Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N7510 CAN'T CREATE 7BAY*4TB(WD40EFRX red nas) RAID 6 VOLUME
OK Today I upgraded my N7510 to 7bay*4tb WD40EFRX red nas. (Previously it was operating normaly in a 7*2tb WD20EADS RAID 5). The new disks were properly identified (all new ) and I started to program a 7*4tb raid 6 volume. I chose EXT4 file system 128 strip size and auto nodes. I pressed the accept/continue tab... and then nothing. N7510 stays in idle mode with no disk activity and of course no info in the raid management of a raid beiing created.....
Actually the unit stays as frozen for a few minutes, if I press the raid management tab and start the procedure again ...NO DISK is recognized (as if they were used in the previous raid creation..) BUT 10 minutes after they reappear and you can actually start the procedure again ....
I suppose that this is a firmware problem although I tested both 2.05.06 as well as the beta 2.05.07.1
Previously as I had only 6 disks I tried the same with no results... I thought that this had to do with only 6 disks beeing available so today I bought the 7th one.....
Have anyone else tried the same with the same disks?
Anyway I have posted another ticket..... to thecus support.....
OK Today I upgraded my N7510 to 7bay*4tb WD40EFRX red nas. (Previously it was operating normaly in a 7*2tb WD20EADS RAID 5). The new disks were properly identified (all new ) and I started to program a 7*4tb raid 6 volume. I chose EXT4 file system 128 strip size and auto nodes. I pressed the accept/continue tab... and then nothing. N7510 stays in idle mode with no disk activity and of course no info in the raid management of a raid beiing created.....
Actually the unit stays as frozen for a few minutes, if I press the raid management tab and start the procedure again ...NO DISK is recognized (as if they were used in the previous raid creation..) BUT 10 minutes after they reappear and you can actually start the procedure again ....
I suppose that this is a firmware problem although I tested both 2.05.06 as well as the beta 2.05.07.1
Previously as I had only 6 disks I tried the same with no results... I thought that this had to do with only 6 disks beeing available so today I bought the 7th one.....
Have anyone else tried the same with the same disks?
Anyway I have posted another ticket..... to thecus support.....
ok I found the answer... One drive although has good smart data it can't pass quick test in self diagnostic tools of WD!!!! I also wrote zeros to all drives... I am now formatiing a 6 bay 6*4tb raid 6 volume ( i hope i can add an extra 4tb later in the empty slot and expand my volume...)
ok I found the answer... One drive although has good smart data it can't pass quick test in self diagnostic tools of WD!!!! I also wrote zeros to all drives... I am now formatiing a 6 bay 6*4tb raid 6 volume ( i hope i can add an extra 4tb later in the empty slot and expand my volume...)
I can't really tell you whether you can expand from 6 to 7 drives, but I can tell you that you probably don't want to do that since it will take forever (creation alone can take days).
I can't really tell you whether you can expand from 6 to 7 drives, but I can tell you that you probably don't want to do that since it will take forever (creation alone can take days).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N7510 CAN'T CREATE 7BAY*4TB(WD40EFRX red nas) RAID 6 VOLUME 0 631 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: