Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing a N7510 NAS step by step?
Hi 2 all, I´m new here. Since two days I own a N7510, hope it was a good choice.
Please excuse my bad English, I´m 20 years out of school Big Grin .

I want to built up my N7510 slowly, finally with 4TB drives only, but I don´t have the money for 7 hdds.

I have only one free 4TB hdd, the rest 2x4TB, 2x3TB is full.
So I thouht I but the enpty in the NAS, copy my first full 4TB drive on it and add the 2. disc to the nas,
and so on. I havent the space to copy the data to another disc, to start with 2 discs.

Is there a possibilty to grow my NAS step by step, Jbod or single discs prefered?

I rote a lot here and all over the web, but it is my first NAS,
and I know only the basics about Jbod or Raid.

I would prefer to run all discs as single discs, but this is not possible, right?
So Jbod, but I can´t add a disc in Jbod, right?

Start with one hdd in RAID5? And add disc by disc?

One more question: I want upgrade th ram up to 8GB, does it worth the costs, or just 4GB?

I want use the NAS mainly as a big storage, XBMC hdmi to TV,
I want copy the important data to some 2,5" USB 3.0 HDDs,
these are also full at the moment! I don´t need a RAID, JBOD or single discs will be enough for me.

Thanx a lot for your advice :!:

Regards,
Newbie8
Newbie8 Wrote:Hi 2 all, I´m new here. Since two days I own a N7510, hope it was a good choice.
Please excuse my bad English, I´m 20 years out of school Big Grin .

I want to built up my N7510 slowly, finally with 4TB drives only, but I don´t have the money for 7 hdds.

I have only one free 4TB hdd, the rest 2x4TB, 2x3TB is full.
So I thouht I but the enpty in the NAS, copy my first full 4TB drive on it and add the 2. disc to the nas,
and so on. I havent the space to copy the data to another disc, to start with 2 discs.

Is there a possibilty to grow my NAS step by step, Jbod or single discs prefered?

I rote a lot here and all over the web, but it is my first NAS,
and I know only the basics about Jbod or Raid.

I would prefer to run all discs as single discs, but this is not possible, right?
So Jbod, but I can´t add a disc in Jbod, right?

Start with one hdd in RAID5? And add disc by disc?

One more question: I want upgrade th ram up to 8GB, does it worth the costs, or just 4GB?

I want use the NAS mainly as a big storage, XBMC hdmi to TV,
I want copy the important data to some 2,5" USB 3.0 HDDs,
these are also full at the moment! I don´t need a RAID, JBOD or single discs will be enough for me.

Thanx a lot for your advice :!:

Regards,
Newbie8

Hi Newbie8...and welcome to Thecus Forums.

Well - to be honest - even if the majority of data is not critical, running JBODs / RAID-0 is not really thoughtful.
May brother just came across a huge data loss when one of the HDDs dropped out of the 4-Disk JBOD.

At least there´re 3 RAIDs (including Single Disk JBOD) possible in the N7510, so there´s no way to use 7 disks as single JBODs.
My proposal is definitely to shoot for a RAID-5 in the future, starting with a 2-Disk RAID-1 now. This RAID-1 can then (without data loss and fully working Services) migrated online to a 3-Disk RAID-5 in the next step...and so on.

As you plan to use LocalDisplay / XBMC, RAM beyond 3GB is useless thru a Limitation of the 32bit graphics Driver.
So adding a suitable 2nd 2GB RAM module to the existing one will be the most thoughful step.

Christian
Hi Christian,
thank you for your answer!
OK, I need two hdds to start, sh+#!
I cant use the hdds without RAID or JBOD?

If I have to start with 3 discs, I have a choice of
HGST Deskstar 4TB HDS724040ALE640,
Seagate ST4000VN000 or Seagate ST4000VM000
Which one is better for the N7510?

The Nas will only run on demand, not 24/7, Media NAS!

Regards,
Newbie8
Newbie8 Wrote:Hi Christian,
thank you for your answer!
OK, I need two hdds to start, sh+#!
I cant use the hdds without RAID or JBOD?

If I have to start with 3 discs, I have a choice of
HGST Deskstar 4TB HDS724040ALE640,
Seagate ST4000VN000 or Seagate ST4000VM000
Which one is better for the N7510?

The Nas will only run on demand, not 24/7, Media NAS!

Regards,
Newbie8

Hi Newbie8,

each internal Disk Needs to be "assigned" to a RAID - which includes JBOD as "RAID" as well.
This may have something to do with how LVM (Logical Volume Manager) together with mdadm handles the disks.
Of course you can start with a single disk (as JBOD) but cant go anywhere from there when it comes to an Expansion.

"Growing" in Terms of volume/capacity growth requires a RAID-5 (or -6) when it comes to several disks.
But you can start with a 2-Disk RAID-1 without breaking up the RAID again for Expansion.

I have pretty good experience with the Hitachi Deskstars in NAS Environments myself, but the Seagate surveillance drives should be pretty suitable also.
For all kind of drives - frequently spin up / spin downs or shut down / boot of the NAS will raise the risk for a malfunction of the drive.

Cheers,
Christian
I think that this information is the best.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing a N7510 NAS step by step? 0 1,287 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: