Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ HAProxy ] [ 1.4.25.0 ] TCP/HTTP Load Balancer
[Image: logo-med.png]
Source : http://haproxy.1wt.eu/

Download : For all OS5 and OS6 NAS (PPC include)

http://www.thecus-france.com/HAProxy_1.4.25.0.rar

[Image: 8bbeb2ed9280551b8a845a530a690a8e.png]

About :

HAProxy is a free, very fast and reliable solution offering high availability, load balancing, and proxying for TCP and HTTP-based applications. It is particularly suited for web sites crawling under very high loads while needing persistence or Layer7 processing. Supporting tens of thousands of connections is clearly realistic with todays hardware. Its mode of operation makes its integration into existing architectures very easy and riskless, while still offering the possibility not to expose fragile web servers to the Net, such as below :

[Image: haproxy-pmode.png]

HAProxy implements an event-driven, single-process model which enables support for very high number of simultaneous connections at very high speeds. Multi-process or multi-threaded models can rarely cope with thousands of connections because of memory limits, system scheduler limits, and lock contention everywhere. Event-driven models do not have these problems because implementing all the tasks in user-space allows a finer resource and time management. The down side is that those programs generally don't scale well on multi-processor systems. That's the reason why they must be optimized to get the most work done from every CPU cycle.

It began in 1996 when I wrote Webroute, a very simple HTTP proxy able to set up a modem access. But its multi-process model cloberred its performance for other usages than home access. Two years later, in 1998, I wrote the event-driven ZProx, used to compress TCP traffic to accelerate modem lines. It was when I first understood the difficulty of event-driven models. In 2000, while benchmarking a buggy application, I heavily modified ZProx to introduce a very dirty support for HTTP header rewriting. HAProxy's ancestor was born. First versions did not perform the load-balancing themselves, but it quickly proved necessary.

Now in 2009, the core engine is reliable and very robust. Event-driven programs are robust and fragile at the same time : their code needs very careful changes, but the resulting executable handles high loads and supports attacks without ever failing. It is the reason why HAProxy only supports a finite set of features. HAProxy has never ever crashed in a production environment. This is something people are not used to nowadays, because the most common things new users tell me is that they're amazed it has never crashed ;-)

People often ask for SSL and Keep-Alive support. Both features will complicate the code and render it fragile for several releases. By the way, both features have a negative impact on performance :

Having SSL in the load balancer itself means that it becomes the bottleneck. When the load balancer's CPU is saturated, the overall response times will increase and the only solution will be to multiply the load balancer with another load balancer in front of them. the only scalable solution is to have an SSL/Cache layer between the clients and the load balancer. Anyway for small sites it still makes sense to embed SSL, and it's currently being studied. There has been some work on the CyaSSL library to ease integration with HAProxy, as it appears to be the only one out there to let you manage your memory yourself. Update [2012/09/11] : native SSL support was implemented in 1.5-dev12. The points above about CPU usage are still valid though.
Keep-alive was invented to reduce CPU usage on servers when CPUs were 100 times slower. But what is not said is that persistent connections consume a lot of memory while not being usable by anybody except the client who openned them. Today in 2009, CPUs are very cheap and memory is still limited to a few gigabytes by the architecture or the price. If a site needs keep-alive, there is a real problem. Highly loaded sites often disable keep-alive to support the maximum number of simultaneous clients. The real downside of not having keep-alive is a slightly increased latency to fetch objects. Browsers double the number of concurrent connections on non-keepalive sites to compensate for this. With version 1.4, keep-alive with the client was introduced. It resulted in lower access times to load pages composed of many objects, without the cost of maintaining an idle connection to the server. It is a good trade-off. 1.5 will bring keep-alive to the server, but it will probably make sense only with static servers.

