Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss of Contact With Thecus Units
Having changed my broadband provider and in the process switched from a copper cable to fibre connection between the telephone exchange and the local distribution cabinet and been 'forced' to change to a new router. I have now lost contact with some of my NAS units. These were all working perfectly before the change over and, judging from the displays on the units, they still are.

In total I have six Thecus units: 1 and 2 are N4100PRO models and units 3, 4, 5 and 6 are N4200ECO models. All units have all four bays filled and hold information I do not want to lose. The disks are in Raid 6 format. Before changing service provider each unit worked to a fixed internal IP address which have to be changed to match the address range available in the new router. As part of the change I am switching to dynamic IP addresses for them with the router allocating the addresses as appropriate.

All the units are physically plugged into a single ethernet LAN which is shared with two of my computers. I have checked to cables and these are plugged in ok. Each unit has the appropriate light flickering indicating that it is 'seeing' network activity. From that point on each unit seems to have taken on a combination of characteristics unique to each unit.

Unit 1 cable connection has been moved from the LAN socket (on the back of the unit) to the WAN socket and is being recognised by the router, by the Thecus setup program, and by windows. Contents of the unit can be accessed and network drive letters have been assigned. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.

Unit 2 cable connection has been moved from the LAN socket (on the back of the unit) to the WAN socket and is being recognised by the router. The Thecus setup program fails to detect the unit. Windows does recognise the unit and contents of the unit can be accessed and network drive letters have been assigned. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.
What needs to be done to make the setup program acknowledge the presence of this unit?

Unit 3 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router and the Thecus steup program. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.
What needs to be done to make Windows recognise the unit and provide access to the files on it?

Unit 4 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router and the Thecus steup program. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.
What needs to be done to make Windows recognise the unit and provide access to the files on it?

Unit 5 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router. The Thecus setup program fails to detect the unit. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. Attempts to log-in to the admin function allow me to log-in using the admin password which calls the adm/index.php page. On arrival at that page the page fails to load past the top band and then loops round endlessly between the statement "please wait" and starting to load the page again. I am unable to access either the admin functions or the contents of the unit.
What needs to be done to make the setup program acknowledge the presence of this unit?
How do I get past the looping admin page?

Unit 6 cable connection is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 socket but it does not appear in the list of attached devices provided by the router. The Thecus setup program does detect the unit and the network IP address visible on the unit's display is one dynamically allocated by both the router and the setup program. When the IP address is called up in the browser a 'connection timed out' message is eventually displayed by the browser. Pinging the IP address returns Request Timed Out messages.
What needs to be done to make this unit visible to the router, and to windows?
What needs to be done to done to enable me to log-on to the unit's admin functions?

Any advice or solutions gratefully received. Thanks. John
Having changed my broadband provider and in the process switched from a copper cable to fibre connection between the telephone exchange and the local distribution cabinet and been 'forced' to change to a new router. I have now lost contact with some of my NAS units. These were all working perfectly before the change over and, judging from the displays on the units, they still are.

In total I have six Thecus units: 1 and 2 are N4100PRO models and units 3, 4, 5 and 6 are N4200ECO models. All units have all four bays filled and hold information I do not want to lose. The disks are in Raid 6 format. Before changing service provider each unit worked to a fixed internal IP address which have to be changed to match the address range available in the new router. As part of the change I am switching to dynamic IP addresses for them with the router allocating the addresses as appropriate.

All the units are physically plugged into a single ethernet LAN which is shared with two of my computers. I have checked to cables and these are plugged in ok. Each unit has the appropriate light flickering indicating that it is 'seeing' network activity. From that point on each unit seems to have taken on a combination of characteristics unique to each unit.

Unit 1 cable connection has been moved from the LAN socket (on the back of the unit) to the WAN socket and is being recognised by the router, by the Thecus setup program, and by windows. Contents of the unit can be accessed and network drive letters have been assigned. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.

Unit 2 cable connection has been moved from the LAN socket (on the back of the unit) to the WAN socket and is being recognised by the router. The Thecus setup program fails to detect the unit. Windows does recognise the unit and contents of the unit can be accessed and network drive letters have been assigned. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.

Unit 3 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router and the Thecus steup program. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.

Unit 4 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router and the Thecus steup program. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. I can login to the admin function via my web browser and access the various functions of the unit.

Unit 5 cable connections is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 sockets and its presence is recognised by the router. The Thecus setup program fails to detect the unit. Windows does not recognise the existence of of this unit - it does not show up in Windows Explorer. Attempts to log-in to the admin function allow me to log-in using the admin password which calls the adm/index.php page. On arrival at that page the page fails to load past the top band and then loops round endlessly between the statement "please wait" and starting to load the page again. I am unable to access either the admin functions or the contents of the unit.
How do I get past the looping admin page?

Unit 6 cable connection is plugged into the WAN/LAN1 socket but it does not appear in the list of attached devices provided by the router. The Thecus setup program does detect the unit and the network IP address visible on the unit's display is one dynamically allocated by both the router and the setup program. When the IP address is called up in the browser a 'connection timed out' message is eventually displayed by the browser. Pinging the IP address returns Request Timed Out messages.
What needs to be done to make this unit visible to the router, and to windows?
What needs to be done to done to enable me to log-on to the unit's admin functions?

Any advice or solutions gratefully received. Thanks. John
Hi John,

Did you submit a support ticket to Thecus yet? The entry is at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://esupport.thecus.com/support/">http://esupport.thecus.com/support/</a><!-- m -->

Best,
John, July 28 '14
Submitting a report ticket would be fine -IF THE PROMISED 'SHORTLY TO ARRIVE' EMAIL ON REGISTRATION HAD EVER BEEN SENT.

I registered, waited and ... nothing! And still nothing as I write this!!
It is now 14 August and still no answer forthcoming here, and no solution for the ticket raised either. The response to the ticket simply suggested things I had tried and had not worked!
It is now 14 August and still no answer forthcoming here, and no solution for the ticket raised either. The response to the ticket simply suggested things I had tried and had not worked!
i have a Thecus N4800 Eco model and i was trying to use rsync method to backup NAS folders to another windows server(2003).
But i cannot connect to the target server, invalid user authentication.
sara
i have a Thecus N4800 Eco model and i was trying to use rsync method to backup NAS folders to another windows server(2003).
But i cannot connect to the target server, invalid user authentication.
sara