Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N7510 freeze
Hey all,

Yesterday I started playing around with a new computer based on 6600K / Asus Z170-A. Of course I installed Windows 10 on it. My NAS has been working perfectly well over the last few years, I've been using it with Windows 7 with a 3TB iSCSI drive as well as regular mapped drives.

Yesterday I noticed I could not access any of my shares. Could not access the web interface either. I then looked at the physical unit and the Status Display was "stuck" on "link aggregation" instead of cycling through all the different informations (RAID status etc...). It simply froze, and this is the first time ever this happens. I had to hold down the power button to do a "hard" shutdown, then restarted the NAS and it mounted everything succesfully (I did shut down my Windows 10 machine to stop interference).

First of all, I'm wondering if there is some place I could find a log or something that could explain the freeze? If so how can I access it?

Second, my suspicion is that something in Windows 10 does not play well with the NAS, could it be a bug or problem with the iSCSI feature? Or simply a setting / driver issueo the network card on my mobo (Intel I219V)? My firmwave was updated a few months back to the last "stable" version v2.05.08 (not the one with security hotfix).

I know this is the first time it happens, but until yesterday this NAS has been rock solid and I intent to keep it that way...
Thanks for any advice!
Hey all,

Yesterday I started playing around with a new computer based on 6600K / Asus Z170-A. Of course I installed Windows 10 on it. My NAS has been working perfectly well over the last few years, I've been using it with Windows 7 with a 3TB iSCSI drive as well as regular mapped drives.

Yesterday I noticed I could not access any of my shares. Could not access the web interface either. I then looked at the physical unit and the Status Display was "stuck" on "link aggregation" instead of cycling through all the different informations (RAID status etc...). It simply froze, and this is the first time ever this happens. I had to hold down the power button to do a "hard" shutdown, then restarted the NAS and it mounted everything succesfully (I did shut down my Windows 10 machine to stop interference).

First of all, I'm wondering if there is some place I could find a log or something that could explain the freeze? If so how can I access it?

Second, my suspicion is that something in Windows 10 does not play well with the NAS, could it be a bug or problem with the iSCSI feature? Or simply a setting / driver issueo the network card on my mobo (Intel I219V)? My firmwave was updated a few months back to the last "stable" version v2.05.08 (not the one with security hotfix).

I know this is the first time it happens, but until yesterday this NAS has been rock solid and I intent to keep it that way...
Thanks for any advice!
A quick update to say that it happenned again. It definitly is not a coincidence and I think it's related to my new Windows 10 computer... Right now I disabled the iSCSI connection on my computer to see if this will help.

I would still like to know how to access log or any information that would help me understand what happens!
A quick update to say that it happenned again. It definitly is not a coincidence and I think it's related to my new Windows 10 computer... Right now I disabled the iSCSI connection on my computer to see if this will help.

I would still like to know how to access log or any information that would help me understand what happens!
Dear Sir,

Please kindly submit ticket from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://esupportl.thecus.com">http://esupportl.thecus.com</a><!-- m --> for our satff to chekc for you, and also please provde CONF.BIN for reference, this file can be downloaded from [System Management/ Config Mgmt] and then press [Download] button.
Yvon.
Dear Sir,

Please kindly submit ticket from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://esupportl.thecus.com">http://esupportl.thecus.com</a><!-- m --> for our satff to chekc for you, and also please provde CONF.BIN for reference, this file can be downloaded from [System Management/ Config Mgmt] and then press [Download] button.
Yvon.
Thanks, I will once I have enough time.

Since I disabled iSCSI on my Windows 10 machine the freeze has not happenned again so the problem is related for sure. I noticed that since a few days Intel release a newer LAN driver (20.3) so I will try upgrading to the latest version. As well, in the release notes of that driver, they mention that a feature called RSC should be disabled before using iSCSI over a VLAN (not sure if that's my case) so I'll turn it off after installing the newer driver.
Thanks, I will once I have enough time.

Since I disabled iSCSI on my Windows 10 machine the freeze has not happenned again so the problem is related for sure. I noticed that since a few days Intel release a newer LAN driver (20.3) so I will try upgrading to the latest version. As well, in the release notes of that driver, they mention that a feature called RSC should be disabled before using iSCSI over a VLAN (not sure if that's my case) so I'll turn it off after installing the newer driver.
For the record, after upgrading network drivers, disabling RSC, I noticed the freeze still happens.

I opened up a ticket. So far they suggest that I downgrade my firmware to previous version 2.04.xx (they do provide a file to do so) because they say iSCSI is not stable on 2.05.xx

What I don't understand is that I've had NO problems until I changed to my Windows 10 machine, iSCSI was very stable and never crashed the NAS. Anyways I might give it a try, but I'm afraid a downgrade will cause other type of problems (also is there any risk of failure? I don't want to brick my NAS).
For the record, after upgrading network drivers, disabling RSC, I noticed the freeze still happens.

I opened up a ticket. So far they suggest that I downgrade my firmware to previous version 2.04.xx (they do provide a file to do so) because they say iSCSI is not stable on 2.05.xx

What I don't understand is that I've had NO problems until I changed to my Windows 10 machine, iSCSI was very stable and never crashed the NAS. Anyways I might give it a try, but I'm afraid a downgrade will cause other type of problems (also is there any risk of failure? I don't want to brick my NAS).
I followed the tech support advice, reverted successfully to 2.04.06a on Saturday and since then didn't had anymore freeze. Before it would freeze at most a few hours after accessing iscsi. So the iscsi is definitly unstable on 2.08.xx (possibly with another os than Win7 OR newer network card causing the issue).

Now I wonder if this will fixed in the next release... last release is a couple month old already so we should get another soon?
I followed the tech support advice, reverted successfully to 2.04.06a on Saturday and since then didn't had anymore freeze. Before it would freeze at most a few hours after accessing iscsi. So the iscsi is definitly unstable on 2.08.xx (possibly with another os than Win7 OR newer network card causing the issue).

Now I wonder if this will fixed in the next release... last release is a couple month old already so we should get another soon?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N7510 freeze 0 711 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: