Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thecuslink.com seems to be down or Offline / No DDNS service
Hello Falk,

Thanks for your reply. During the last weeks, the timout message did take usually 1-3 min to appear finally on the browser window. But today, the Gateway Timeout messages comes up more or less immidiately ( 200 ms) after I press the 'enter' key.

I already suspected higher internet traffic to play a role, when it takes up to those 3 mins of resolving tries to come up with Gateway timeout. But this doesn't apply to the experience of today, as the message prompts up real fast.

As told before, the same computers, the same proxy (I haven't got any access to those systems) the same setup on the NAS. this all works our fine usually later during the day here.

I will try to figure out, when it comes back to operation. ( close in the time, when it changes).
Does Taiwan block the local instances of the internet from foreign access during work time there?

Thanks for your efforts.
Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

I just tried it again (12:05 GMT+1) . With the same link, the same computer and from the same network and it works and is perfomring quite well. ( less than a second to get to the NAS). Smile

the last tryout was aroiund 10:30 ( GMT+1) where it didn't work

As I did not change anything (to my knowledge), I cannot understand what makes the difference.

Our NAS has got a scheduled shutdown every night from 23:30 until 8:20 the next day. Is there a certain timstamp, the NAS does the re-login to the DDNS?
This is just an idea, which could explain your experience from ther server logs as well as mine from the user side.

Thanks for looking into this.

Kind regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

I just tried it again (12:05 GMT+1) . With the same link, the same computer and from the same network and it works and is perfomring quite well. ( less than a second to get to the NAS). Smile

the last tryout was aroiund 10:30 ( GMT+1) where it didn't work

As I did not change anything (to my knowledge), I cannot understand what makes the difference.

Our NAS has got a scheduled shutdown every night from 23:30 until 8:20 the next day. Is there a certain timstamp, the NAS does the re-login to the DDNS?
This is just an idea, which could explain your experience from ther server logs as well as mine from the user side.

Thanks for looking into this.

Kind regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

I just want to give some feedback for the last two weeks:
Last week CW14 the ...thecuslink.com DDNS didn't work for me in most cases. It just worked on 2 of 5 days in the later afternoon ( MESZ / GMT+2)
After heavy problems on Tuesday this week (Web Front End of the NAS did not start durting boot at all - Needed reboot to be accessible) It works fine just from shortly after the boot of our NAS since Wednesday morning.

I didn't change anything ( as far as I know) on the NAS setup or the Network in our LAN (just had to restart the Router due to different issues once).

So I wouldn't know, what is the root cause for the positive trend now.

Anyhow, if it would continue to work as it does actually, it will be just fine for me.

Thanks so far for any actions taken.

Best Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

I just want to give some feedback for the last two weeks:
Last week CW14 the ...thecuslink.com DDNS didn't work for me in most cases. It just worked on 2 of 5 days in the later afternoon ( MESZ / GMT+2)
After heavy problems on Tuesday this week (Web Front End of the NAS did not start durting boot at all - Needed reboot to be accessible) It works fine just from shortly after the boot of our NAS since Wednesday morning.

I didn't change anything ( as far as I know) on the NAS setup or the Network in our LAN (just had to restart the Router due to different issues once).

So I wouldn't know, what is the root cause for the positive trend now.

Anyhow, if it would continue to work as it does actually, it will be just fine for me.

Thanks so far for any actions taken.

Best Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

the Thecus DDNS service remains a continous source of surprises for me - Sorry to tell-. After it did work surprisingly well the past three weeks, I got to a new level of surprise today, when I tried to connect to our NAS via the <yourservername>. thecuslink.com address.
Aftger I typed it in, I got a notification, that the site hasn't got a proper security certificate ( which never happened before) and when I tell the browser to go on to the address ( same link I use now for more than a year) I get connected to some Fritz!box web interface, where I am told to log in.
And the is one detail, which puzzles me most. I am pretty sure, that I haven't got any Fritz!box at home.

At the same time, my alternative (still paid) DDNS service does work fine and I can get to our NAS without any hassle.

So where did the <myservername>.thecuslink.com send me to?
Has thecus allowed the server name to be used twice?
How should I continue?

It is really a pitty, everytime, I start to think, that Thecus has got it right now, something strange happens and the wervice is gone nuts again.

Will Thecus ever get this one working in a robust manner? I am doubting even more after today's experience.

Any help or actions recommended would be appreciated.

Bye

bluebaer33
Hello again,

Yesterday afternoon I was able to connect to our NAs via the <yourname>.thecuslink.com DDNS server again. ( No longer got connected to anyones Fitz!box 3270) :roll:
But today morning, the service seems to be back to it's 'pre-April' operation scheme, where it doesn't work at all in the morning hours ( MESZ = GMT+2). So effectively I got again the mssage back, that the server may be down our unavailable for whatever reason not reachable. Sad

So let's see, what happens after Midday here.

By the way, Thecus is still heavily aedvertising, that the DDNS service would be easy and uncomplicated and that it comes for free with the N4520 ( and other models)

To be honest after 1 year of experience with the service, that is a complete lie and misleading potential customers.
Best Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

The latest change in the Thecus DDNS status is, that the url <mythecusNAS>.thecuslink.com got categorized with our IT to be a 'known threat' to the company Intranet and got therefore blocked.
So the practical use of this service shrinks down even further for me.
Just to mention, the DDNS service , which comes with the Synology NAS, I did set up for a small company did NOT get blocked.
Obliviously there is a way to maintain a server in a way, that it gets regarded save even on the tight standards of our IT.

But that is just another shortfall with the Thecus DDNS service.

When Service ceases to be good it ceases to be Service!
Hello,

The latest change in the Thecus DDNS status is, that the url <mythecusNAS>.thecuslink.com got categorized with our IT to be a 'known threat' to the company Intranet and got therefore blocked.
So the practical use of this service shrinks down even further for me.
Just to mention, the DDNS service , which comes with the Synology NAS, I did set up for a small company did NOT get blocked.
Obliviously there is a way to maintain a server in a way, that it gets regarded save even on the tight standards of our IT.

But that is just another shortfall with the Thecus DDNS service.

When Service ceases to be good it ceases to be Service!
Dear Sir,

Following FAQ & work around for your reference:

Thecus ID unstable in my area, have any alternative solution to do? ( ThecusID DDNS )
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/627/0/thecus-id-unstable-in-my-area-have-any-alternative-solution-to-do--thecusid-ddns">http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import ... cusid-ddns</a><!-- m -->
Yvon.
Dear Sir,

Following FAQ & work around for your reference:

Thecus ID unstable in my area, have any alternative solution to do? ( ThecusID DDNS )
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/627/0/thecus-id-unstable-in-my-area-have-any-alternative-solution-to-do--thecusid-ddns">http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import ... cusid-ddns</a><!-- m -->
Yvon.
Hello,

the thecuslink.com Service wan't working at all again yesterday afternoon. The service experience is as reliable as the weather forecast for a two weeks time frame. ( You need a bigger portion of luck to find it up and working at a time) For debugging puposes, I did klick on the 'logout' button in the NAS font end Thecus ID feature. But that is, where the issue starts. When the server is down, you cannoot fill in the Thecus ID, Password and DDNS name to the front end sucessfully. It will be searching for the server for an indefinite time.
So you have to find another one of those lucky moments when the server is up and running again to fill in those details. And this cannot be done remotely as you just won't be able to get your NAS via the Web without it. Cry

So 'i am hoping for another sunny moment during today afternoon, when I will be in reach of the LAN, where the NAS is plugged in to.

To let the customer wait for those lucky moments, when everything is just -by chance- working seems to be a kind of policy at Thecus, from my experience. :roll:

Let's wait for the sun to raise for today!
Hello again. some more report:

On Monday, the service was up and running for some hours. But since Monday evening ( MEZ =GMT+1) it is down again. There is once more no possibility to log in for the NAS.

that is really that type of service I will try to avoid in my future.

Obviously nobody in Thecus is willingly to get it working and even less willingly to keep it working.
For the end user it is kind of frustrating.

Best Regards

bluebaer33

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thecuslink.com seems to be down or Offline / No DDNS service 0 9,974 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: