Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving toward a 10Gbit/sec network
Hi,
Currently I am looking for "numbers" before moving towards a 10Gbit/sec network using Raid10 with 6 drives on the N6850....
I know x2 sets of RAID1 are configured under Raid10 (RAID0 is done over these two RAID1)."
Does it mean that with 6 drives in N6850 the read speed will be x6 & the write speed x2 ?
Can someone post real world numbers here ?

Thanks - Drukman.
Hi Drukman,

I don't have the numbers handy for you. But the performance might not be the case: read x6 and write x2.
Based on the testing experience of RAID 5 and RAID 6 under giga bit network, I did not see the x6 and x2 things.

Thanks,
John, Oct 28 '13
John Tsai Wrote:Hi Drukman,
I don't have the numbers handy for you. But the performance might not be the case: read x6 and write x2.
Based on the testing experience of RAID 5 and RAID 6 under giga bit network, I did not see the x6 and x2 things.
Thanks,
John, Oct 28 '13

Dear John,
Raid5 and Raid10 are totally different "ANIMALS".

Raid5 with 6 drives can write "real data" to 5 drives at once.
Raid10 with 6 drives can write only to 2 drives at once (because there are 2 sets of x3 drives in each set).

So IMHO the write speed of the N6850 in Raid10 will be the same as of any other Thecus Raid10 NAS with only 4 drives.

Simple calculation:
2x100MB/Sec (writing to 2 drives, each with a write speed of 100MB) = 200MB/Sec = 1.6Gbit/sec.
Since this number is higher than the wire speed of a Giga network, the test numbers from a 10Gbit/sec network are needed. Big Grin

Furthermore:
This is why all tests done over a Giga network always show 100-115MB/sec or so, which is the wire speed minus collusion's.

Conclusion:
Giga network test numbers are needed !

All the best - Drukman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving toward a 10Gbit/sec network 0 859 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: