Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplex Throughput
I'm currently migrating my data from one NAS to a dual setup and have a performance question.

My setup is like so:
* N7510 is connected to my network switch (LAN1) and has a lot of data on it (N7510 gets its IP via DHCP)
* N4560 is connected to the N7510 (LAN2) directly, the N7510 is configured with IP sharing mode (both N7510 and N4560 have static IPs in the LAN2 net)
* One big RAID 6 volume on the N4560 is mounted via iSCSI on the N7510, the N7510 has one RAID 5 volume

Now, normally when copying to or from the N7510, I get around 700 Mbit/s throughput, which is reasonable, although not that close to the full 1 Gbit/s (does anyone know why btw?).
But when I copy data from the N7510 internal volume to the N7510 stacked iSCSI volume (via a PC in the main network), I only get around 350 Mbit/s (both in and out of course), which is not great at all.
I would like to know why this is and if there is anything I can do to improve the throughput?

edit: I just realized it could be a problem with my PC, how do I determine where the bottleneck is?
I'm currently migrating my data from one NAS to a dual setup and have a performance question.

My setup is like so:
* N7510 is connected to my network switch (LAN1) and has a lot of data on it (N7510 gets its IP via DHCP)
* N4560 is connected to the N7510 (LAN2) directly, the N7510 is configured with IP sharing mode (both N7510 and N4560 have static IPs in the LAN2 net)
* One big RAID 6 volume on the N4560 is mounted via iSCSI on the N7510, the N7510 has one RAID 5 volume

Now, normally when copying to or from the N7510, I get around 700 Mbit/s throughput, which is reasonable, although not that close to the full 1 Gbit/s (does anyone know why btw?).
But when I copy data from the N7510 internal volume to the N7510 stacked iSCSI volume (via a PC in the main network), I only get around 350 Mbit/s (both in and out of course), which is not great at all.
I would like to know why this is and if there is anything I can do to improve the throughput?

edit: I just realized it could be a problem with my PC, how do I determine where the bottleneck is?
Well it seems I can post the answer to my question myself...

I didn't think to look that up before, it seems my mainboard (ASUS Sabertooth X58) has a slow Ethernet adapter that only does 700 Mbit/s.
I'll plug in a proper 1 Gbit/s card and post again if the problem still exists (which I doubt).
Well it seems I can post the answer to my question myself...

I didn't think to look that up before, it seems my mainboard (ASUS Sabertooth X58) has a slow Ethernet adapter that only does 700 Mbit/s.
I'll plug in a proper 1 Gbit/s card and post again if the problem still exists (which I doubt).
So now I have an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop card in there, throughput when copying from the N7510 is much better, as expected (above 900 Mbit/s).

However, when copying from the N7510 to the N4560 via the PC, the throughput is very close to 500 Mbit/s (in and out), which is less than I was hoping.
So the first question stays:
What's the matter and can I do something to improve the speed?
So now I have an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop card in there, throughput when copying from the N7510 is much better, as expected (above 900 Mbit/s).

However, when copying from the N7510 to the N4560 via the PC, the throughput is very close to 500 Mbit/s (in and out), which is less than I was hoping.
So the first question stays:
What's the matter and can I do something to improve the speed?
Pezo I have the same problem. I have already posted it here a few topics below yours
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9054">viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9054</a><!-- l -->
I CAN WRITE TO NAS FROM MY PC (TERACOPY) AT ABOUT 100MB/SEC BUT I CAN ONLY READ AT 50MB/SEC MAX!!!
I have posted a ticket and now thecus is examining my nas (via Teamvieer) to find a solution... My ethernet adapter (gigabyte z77x-ud5 ) is not the problem as during writing to nas it can sustain 100mb/sec
Pezo I have the same problem. I have already posted it here a few topics below yours
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9054">viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9054</a><!-- l -->
I CAN WRITE TO NAS FROM MY PC (TERACOPY) AT ABOUT 100MB/SEC BUT I CAN ONLY READ AT 50MB/SEC MAX!!!
I have posted a ticket and now thecus is examining my nas (via Teamvieer) to find a solution... My ethernet adapter (gigabyte z77x-ud5 ) is not the problem as during writing to nas it can sustain 100mb/sec
I actually read your thread while researching, but I have no problems reading or writing (not both) with previously the 700 Mbit/s my NIC would offer.
Also I don't have the newest firmware, simply because I didn't want to restart the NAS since I got it.

I also have a ticket open about another problem that started soon after I posted here, but I got no response since my last post there.
Since I have to update the firmware now anyway I will post here/in your thread if anything changes speed-wise.
I actually read your thread while researching, but I have no problems reading or writing (not both) with previously the 700 Mbit/s my NIC would offer.
Also I don't have the newest firmware, simply because I didn't want to restart the NAS since I got it.

I also have a ticket open about another problem that started soon after I posted here, but I got no response since my last post there.
Since I have to update the firmware now anyway I will post here/in your thread if anything changes speed-wise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Duplex Throughput 0 542 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: