SSH / ROOT ACCESS

Large enterprise-class NAS, Intel Xeon, 8GB/4GB DDR3 SDRAM, VMware Ready, 10GbE Ready, supports SATA III/SAS 6G HDD's, 12-/16-bay NAS and their V series counterparts

Moderator: John Tsai

SSH / ROOT ACCESS

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello

I just bought N12000 NAS from Thecus to replace Netgear 3200 ReadyNas Pro (which doesn't support 3TB Hard Drive).
But , some functions don't work correctly on this NAS (Netgear seams to be better) , in fact 2 fonctions :

- "Bonjour" Server (don't broadcast NAS system name and services on network)
- AFP Server (don't broadcast TimeMachine capability on network)

So I would like change this myself to fix this functions.

I can't log on console (I added Video Card) with root account.

So my questions are very simple :

- How to add SSH Access ? (I tried N5200 Modules , but it's doesn't work)
- What is default "root" password for this NAS ?

Best Regards
Raven

Re: SSH / ROOT ACCESS

Postby fajo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Raven wrote:How to add SSH Access ? (I tried N5200 Modules , but it's doesn't work)

Due to the fact that these models utilize a 64bit Linux and most (if not all) of the 32bit compatibility code/packages are missing you can not use the N5200 SSHD module.

Raven wrote:What is default "root" password for this NAS ?

The root password is not known to the public. Since you already installed a Video card and since you should be able to use a USB keyboard you could install the SYSUSER module (v2.00.02.01 for N5200 series) which will create a "sys" user with a uid/gid of "0". This module will not come with it's own binaries and has been prepared for the N12000/N16000 series already.

/Falk
fajo
Third-Party Developer

Postby SoftDux-Rudi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 pm

The easier option, if your video card works is to either boot into safe mode (this is normally done with "Linux S" / "Linux 1" on the command line.

OR, the way I would have done it, is to change the boot sequence to boot USB devices first. Then boot with something SystemRescueCD (look here for USB memory stick instructions) or FreeNAS, mount the DOM as secondary drive, and then remove the root password from the shadow file. Or, even just add yourself another user and make sure it's part of the wheel group

Backup the shadow file somewhere safe incase you need again.

Alternatively, you could even just use FreeNAS on the Thecus like it is. The only issue I had with using FreeNAS on a Thecus 8800PRO is that it didn't remember the drive settings on reboot. But I never really look into this to see why, since I was interested in the V5 firmware. I guess, if you use ZFS on FreeNAS, that you could write a small scipt to import the ZFS pool upon reboot.
SoftDux-Rudi

Postby citizen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 am

hi,

Can you upgrade firmware version to v1.00.05 ?

also with bonjour service/AFP TimeMachine, you should enable it through web ui.
I hope this can help you.

regards,
citizen
citizen

Postby Raven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 pm

SoftDux-Rudi wrote:The easier option, if your video card works is to either boot into safe mode (this is normally done with "Linux S" / "Linux 1" on the command line.

OR, the way I would have done it, is to change the boot sequence to boot USB devices first. Then boot with something SystemRescueCD (look here for USB memory stick instructions) or FreeNAS, mount the DOM as secondary drive, and then remove the root password from the shadow file. Or, even just add yourself another user and make sure it's part of the wheel group

Backup the shadow file somewhere safe incase you need again.

Alternatively, you could even just use FreeNAS on the Thecus like it is. The only issue I had with using FreeNAS on a Thecus 8800PRO is that it didn't remember the drive settings on reboot. But I never really look into this to see why, since I was interested in the V5 firmware. I guess, if you use ZFS on FreeNAS, that you could write a small scipt to import the ZFS pool upon reboot.

Thanks for your anwser.

I use Nvidia Quadro NVS 300 PCIe 4x video card , so this card works perfectly and I can "enter" into BIOS to change boot priority order or anything else.

I just prepared USB stick with Freenas to boot on and try to change /etc/shadow credential. I will try with Debian too.

I can't use Freenas as operating system because , logical volume use XFS as file system (ZFS is not available on N12000) , and I set RAID 6 with 12 hitachi Hard drive 3TB size. So I wouldn't copy again
all files on this NAS.

Best Regards
Raven

Postby Raven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 pm

citizen wrote:hi,

Can you upgrade firmware version to v1.00.05 ?

also with bonjour service/AFP TimeMachine, you should enable it through web ui.
I hope this can help you.

regards,
citizen

I already upgrade to v1.00.05 , and enabled AFP-TimeMachine through web ui ... but it's doesn't work !!
My xserve or mac pro don't see my NAS , I have to setup it manually on each computer.

When I put video card into this NAS , and connected to a monitor , I got some error on screen :

"mDNSresponder .... unknow option 4" (infinite loop on my screen)

Thecus should check their systems , N12000 is a very expensive NAS , it's same price as HP NAS (5000 euros) , and
this one doesn't work correctly with basic services.

Best Regards
Raven

Postby Raven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 pm

fajo wrote:
Raven wrote:How to add SSH Access ? (I tried N5200 Modules , but it's doesn't work)

Due to the fact that these models utilize a 64bit Linux and most (if not all) of the 32bit compatibility code/packages are missing you can not use the N5200 SSHD module.

Raven wrote:What is default "root" password for this NAS ?

The root password is not known to the public. Since you already installed a Video card and since you should be able to use a USB keyboard you could install the SYSUSER module (v2.00.02.01 for N5200 series) which will create a "sys" user with a uid/gid of "0". This module will not come with it's own binaries and has been prepared for the N12000/N16000 series already.

/Falk

Thanks for your answer , but where I can get SYSUSER module for N12000/N16000 Thecus NAS ?

Best Regards
Raven

Postby fajo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Raven wrote:Thanks for your answer , but where I can get SYSUSER module for N12000/N16000 Thecus NAS ?

here: http://futterknecht.at/index.php/downlo ... ser2000201

/Falk
fajo
Third-Party Developer

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 am

I just downloaded and installed SYSUSER module without any problem , but I can't use it.
I always get an error :

ERROR: cannot set password for user sys to "sys"!

This module should not working on N12000/N16000.

Raven
Raven

Postby fajo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:36 am

Raven wrote:I just downloaded and installed SYSUSER module without any problem , but I can't use it.
I always get an error :

ERROR: cannot set password for user sys to "sys"!

This module should not working on N12000/N16000.

Raven

Unfortunately two commands are missing in the firmware. This causes the password change to fail. I will try to provide a modified SYSUSER module later this week.

/Falk
fajo
Third-Party Developer

Next

Return to N12000 series/N16000 series