Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raid 1 Fails W2000
I have been trying to use my W2000 in Raid 1 with two WD Red 4tb drives. (Set SATA mode to Raid in BIOS and configure raid with ctrl -I) Do the system recovery and configure everything. When I start a client backup the backup will get about 2% (passing data to the server) and the W2000 will become unresponsive. Once it lost one of the drives. Rebuild the box and tried again. After the auto backup tried last night the server was at the efi shell this morning. Reboot and raid config says toast.

Tried with 2gb ram and 4gb ram. Not sure if 4tb drives are just too much of a load or if this box is just bad. Have another with 1TB WD red's that seems to be doing fine in Raid 1 with 2gb ram.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/hE4hk0YQnm8">https://youtu.be/hE4hk0YQnm8</a><!-- m --> video was done with the 1tb drives
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your mail, we afraid this have some issue make system unresponsive, please don't install and HDD into W2000, just keep system default SSD for operation, thus we able to verify this issue come from NAS itself or HDD related.
Yvon.
Thanks
I think I figured out my hanging issue was an IP KVM thing I was using to be able to take boot/BIOS screen shots.
So I am back in the "I Love Thecus" column Smile
Well I had the same hanging issue with just the SSD in the box after a fresh load of the ISO When it hangs system interrupts seem to be using more cpu. More being greater than .1
I'm having a similar issue with a W4000+. Basically, I find that the BIOS fails to recognize the SDD about 5% of the time. Mine did this out of the box with just the SSD installed and without any significant configuration change on my part. Here are some observations:
  • The problem is intermittent; does this about 5% of the time
  • The system is stable once running (if the BIOS sees the drives then it seems to run fine; the disks don't disappear once the system is running)
  • It sometimes fails to see one of my other drives too
  • When the problem happens, the BIOS takes more time to load

Does that look like your issue?

Support implied that they are looking into fixing this with a BIOS update.
No I have never had a problem booting. In fact at times BIOS is too fast and I have a terrible time getting an F2 in there. I am trying so hard to blame it on something I am doing, but no matter how many times I install it will still start hanging at some time.
LukeMurphey Wrote:I'm having a similar issue with a W4000+. Basically, I find that the BIOS fails to recognize the SDD about 5% of the time. Mine did this out of the box with just the SSD installed and without any significant configuration change on my part. Here are some observations:
  • The system is stable once running (if the BIOS sees the drives then it seems to run fine; the disks don't disappear once the system is running)

Seems this is a known problem then... I have exactly the same problem with a brand new W4000+, from the first moment i unpacked it less than 2 months ago. 9/10 times after auto restart because of windows updates, it ends up to internal shell something without booting into windows and it needs me to manually type "exit" a couple of times until it detects the SSD with windows OS (windows server 2012 essentials).
Any news about that BIOS update??

(Seems the problem is only during boot because after i enter windows environment i never had any problems.. On the other hand server always detects during boot, a 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS HDD i have installed.)
LukeMurphey Wrote:I'm having a similar issue with a W4000+. Basically, I find that the BIOS fails to recognize the SDD about 5% of the time. Mine did this out of the box with just the SSD installed and without any significant configuration change on my part. Here are some observations:

Seems this is a known problem then... I have exactly the same problem with a brand new W4000+, from the first moment i unpacked it less than 2 months ago. 9/10 times after auto restart because of windows updates, it ends up to internal shell something without booting into windows and it needs me to manually type "exit" a couple of times until it detects the SSD with windows OS (windows server 2012 essentials).
Any news about that BIOS update??

(Seems the problem is only during boot because after i enter windows environment i never had any problems.. On the other hand server always detects during boot, a 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS HDD i have installed.)
BIOS update has been released some days ago:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9218#p44173">viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9218#p44173</a><!-- l -->
BIOS update has been released some days ago:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9218#p44173">viewtopic.php?f=79&t=9218#p44173</a><!-- l -->
BTW: the BIOS update took care of the problem for me. I booted 20 times and it saw all of the drives every time.
BTW: the BIOS update took care of the problem for me. I booted 20 times and it saw all of the drives every time.
LukeMurphey Wrote:BTW: the BIOS update took care of the problem for me. I booted 20 times and it saw all of the drives every time.

PERFECT!! I'll try it today!

thnx for your help!

EDIT - 08/09/2015: I confirm that the update fixed the problem! Finally server restarts to windows by itself!! Big Grin
LukeMurphey Wrote:BTW: the BIOS update took care of the problem for me. I booted 20 times and it saw all of the drives every time.

PERFECT!! I'll try it today!

thnx for your help!

EDIT - 08/09/2015: I confirm that the update fixed the problem! Finally server restarts to windows by itself!! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BMR Fails on W2000 StillGrey 2 1,909 08-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Last Post: StillGrey
  Raid 1 Fails W2000 0 1,264 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  BMR Fails on W2000 0 897 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: