Disc I/O errors, Raid problems and Unable to access NAS

Zero-Crash™ with Dual Power NAS

Moderator: John Tsai

Disc I/O errors, Raid problems and Unable to access NAS

Postby gmc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:37 pm

A few weeks ago, disc 2 in the N4200Pro NAS reported an I/O error.

The disc was checked in another PC for any errors and none were found.

I put the disc back in the unit, the raid was rebuilt and then after a week of use, there was another I/O error.

I purchased a new disc and inserted it into the NAS and that was working fine.

The disc I removed from the NAS was put into my Windows Home Server HP box and had worked fine without any problems.

Yesterday morning, there was another disc I/O error, this time on disc 3.

I took the disc out and inserted it in again and the unit tried to do a Raid rebuild. This I left to run for a few hours.

When I subsequently checked the unit there are about 33 pages of messages showing something like Recovering Raid and going into degrade mode.

The messages seemed to be every minute or so.

I tried to refresh the web page and now can't access the NAS over the network.

I am doing this from memory as I cannot access the NAS box from the web interface.

Looking at the display screen disc 2 is steady in green and the other three discs are flickering. The disc 2 orange light is on.

Note: This is showing disc 2 and NOT disc 3 which was what was reporting earlier.

The screen on the unit shows Raid 1234 recovering and the following screen shows capacity used as blank.

I cannot access the box from the web interface at all nor can I access the shares on the unit.

Up until when I couldn't access the interface as described above I could access the shares.

As the unit says it is recovering I am reluctant to reboot the unit or switch it off.

It has been in this state now for 12 hours.

I have raised a support ticket but as yet have not heard back.
Any suggestions?
gmc

Re: Disc I/O errors, Raid problems and Unable to access NAS

Postby Silent Knight » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:58 am

The exact same thing happened to me and it took me over a month to realize that it's not a problem with the hard disks. I went for an exchange 4 times and began to suspect that. It was a problem with my 4200. Took it in and left it there for 2 weeks and it was fixed.
Silent Knight

Postby gmc » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Having left the NAS to do whatever it was doing for 36 hours; I unplugged the unit and rebooted it.

There were various errors in the log including:
Not enough devices to start the array
Failed to run RUN_ARRAY
Assemble RAID
Degraded and can't create RAID
Not enough devices to start the array
etc

I unplugged the discs and replugged them in

Now I have messages saying that the discs have been added

Looking at the screens for storage; all the discs are showing normally

The RAID screen shows NOTHING

So I have not only lost any data that might have been on the disc that may or may not have been faulty (I think it wasn't); the entire RAID array has been trashed and I have lost everything.

What is the point in having a NAS box if it can behave in this way. It rather defeats the purpose of it.

The whole point of using RAID is so that if a disc fails, you don't lose your data.

As of now; I have not heard anything from Thecus - the ticket id is MHY-187608.
gmc

Postby wickedday » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:03 am

Silent Knight wrote:The exact same thing happened to me and it took me over a month to realize that it's not a problem with the hard disks. I went for an exchange 4 times and began to suspect that. It was a problem with my 4200. Took it in and left it there for 2 weeks and it was fixed.

Slient Knight: I am having the same issue with my N4200PRO. Where did you take yours to be repaired? Thanks!!
wickedday

Postby Micha » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 am

i have a very similar problem:
I also had disk 2 I/O-failures.
But now, the whole Raid "disapeared". There is no Raid-5 anymore, all services stopped and also all older logs disapeared.

system:
Thecus N4200 Pro
Firmware: 3.04.05
Raid-5
4 disks: Samsung HD 204UI with 1AQ1-Firmware

If anyone knows how to fix it, please help.
regards Micha

P.S.: I also like to habe a support-ticket but I get no e-mail confirmation to login for the support center
Micha

Postby Unhappy_Camper » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

There's another thread on the same issue.

And it appears that the support website is not working/not submitting trouble tickets.
Unhappy_Camper

Return to N4200