Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N8800SAS low Diskspace = slow network speed
Hi,

we use a N8800SAS for doing regular Backup from a Windows Server by SMB for a few years. I works without problems for a long time, but a few weeks ago we encoutered a problem, because during a backup process the NAS network speed slow down and Windows stops copying files and throws an error message (network target not reachable).

We tried some things (restart of NAS, Server, Switch, scanning HDD, etc.) but did not find an error. At last we deleted some old backup files on the NAS and suddenly it works with normal speed again. But a few days later the disk usage reached the same level again und the NAS network speed slows again.

So in our configuration it is reproducible - if the NAS disk usage reaches about 80% the network speed drops massiv, so the NAS becomes unusable.

NAS 8800SAS - Firmware 5.03.02
HDD - 8x Western Digital 3 TB - WD3000FYYZ-0 (Firmware 01.0)
RAID - RAID 6 with ext4 Filesystem, Stripsize 32kb - Total Space 16755.3 GB, Data Space 15358 GB, Used Space 15850.9 GB
Used Services - only SMB and Nsync

Does anybody know the reason for this? Does it also happens with smaller (or larger) HDD? Is it a problem of the total Amount of Data or the percentual usage of space?

Thanks for any Ideas or help!!

Nils
Hi,

we use a N8800SAS for doing regular Backup from a Windows Server by SMB for a few years. I works without problems for a long time, but a few weeks ago we encoutered a problem, because during a backup process the NAS network speed slow down and Windows stops copying files and throws an error message (network target not reachable).

We tried some things (restart of NAS, Server, Switch, scanning HDD, etc.) but did not find an error. At last we deleted some old backup files on the NAS and suddenly it works with normal speed again. But a few days later the disk usage reached the same level again und the NAS network speed slows again.

So in our configuration it is reproducible - if the NAS disk usage reaches about 80% the network speed drops massiv, so the NAS becomes unusable.

NAS 8800SAS - Firmware 5.03.02
HDD - 8x Western Digital 3 TB - WD3000FYYZ-0 (Firmware 01.0)
RAID - RAID 6 with ext4 Filesystem, Stripsize 32kb - Total Space 16755.3 GB, Data Space 15358 GB, Used Space 15850.9 GB
Used Services - only SMB and Nsync

Does anybody know the reason for this? Does it also happens with smaller (or larger) HDD? Is it a problem of the total Amount of Data or the percentual usage of space?

Thanks for any Ideas or help!!

Nils
Dear Sir,

We afraid need provide the CONF.BIN and submit ticket from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://esupport.thecus.com">http://esupport.thecus.com</a><!-- m --> let our satff check for you.

CONF.BIN can be downloaded from [System Management/ Config Mgmt] and then press [Download] button.
Yvon.
Hello,
I have a N8800SAS with 8 3TB WD RED HDD in RAID6 EXT4 15GB one volume. It's full at 90% and I don't have noticed any slowdown.
One of my HDD ahd IO error so i changed it and the rebuild time was around 15 hours...
After that, no slowdonw too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N8800SAS : tests with WD RED 3TB HDDs nico_g 3 1,994 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Last Post: nico_g
  N7700SAS/N8800SAS Modules Thecus-Ivan 14 3,735 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Last Post: SoftDux-Rudi
  N8800SAS : tests with WD RED 3TB HDDs 0 1,528 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: