Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W5000 graphics drivers for 1920 by 1200
Folks,

According to all of the documentation I can find on the D2550 it should be capable of 1920 by 1200, but the highest resolution I'm offered is 1600 by 1200. Since I've just bought a lovely Dell Ultrasharp 2412M it would be nice to be able to drive it at its native resolution. Has anyone been able to find a driver that can be installed instead of the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter that Windows 2012 uses by default, or indeed any other way of displaying higher than 1600 by 1200?? I've tried a Windows 8.1 64-bit driver from Intel, which is documented as supporting the D2500 range, but I get an error telling me that 'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'. It isn't apparent from that message whether it is Windows 2012 or the hardware it is objecting to.

Whilst on the subject of driving the monitor, I am using mine in portrait mode but can find no way of getting the pre-logged on display to use that mode rather than landscape. Any advice on that would be gratefully received as I get a crick in my neck reading sideways Smile

Cheers, Steve
Cheers, Steve
Folks,

According to all of the documentation I can find on the D2550 it should be capable of 1920 by 1200, but the highest resolution I'm offered is 1600 by 1200. Since I've just bought a lovely Dell Ultrasharp 2412M it would be nice to be able to drive it at its native resolution. Has anyone been able to find a driver that can be installed instead of the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter that Windows 2012 uses by default, or indeed any other way of displaying higher than 1600 by 1200?? I've tried a Windows 8.1 64-bit driver from Intel, which is documented as supporting the D2500 range, but I get an error telling me that 'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software'. It isn't apparent from that message whether it is Windows 2012 or the hardware it is objecting to.

Whilst on the subject of driving the monitor, I am using mine in portrait mode but can find no way of getting the pre-logged on display to use that mode rather than landscape. Any advice on that would be gratefully received as I get a crick in my neck reading sideways Smile

Cheers, Steve
Cheers, Steve
What are you using your server for ??
All I have plugged into mine is a cat 5 cable and power Smile
What are you using your server for ??
All I have plugged into mine is a cat 5 cable and power Smile
It is attached to a KVM and therefore it is just as easy to be logged into it directly as to use RDP. Since I still have issues with it (latest being regular pauses in network traffic) I spend far too much time logged on for troubleshooting.
Cheers, Steve
It is attached to a KVM and therefore it is just as easy to be logged into it directly as to use RDP. Since I still have issues with it (latest being regular pauses in network traffic) I spend far too much time logged on for troubleshooting.
Cheers, Steve
O I C Smile
I guess you have the .05 firmware? Mine used to "hang" and that seemed to fix it. As well I uninstalled ORB and the windows Media pack
O I C Smile
I guess you have the .05 firmware? Mine used to "hang" and that seemed to fix it. As well I uninstalled ORB and the windows Media pack
StillGrey Wrote:I guess you have the .05 firmware?
I had not bothered to update the BIOS, since all seemed to be working. Having done so I wish that I hadn't as the system is only seeing 2GB of RAM and I see from posts elsewhere that my only choice seems to be opening it up to remove the new 2GB stick, restart and then shut down again, before installing the extra 2GB again {sigh}

StillGrey Wrote:uninstalled ORB and the windows Media pack
Mine pre-dates the ORB stuff and I don't think has WM activated either.
Cheers, Steve
StillGrey Wrote:I guess you have the .05 firmware?
I had not bothered to update the BIOS, since all seemed to be working. Having done so I wish that I hadn't as the system is only seeing 2GB of RAM and I see from posts elsewhere that my only choice seems to be opening it up to remove the new 2GB stick, restart and then shut down again, before installing the extra 2GB again {sigh}

StillGrey Wrote:uninstalled ORB and the windows Media pack
Mine pre-dates the ORB stuff and I don't think has WM activated either.
Cheers, Steve
I know it is a pain reloading a Domain Controller, but you might consider the new build. Not just ORB, but they also made changes to the Thecus services. But since my 2 bay does not have an LCD I disabled those also Smile But I really think the newer builds use less ram also.

So if you have the pre ORB build did you get the client restore service started? And you got the box activated?
I know it is a pain reloading a Domain Controller, but you might consider the new build. Not just ORB, but they also made changes to the Thecus services. But since my 2 bay does not have an LCD I disabled those also Smile But I really think the newer builds use less ram also.

So if you have the pre ORB build did you get the client restore service started? And you got the box activated?
I have no intention of rebuilding the box and giving it even more opportunity to eat, unproductively, into my leisure time :O

StillGrey Wrote:they also made changes to the Thecus services
If that is the stuff that drives the LCD display then it is available separately and I've installed it. Given the location of my W5000 I almost never look at the display, but at least when I do it will be right now.

StillGrey Wrote:did you get the client restore service started? And you got the box activated?
Yes, despite having the original build I didn't suffer from either of those bugs - having said that, I did rebuild from the v1.05 ISO two or three days after I received the unit, having decided (after discussions on Technet and elsewhere, with your good self and others) that I needed to start the setup again. FAQ entries created since then suggest that the activation bug might be related to language packs, which the downloaded ISO did not include, so I may just have got lucky.

BTW looks like it is just thee and me here Wink
Cheers, Steve
I have no intention of rebuilding the box and giving it even more opportunity to eat, unproductively, into my leisure time :O

StillGrey Wrote:they also made changes to the Thecus services
If that is the stuff that drives the LCD display then it is available separately and I've installed it. Given the location of my W5000 I almost never look at the display, but at least when I do it will be right now.

StillGrey Wrote:did you get the client restore service started? And you got the box activated?
Yes, despite having the original build I didn't suffer from either of those bugs - having said that, I did rebuild from the v1.05 ISO two or three days after I received the unit, having decided (after discussions on Technet and elsewhere, with your good self and others) that I needed to start the setup again. FAQ entries created since then suggest that the activation bug might be related to language packs, which the downloaded ISO did not include, so I may just have got lucky.

BTW looks like it is just thee and me here Wink
Cheers, Steve
Well, when it is all said and done. I got mine from a newegg refurb for $250 and I like it Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  W5000 Graphics Chip? PhatGit 6 2,462 10-28-2015, 04:54 AM
Last Post: PhatGit
  W5000 Graphics Chip? 0 855 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  W5000 graphics drivers for 1920 by 1200 0 1,228 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: