Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4x4TB as RAID10 --> 8TB?
Hello,

There are now several 4TB discs in the compatibility list for the 4100PRO, however there is a footnote recommending not to use more than three...

If I get four, can I run them as a RAID10 or RAID1 and get a full 8TB capacity, or will one sit idle?

Which firmware level do I need for this?

Thanks,
Cobalt
Hi Cobalt,

I thought N4100PRO is old and the power supply unit might be not strong enough. Sad
Using 4TB drives in an old NAS box could be risky.

Thanks,
John, Aug 7 '14
Thanks. If it is power that it should be no issue - I had 4x 1.5 TB drives which did require peak 2.8A for spin-up, compared to 2.0A for the Seagate 4TB drives; the picture for operating power requirements is similar (i.e., less than the drives I am using at the moment).

One disc has failed (after four years of 24x7 - not bad, for both the server and for the drives) so instead of just replacing - ultimately - all four drives, I want to upgrade from my current 4x1.5TB RAID5 / approx. 4 TB to 4x4TB RAID10 / approx. 7TB net.

That leaves the question whether the firmware can deal with it...
Hi Cobalt,

I did not mean a calculation of power consumption spec. It concerns to a health condition decay of power supply unit.

Say, I got a desktop computer built with 4 HDD and 400Watt PSU running flawlessly for three years. Recently the old computer just recognize two or three HDD everytime it boots up. The old PSU can supply 4 HDD when it is brand new, but now it just work with 2 HDD.

Since the N4100Pro is old thus the PSU should be weaker compared to the brand new condition. That's what I mean.

Thanks,
John, Aug 9 '13
I have been running mine with 4x4TB Hitachi drives in a raid5 for a month now with no issues.
I have been running mine with 4x4TB Hitachi drives in a raid5 for a month now with no issues.
Hi omarh,

Thanks for sharing this info. :-)

Best,
John, Sep 4 '13
Hi omarh,

Thanks for sharing this info. :-)

Best,
John, Sep 4 '13
thanks for the info
omarh if i may ask
what is the formatted capacity on your raid5 with 4-4TB drives?
thank you for your time
thanks for the info
omarh if i may ask
what is the formatted capacity on your raid5 with 4-4TB drives?
thank you for your time
I have replaced the power supp with a bigger external one. Works fine,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4x4TB as RAID10 --> 8TB? 0 2,335 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: