Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N7510 became unusable slow after the 90% usage was reached
Hello Together,

I have a problem with my N7510, which is running on the latest firmware 2.05.06 and 7x WD Red 3Tb in a RAID5. Recently it became terrible slow when copying or reading files. This applies both to Webdrive and the mounted network drive under Win8.1. Sometimes windows even stops the copying with a error, that the resource is no longer available. I checked all LAN cables, everything fine. SMART data is OK and the volume is healthy. A file system check also was passed without any findingsd.

I only noticed, that this started at a similar time when the 90% usage message showed up in the log.

With a small tool called NAS tester I got these results on GBit network:
40Mb file write/read: 110MB/s / 110MB/s
400Mb file write/read: 20MB/s / 100MB/s
1000Mb file write/read: 10MB/s / 10MB/s

Why is it getting slower with increasing file size?
I could confirm this behavior also on the mounted network drive. Small files still work fine, big ones like an iso image are extremely slow.

Does anyone have an idea, what the problem is?
Is it maybe a problem of the EXT4 file system, when the volume gets full?
Or is it an issue with the SAMBA configuration, like some else recently posted?

I really need some help, thanks a lot in advance.

Update:
I now found a solution. I switched off SAMBA, disabled all the options in the SAMBA menu (right position) and then re-stared SAMBA again. The restart took like 10mins, but now I have 100/100 MB/s read write speed again. I hope some of the devs reads this posts and cross-checks how all those SAMBA features perform on a almost full volume. (Maybe the file access cash caused this?)
Hello Together,

I have a problem with my N7510, which is running on the latest firmware 2.05.06 and 7x WD Red 3Tb in a RAID5. Recently it became terrible slow when copying or reading files. This applies both to Webdrive and the mounted network drive under Win8.1. Sometimes windows even stops the copying with a error, that the resource is no longer available. I checked all LAN cables, everything fine. SMART data is OK and the volume is healthy. A file system check also was passed without any findingsd.

I only noticed, that this started at a similar time when the 90% usage message showed up in the log.

With a small tool called NAS tester I got these results on GBit network:
40Mb file write/read: 110MB/s / 110MB/s
400Mb file write/read: 20MB/s / 100MB/s
1000Mb file write/read: 10MB/s / 10MB/s

Why is it getting slower with increasing file size?
I could confirm this behavior also on the mounted network drive. Small files still work fine, big ones like an iso image are extremely slow.

Does anyone have an idea, what the problem is?
Is it maybe a problem of the EXT4 file system, when the volume gets full?
Or is it an issue with the SAMBA configuration, like some else recently posted?

I really need some help, thanks a lot in advance.

Update:
I now found a solution. I switched off SAMBA, disabled all the options in the SAMBA menu (right position) and then re-stared SAMBA again. The restart took like 10mins, but now I have 100/100 MB/s read write speed again. I hope some of the devs reads this posts and cross-checks how all those SAMBA features perform on a almost full volume. (Maybe the file access cash caused this?)
As you have already seen I have a similar to yours problem although I store large files >10GB. I use the same disks WD30EFRX Red NAS. In my office I have another N7520 with 7xWD29evds disks for one year. I don't recollect it being so slow from the beginning. I suppose that this has to do with the recent firmware update... If you read me final post you will see that if you open multiple copy tasks both can run at the same speed which means that both pc&Nas&Lan setup are capable of fast transfers BUT in single task THIS IS LIMITED BY SAMBA CONFIGURATION. I have posted this to esuuport and I got a support ticket.... For the time I am transfering files to the nas for two days with the ''stunning 40mb/sec''' My old 7700pro cas easily do read/writes on the same configuration at 100mb/sec.
As you have already seen I have a similar to yours problem although I store large files >10GB. I use the same disks WD30EFRX Red NAS. In my office I have another N7520 with 7xWD29evds disks for one year. I don't recollect it being so slow from the beginning. I suppose that this has to do with the recent firmware update... If you read me final post you will see that if you open multiple copy tasks both can run at the same speed which means that both pc&Nas&Lan setup are capable of fast transfers BUT in single task THIS IS LIMITED BY SAMBA CONFIGURATION. I have posted this to esuuport and I got a support ticket.... For the time I am transfering files to the nas for two days with the ''stunning 40mb/sec''' My old 7700pro cas easily do read/writes on the same configuration at 100mb/sec.
For me everything worked fine in the first 3 weeks after I updated to the latest firmware, only recently the performance dropped. Yesterday I tried to download a DVD ISO and got only 3MB/s, totally unacceptable.

After I tried a FW downgrade (which does not work) I played around in the SAMBA settings and now everything is back to normal (see my first post). Since the performance decreased with bigger file size think it might be related to the access cash. Or maybe disabling and restarting the SAMBA service returned some settings to default values. Not really sure what did the trick, since I am not familiar with SAMBA at all. (Thats the reason why I didn't built up a NAS by myself)
I would recommend you to try the same, since its really quick.
For me everything worked fine in the first 3 weeks after I updated to the latest firmware, only recently the performance dropped. Yesterday I tried to download a DVD ISO and got only 3MB/s, totally unacceptable.

After I tried a FW downgrade (which does not work) I played around in the SAMBA settings and now everything is back to normal (see my first post). Since the performance decreased with bigger file size think it might be related to the access cash. Or maybe disabling and restarting the SAMBA service returned some settings to default values. Not really sure what did the trick, since I am not familiar with SAMBA at all. (Thats the reason why I didn't built up a NAS by myself)
I would recommend you to try the same, since its really quick.
Actually I have tried turning off MOST of the on feautes without any result.... Access file cash was the 1st thing to turn off AND IT DIID ACCELARATED WRITING TO THE NAS FROM 60-70MB/SEC TO 90-100MB/SEC!!!! BUT NOT READING FROM NAS
Combatible/native mode 1024/4096 size didn't do anything. Disabling the last option access buffer did a further degrade in reading performance..
All these apply to large files. I use the NAS to store large Bluray MKV rips (>20gb). I still believe that there is a flaw in Samba configuration which limits the bandwith.... My old 7700pro was exactly in the same lan/cable/switch position and did 90-100mb/sec Read/Write speeds...
Actually I have tried turning off MOST of the on feautes without any result.... Access file cash was the 1st thing to turn off AND IT DIID ACCELARATED WRITING TO THE NAS FROM 60-70MB/SEC TO 90-100MB/SEC!!!! BUT NOT READING FROM NAS
Combatible/native mode 1024/4096 size didn't do anything. Disabling the last option access buffer did a further degrade in reading performance..
All these apply to large files. I use the NAS to store large Bluray MKV rips (>20gb). I still believe that there is a flaw in Samba configuration which limits the bandwith.... My old 7700pro was exactly in the same lan/cable/switch position and did 90-100mb/sec Read/Write speeds...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N7510 Slow reading from NAS to PC (Windows 7 64bit Ultimate doctorC 7 2,617 02-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Last Post: doctorC
  N7510 Slow reading from NAS to PC (Windows 7 64bit Ultimate 0 762 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  N7510 became unusable slow after the 90% usage was reached 0 635 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: