsive. Very happy user now.
you're welcome!

one thing to note though: the error occurred on my 3rd disk, and halfway thru copying files out (backing up), the 2nd hdd also flashed this.

I've upgraded the ram to 2GB, and with the re-format to ext4, the whole system appears to be smoother and more responsive. Very happy user now.
SkimMilk Wrote:you're welcome!

What is the disk P/N ?
This way other user can benefit from your experience.
if this error returns I will backup and reformat.
viva3355
if this error returns I will backup and reformat.
viva3355