Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccurate Smart info
Hi Thecus,

I've just had the worst experience in years.

All 3 hdds in the NAS did not report any failure but instinct told me drive 1 was dying.
I've been doing bad block scans on all disks but they always never gave me any error.

I decided to scan drive 1 on my PC. To my horror, it's full of bad sectors!

I got a spare disk and put it into the NAS to do a rebuild and guess what? Drive 3 also threw IO errors after a few hours of rebuilding!
The rebuild failed ultimately. I have since pulled out all the drives and booted up ubuntu to try to recover the raid.

And you know what? Smart info for both drive 2 and 3 reported bad sectors on the drives!!!

This is a nightmare! Why aren't they reported to the NAS? That's what smart info is for isn't it?
To warn us of impending failure...

Now I'm trying to get my hands on more spare disks to clone and try to recover my data.

My request to you: Please "upgrade" the smart info tool in your firmwares, to make them as accurate as possible.
This will save a lot of time and trouble for all your customers.
Hi Thecus,

I've just had the worst experience in years.

All 3 hdds in the NAS did not report any failure but instinct told me drive 1 was dying.
I've been doing bad block scans on all disks but they always never gave me any error.

I decided to scan drive 1 on my PC. To my horror, it's full of bad sectors!

I got a spare disk and put it into the NAS to do a rebuild and guess what? Drive 3 also threw IO errors after a few hours of rebuilding!
The rebuild failed ultimately. I have since pulled out all the drives and booted up ubuntu to try to recover the raid.

And you know what? Smart info for both drive 2 and 3 reported bad sectors on the drives!!!

This is a nightmare! Why aren't they reported to the NAS? That's what smart info is for isn't it?
To warn us of impending failure...

Now I'm trying to get my hands on more spare disks to clone and try to recover my data.

My request to you: Please "upgrade" the smart info tool in your firmwares, to make them as accurate as possible.
This will save a lot of time and trouble for all your customers.
Hello,

this is already done for OS6 devices, OS5 x64 will have it in a next firmware, I have no info concerning the OS5 x86 version

I can may be do a module to check manualy the SMART within a webui, it will be quite simple
Stéphane Guérithault

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

PayPal Donation: https://www.paypal.me/qoolbox

My apps

##########################################################################

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

voyance - Sophrologue Hypnothérapeute Essonne 
Hello,

this is already done for OS6 devices, OS5 x64 will have it in a next firmware, I have no info concerning the OS5 x86 version

I can may be do a module to check manualy the SMART within a webui, it will be quite simple
Stéphane Guérithault

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

PayPal Donation: https://www.paypal.me/qoolbox

My apps

rolling now for competitor, i do not support anymore Thecus apllications due to lack of time

voyance - Sophrologue Hypnothérapeute Essonne 
Qoolbox Wrote:Hello,

Hello Qoolbox, you and fajo are real treasures to this community!

Your modules are making Thecus NAS a joy to use.
Thanks for all the contributions! Big Grin
Qoolbox Wrote:Hello,

Hello Qoolbox, you and fajo are real treasures to this community!

Your modules are making Thecus NAS a joy to use.
Thanks for all the contributions! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inaccurate Smart info 0 1,091 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: