Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thecus N5550 RAID 5 - 2nd Drive Failure during rebuild!
How do I go about starting the recovery process after I have successfully cloned the drives? 

Jeff

(06-06-2017, 07:19 AM)ThaumaTechnician Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 12:11 AM)soniccake Wrote: Is is possible to use the Clone function built into my N5550 OS to clone the data from a failing drive to a new identical drive? I am in the same boat with 2 problematic drives that happened simultaneously in a RAID 5. Thanks much.

Jeff

My best advice is to purchase a copy of SpinRite and run it on those drive.  Don't wait.

My next best advice is in the form of a question: Are those HDDs NAS-class drives?  If not, upgrade them to NAS-class.  Get bigger drives so that you can replicate your RAID as a four-drive RAID, and install the fifth drive as a Hot Spare (so the NAS rebuilds the RAID as soon as it detects a degraded RAID, or better still use RAID6, or best, IMHO, use RAID10 instead of RAID5 and have a Hot Spare.

Third: the Clone function, from what I've read, (I've never used it) is to clone drive through, say, the USB port.  Its function is similar to the Norton Ghost utility.  What you're looking for, in Thecus, is the 'Raid Volume Replication'.  Problem is, you need as many spare slots/HDDs as your old RAID is composed of.
This was handy info, thanks for sharing OP.

This is the second time I've dealt with a double-dead drive situation. During the rebuild after the first drive replacement, the system encounters an error and drops the raid. Luckily for me, a reboot just starts the rebuild process again, with my data available.

Last time I manually copied all the data off the array and then rebuilt it from scratch (with new disks). That was painful. This time I'll try to clone the second failing disk.

Moral of the story, keep an eye on your S.M.A.R.T. params! If you see *any* pending sectors, it's time to replace the drive immediately...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Cloud Drive for Thecus NAS (like N5550) ? Dandy 16 4,850 09-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Dandy
  Failed harddisk in Raid 1, rebuild OK and long SMART test OK vdhaeyere 32 8,111 12-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Last Post: tbt
  Failed harddisk in Raid 1, rebuild OK and long SMART test OK 0 3,536 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Amazon Cloud Drive for Thecus NAS (like N5550) ? 0 1,154 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Thecus N5550 RAID 5 - 2nd Drive Failure during rebuild! 0 649 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: