I Love Thecus

Full Version: WD20EARX not recognised?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I had 3x WD Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB drives running in RAID5 for over a year without a problem. Recently one of the WD20EARS drives died and was replaced under warranty with a WD20EARX.

When I inserted the disk, the rebuild did not happen, so I rebooted and the disk is not recognised under Disk Information. Is this disk not supported?
I have also noticed that when I reboot the device, it takes a very long time on "Loading Driver" and HDD 3 light is flashing (the new drive is in slot 3).

My firmware is 5.02.02
WD20EARX is not listed in the HDD compatibility list and the WD20EARS is listed as "Not recommended" (with good reason as you will find when searching for WD20EARS in the various boards).

/Falk
HI,

I don't suggest to use WD Green series.

And please kindly pick the HDD model which is on the HDD compatibility list.
Works like a charm now. Turns out the WD20EARX provided as a replacement was dead on arrival! What are the chances?

Also, to all those who think Green drives are bad for RAID - it's a total myth. Research it, read the press releases debunking it from both Western Digital and Seagate, as long as you disable power management (which the N0503 supports), it works fine.
Not true. I used WD green drives for years and struggled with the infamous TLER issue. Disabling power management was one of the options I tried to resolve this unsuccessfully. There is a reason the WD green was dropped from Thecus HDD Compat list.
I experienced a similar issue before and did these steps myself which made the problem worse. To do things without knowing it properly is really difficult. Later I had to contact the technicians and spend a lot of money to fix the same.

Thanks
snoringcurespro.com
I experienced a similar issue before and did these steps myself which made the problem worse. To do things without knowing it properly is really difficult. Later I had to contact the technicians and spend a lot of money to fix the same.

Thanks
snoringcurespro.com