However, I'm planning on implementing both features in future versions, because it appears that there are users who mostly need availability above performance, and for them, it's understandable that having both features will not impact their performance, and will reduce the number of components.
Stéphane Guérithault

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

PayPal Donation: https://www.paypal.me/qoolbox

My apps

##########################################################################

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

voyance - Sophrologue Hypnothérapeute Essonne 
[Image: logo-med.png]
Source : http://haproxy.1wt.eu/

Download : For all OS5 and OS6 NAS (PPC include)

http://www.thecus-france.com/HAProxy_1.4.25.0.rar

[Image: 8bbeb2ed9280551b8a845a530a690a8e.png]

About :

HAProxy is a free, very fast and reliable solution offering high availability, load balancing, and proxying for TCP and HTTP-based applications. It is particularly suited for web sites crawling under very high loads while needing persistence or Layer7 processing. Supporting tens of thousands of connections is clearly realistic with todays hardware. Its mode of operation makes its integration into existing architectures very easy and riskless, while still offering the possibility not to expose fragile web servers to the Net, such as below :

[Image: haproxy-pmode.png]

HAProxy implements an event-driven, single-process model which enables support for very high number of simultaneous connections at very high speeds. Multi-process or multi-threaded models can rarely cope with thousands of connections because of memory limits, system scheduler limits, and lock contention everywhere. Event-driven models do not have these problems because implementing all the tasks in user-space allows a finer resource and time management. The down side is that those programs generally don't scale well on multi-processor systems. That's the reason why they must be optimized to get the most work done from every CPU cycle.

It began in 1996 when I wrote Webroute, a very simple HTTP proxy able to set up a modem access. But its multi-process model cloberred its performance for other usages than home access. Two years later, in 1998, I wrote the event-driven ZProx, used to compress TCP traffic to accelerate modem lines. It was when I first understood the difficulty of event-driven models. In 2000, while benchmarking a buggy application, I heavily modified ZProx to introduce a very dirty support for HTTP header rewriting. HAProxy's ancestor was born. First versions did not perform the load-balancing themselves, but it quickly proved necessary.

Now in 2009, the core engine is reliable and very robust. Event-driven programs are robust and fragile at the same time : their code needs very careful changes, but the resulting executable handles high loads and supports attacks without ever failing. It is the reason why HAProxy only supports a finite set of features. HAProxy has never ever crashed in a production environment. This is something people are not used to nowadays, because the most common things new users tell me is that they're amazed it has never crashed ;-)

People often ask for SSL and Keep-Alive support. Both features will complicate the code and render it fragile for several releases. By the way, both features have a negative impact on performance :

Having SSL in the load balancer itself means that it becomes the bottleneck. When the load balancer's CPU is saturated, the overall response times will increase and the only solution will be to multiply the load balancer with another load balancer in front of them. the only scalable solution is to have an SSL/Cache layer between the clients and the load balancer. Anyway for small sites it still makes sense to embed SSL, and it's currently being studied. There has been some work on the CyaSSL library to ease integration with HAProxy, as it appears to be the only one out there to let you manage your memory yourself. Update [2012/09/11] : native SSL support was implemented in 1.5-dev12. The points above about CPU usage are still valid though.
Keep-alive was invented to reduce CPU usage on servers when CPUs were 100 times slower. But what is not said is that persistent connections consume a lot of memory while not being usable by anybody except the client who openned them. Today in 2009, CPUs are very cheap and memory is still limited to a few gigabytes by the architecture or the price. If a site needs keep-alive, there is a real problem. Highly loaded sites often disable keep-alive to support the maximum number of simultaneous clients. The real downside of not having keep-alive is a slightly increased latency to fetch objects. Browsers double the number of concurrent connections on non-keepalive sites to compensate for this. With version 1.4, keep-alive with the client was introduced. It resulted in lower access times to load pages composed of many objects, without the cost of maintaining an idle connection to the server. It is a good trade-off. 1.5 will bring keep-alive to the server, but it will probably make sense only with static servers.

However, I'm planning on implementing both features in future versions, because it appears that there are users who mostly need availability above performance, and for them, it's understandable that having both features will not impact their performance, and will reduce the number of components.
Stéphane Guérithault

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

PayPal Donation: https://www.paypal.me/qoolbox

My apps

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

voyance - Sophrologue Hypnothérapeute Essonne 
Hello
Download link does not work!!!
Please fix thanks
Hello
Download link does not work!!!
Please fix thanks
Someone who has this module and wouldn't mind sharing it?