Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W5000 - boot failure with ext USB drive
Configuration: Connect an external USB (2.0 or 3.0) HDD of greater than 2.2TB to any USB port.
Issue: Server will not boot, not even to BIOS.

I've read this can be a problem for some motherboards and is normally resolved by removing USB from the boot sequence. Unfortunately, this solution does not work for the W5000.
I have been able to get the server to boot by disabling legacy USB. However, this means I cannot access the BIOS because the USB keyboard doesn't operate.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with 3TB/4TB USB external HDD?
Dear Sir,

The W2000(+)/W4000(+)/W5000(+) series default boot from USB as first poritity, thus please link to USB3.0 port from W5000 for try.
Yvon.
Hi Yvon
You are correct that the system will startup when a large HDD is connected to the front USB3 port. This is not practical for unattended backup as the bay door has to be left open.

I understand that the system defaults to boot from the rear USB2 ports. However, none of the large (3TB, 4TB) I have connected to the rear USB2 ports are bootable. In this configuration the system doesn't even bring up the bios splash screen.

The rear USB2 ports should be usable for unattended backup on devices larger than 2.2TB. Please explain how this can be achieved.
Dear Sir,

In reason the front USB3.0 is NEC USB 3.0 chip, thus BIOS won't recognize the driver during BIOS/boot stage. If went to link rear USB2.0 with USB HDD and boot up, please confirm this USB HDD have no boot related sector make BIOS treat as a bootable device, or link USB HDD after system boot ready.
Yvon.
Dear Sir,

In reason the front USB3.0 is NEC USB 3.0 chip, thus BIOS won't recognize the driver during BIOS/boot stage. If went to link rear USB2.0 with USB HDD and boot up, please confirm this USB HDD have no boot related sector make BIOS treat as a bootable device, or link USB HDD after system boot ready.
Yvon.
I have 4x 4TB external USB3.0 drivers connected to aa rear USB port via a powered hub.
None of these drives has any boot sector.
These drives are configured as a Windows Storage Spaces pool.

The only workaround I have is to disconnect the hub during reboot.
I have 4x 4TB external USB3.0 drivers connected to aa rear USB port via a powered hub.
None of these drives has any boot sector.
These drives are configured as a Windows Storage Spaces pool.

The only workaround I have is to disconnect the hub during reboot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  W5000 - boot failure with ext USB drive 0 1,065 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: