Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow transfer speeds and high RAM usage
I've raised a support ticket, but I thought someone on this forum may have experienced the same issue before and could help me resolve it.

About 1-2 weeks ago, the throughput on my NAS from both my MacBook Pro (via AFP) and Windows 7 x64 (via SMB) machines started being horrendously slow. The maximum rate I've seen this week, for example, is 300 KB/s. In the past I could easily read at 50 MB/s and write around 30 MB/s.

I've been poking around after all other diagnostics failed to turn up anything (full disk checks, file system check etc.) Here's what I've noticed:

1. Even on a clean/fresh boot, the NAS is immediately using 95% of the RAM. If I watch this in the monitor screen, it jumps to 100% as files are transferred. (The CPU remains at 1% or lower.)
2. The icon in the upper right gives the log count as over 20,000, but there are only 13 logs in the actual log. I've tried clearing all logs and rebooting the NAS, but that number persists. Also, clicking on it does nothing. (I've tried every browser I have.) See below:

[Image: 72HbTRh.png]

I'm guessing that there's a direct relation between the high RAM usage and the poor transfer speeds, but I'm not able to pin down what's suddenly causing the RAM to be 100% used. In the past, the highest I've ever seen the RAM usage go is 20%. It's also strange that no log entries are being created at all that something is wrong (to explain why the RAM usage might be so high).

And then there's that log count. Does anyone know what that it meant to refer to, or am I just getting a bogus number? I've found nowhere in the system where I can clear those out.

I'm on firmware 5.03.02, and the 4 drives in the RAID-5 (ext4) are all Seagate 2TB drives (model number ST2000DM001-9YN1). At present, 939 GB are free (of the 5.10 TB available) on the NAS.

I am just stuck and baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi blairblends,

May I have the ticket no please?

Best,
John, Jan 20 '14
LJG-277507
LJG-277507
Hi blairblends,

Sorry that we need a remote connection to check it out. Not sure if port forwarding is doable in your network?
Any thought please update to ticket LJG-277507.

Thanks,
John, June 16 '14
Hi blairblends,

Sorry that we need a remote connection to check it out. Not sure if port forwarding is doable in your network?
Any thought please update to ticket LJG-277507.

Thanks,
John, June 16 '14

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High memory usage? ngupta 1 162 06-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thecus - Yvon
  Transfer Speeds on N4100 Pro? Richie086 11 3,298 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Last Post: paulieman
  Slow transfer speeds and high RAM usage 0 1,409 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: