Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Guard. Or: How to sync USB data to the NAS
Hi all,

I have a PC which doesn't have direct connection to my NAS (N4520). On this PC I backup it's data to a USB drive (using robocopy as it is a Win7 machine). Every once in a while I wanna synchronise the data from my USB disk to my NAS (one way: USB disk to NAS only). I thought I could just connect the disk to the NAS and use the Thecus embedded Data Guard module for this but I have found several limitations. This leads me to the assumption that Data Guard is not suitable for synchronising data from USB to NAS.

Data Guard --> Add --> Local Backup
1) All tasks (Import, Copy etc.) are made for single runs only! That means there is no way to sync data but only to copy data (overwritting the old and most probably unchanged data)
2) All tasks can not be scheduled. "Scheduled backup" and chosing Raid Folder to Raid Folder doesn't even allow me to pick a USBHDD as source.

Does anybody have any advice of a simple to use Thecus or 3rd party module that fits my need? As mentioned it should sync data, not copy and it should be possible to start it with one click.

Currently, I use rsync on the SSH command line (thanks for "screen" in ModBase1 module by the way!). However, this requires manual login per SSH, is error prone and non intuitive.

Thanks for your help
Cheers
tobi
Hi all,

I have a PC which doesn't have direct connection to my NAS (N4520). On this PC I backup it's data to a USB drive (using robocopy as it is a Win7 machine). Every once in a while I wanna synchronise the data from my USB disk to my NAS (one way: USB disk to NAS only). I thought I could just connect the disk to the NAS and use the Thecus embedded Data Guard module for this but I have found several limitations. This leads me to the assumption that Data Guard is not suitable for synchronising data from USB to NAS.

Data Guard --> Add --> Local Backup
1) All tasks (Import, Copy etc.) are made for single runs only! That means there is no way to sync data but only to copy data (overwritting the old and most probably unchanged data)
2) All tasks can not be scheduled. "Scheduled backup" and chosing Raid Folder to Raid Folder doesn't even allow me to pick a USBHDD as source.

Does anybody have any advice of a simple to use Thecus or 3rd party module that fits my need? As mentioned it should sync data, not copy and it should be possible to start it with one click.

Currently, I use rsync on the SSH command line (thanks for "screen" in ModBase1 module by the way!). However, this requires manual login per SSH, is error prone and non intuitive.

Thanks for your help
Cheers
tobi
what do you mean by direct connection ???

if it is reachable on your LAN or have Internet access you can always use DeltaCopy and activate the Rsync Daemon on your NAS

that how i backup my Windows Storage Server office Data to my home to have an offsite replication
Stéphane Guérithault

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

PayPal Donation: https://www.paypal.me/qoolbox

My apps

##########################################################################

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

voyance - Sophrologue Hypnothérapeute Essonne 
what do you mean by direct connection ???

if it is reachable on your LAN or have Internet access you can always use DeltaCopy and activate the Rsync Daemon on your NAS

that how i backup my Windows Storage Server office Data to my home to have an offsite replication
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

Hi Stéphane,

I guess my wording was not clear. Wink

The PC has no way to access the NAS. Neither LAN nor WAN. Only way is to backup the PC data to USB-drive.

This USB data should be synced to the NAS (one way from USB to NAS). Full synchronisation is sufficient i.e. snapshots or this sort if things is not requirred.

Is this really such a special task? I thought this is a straight forward use-case??

Cheers
tobi
Hi Stéphane,

I guess my wording was not clear. Wink

The PC has no way to access the NAS. Neither LAN nor WAN. Only way is to backup the PC data to USB-drive.

This USB data should be synced to the NAS (one way from USB to NAS). Full synchronisation is sufficient i.e. snapshots or this sort if things is not requirred.

Is this really such a special task? I thought this is a straight forward use-case??

Cheers
tobi
if it is only , you still have the USB Backup button (it is on n25x60 on N2310) but not sure of this on n45x0...

mayb e accessible withing the LCD menu.. never had N45x0 in my hands

the USb COpy feature backup the content from the USB into the NAS
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

if it is only , you still have the USB Backup button (it is on n25x60 on N2310) but not sure of this on n45x0...

mayb e accessible withing the LCD menu.. never had N45x0 in my hands

the USb COpy feature backup the content from the USB into the NAS
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

Hi Stephane,

not sure but I guess the USB-copy with the front button is a COPY action and not a SYNC action. It would copy 300GB data over and over again instead of only transmitt the differences :-(

Furthermore, when I do a test run with a USB stick connected at the front, the NAS beeps and says "2014-03-15 09:31:05 [N4520] : One touch copy fail". Before starting the copy with the front button I could see in "USBHDD" share that the stick was mounted correctly. After pressing copy button, stick is ejected... Not trust worthy!

So really waiting for more of your kind suggestions :-)

Cheers
tobi
Hi Stephane,

not sure but I guess the USB-copy with the front button is a COPY action and not a SYNC action. It would copy 300GB data over and over again instead of only transmitt the differences :-(

Furthermore, when I do a test run with a USB stick connected at the front, the NAS beeps and says "2014-03-15 09:31:05 [N4520] : One touch copy fail". Before starting the copy with the front button I could see in "USBHDD" share that the stick was mounted correctly. After pressing copy button, stick is ejected... Not trust worthy!

So really waiting for more of your kind suggestions :-)

Cheers
tobi
indeed,

ultimate solution :

what about a bash scritp which rsync from USB to DEST... :mrgreen:
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

indeed,

ultimate solution :

what about a bash scritp which rsync from USB to DEST... :mrgreen:
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

Qoolbox Wrote:what about a bash scritp which rsync from USB to DEST... :mrgreen:
Yeah, I guess this is the most pragmatic solution. Any idea how to do put that in a simple to use way? I.e. any chance to run the script with WebUI?

DataGuard seems to do a good job syncing data from Thecus TO another device/NAS using rsync. It really works with a single click once the task has been setup... I just do not understand why syncing from a USB disk is not implemented. I guess I put this into the Wishlist section.
Qoolbox Wrote:what about a bash scritp which rsync from USB to DEST... :mrgreen:
Yeah, I guess this is the most pragmatic solution. Any idea how to do put that in a simple to use way? I.e. any chance to run the script with WebUI?

DataGuard seems to do a good job syncing data from Thecus TO another device/NAS using rsync. It really works with a single click once the task has been setup... I just do not understand why syncing from a USB disk is not implemented. I guess I put this into the Wishlist section.
if you have script...

yes it is can be done easy...

indeed this a feature to request in Dataguard
Stéphane Guérithault

My apps

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Data Guard] Problem Connecting to DeltaCopy Server suceht 2 3,318 01-10-2016, 04:00 AM
Last Post: rienge01
  Data Burn Scripting libertycreative 0 1,689 07-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Last Post: libertycreative
  [Data Guard] wbree 6 4,260 03-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Last Post: ladlasheikh
  n2560 & DATA GUARD mtogni 23 6,673 08-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Last Post: tobilux
  Data Guard: Task won't terminate, how to clear? realdragonluv 5 3,599 05-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Last Post: markison
  Data Guard (2.03.09.cdv) Connection timeout scottlightner 2 2,070 07-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Qoolbox
  [SubSonic] [4.7.1] Connect to other then /raid/data/share janpara 6 2,318 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Qoolbox
  [SubSonic] [4.7.1] Connect to other then /raid/data/share 0 1,331 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  [Data Guard] 0 2,620 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Data Guard: Task won't terminate, how to clear? 0 2,148 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Data Guard (2.03.09.cdv) Connection timeout 0 1,249 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Data Burn Scripting 0 1,042 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  [Data Guard] Problem Connecting to DeltaCopy Server 0 1,638 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: