• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thecuslink.com seems to be down or Offline / No DDNS service
... just to provide some prove, the logs that indicate error of today:

Code:
2014-03-19 01:47:35 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.321 seconds response time
2014-03-19 01:57:46 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.318 seconds response time
2014-03-19 02:24:08 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.336 seconds response time
2014-03-19 02:44:26 ns2 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.313 seconds response time
2014-03-19 03:15:51 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:17:01 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:18:12 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:20:23 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:21:33 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:22:43 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 06:04:38 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.343 seconds response time
2014-03-19 08:50:28 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.339 seconds response time
2014-03-19 09:18:50 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.303 seconds response time

/Falk
Further information und module downloads at FaJo.de

I decided to finally stop module development and maintenance. Existing modules are still available for download for now.
... just to provide some prove, the logs that indicate error of today:

Code:
2014-03-19 01:47:35 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.321 seconds response time
2014-03-19 01:57:46 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.318 seconds response time
2014-03-19 02:24:08 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.336 seconds response time
2014-03-19 02:44:26 ns2 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.313 seconds response time
2014-03-19 03:15:51 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:17:01 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:18:12 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:20:23 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:21:33 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 03:22:43 ns1 dig      CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call
2014-03-19 06:04:38 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.343 seconds response time
2014-03-19 08:50:28 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.339 seconds response time
2014-03-19 09:18:50 ns1 dig      DNS CRITICAL - 5.303 seconds response time

/Falk

I decided to finally stop module development and maintenance. Existing modules are still available for download for now.
Hello,

the service is still not working today:
Tried at 8:35 (GMT+1) and did not work. Sad
Tried again at 10:00 ( GMT+1) and did not work. Sad

Thanks for your efforts.

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

the service is still not working today:
Tried at 8:35 (GMT+1) and did not work. Sad
Tried again at 10:00 ( GMT+1) and did not work. Sad

Thanks for your efforts.

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

Just further reports:
today, 25.03.2014 i tried now several times to get a connection to our NAs via the thecuslink DDNS service. And it is really disapointing, as it doesn't work again.

I tried several times from 8:35 to 10:15 (GMT+1) and the server is not accessible via the Net.

To run a reliable and wirking DDNS server can't be rocket sience in my point of view, as there are several other OEMS (e.g. ASUS, D-LINK, ....) running those in a quite reliable manner.
So this leads me to the impression, that Thecus is either not capable to get it right or not willingly to get it right with the thecuslink.com service.

But if so, Thecus should stop to advertise this feature to customers. As it needs to be reliably working, before it is of use in any way. If it is not reliable, it is not a valid service anyhow.
I am still waiting for some answer from thecus, whether this service will get fixed or whether it will be stopped completely.

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hello,

Just further reports:
today, 25.03.2014 i tried now several times to get a connection to our NAs via the thecuslink DDNS service. And it is really disapointing, as it doesn't work again.

I tried several times from 8:35 to 10:15 (GMT+1) and the server is not accessible via the Net.

To run a reliable and wirking DDNS server can't be rocket sience in my point of view, as there are several other OEMS (e.g. ASUS, D-LINK, ....) running those in a quite reliable manner.
So this leads me to the impression, that Thecus is either not capable to get it right or not willingly to get it right with the thecuslink.com service.

But if so, Thecus should stop to advertise this feature to customers. As it needs to be reliably working, before it is of use in any way. If it is not reliable, it is not a valid service anyhow.
I am still waiting for some answer from thecus, whether this service will get fixed or whether it will be stopped completely.

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Today, 26.03.2014

I tried it at 8:35 (GMT+1) No Service, Server is uavailable Cry

"It ceases to be service, when it ceases to be good! "

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Today, 26.03.2014

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
bluebaer33 Wrote:Today, 26.03.2014

Kind Regards

bluebaer33

Hi bluecaer33,

at 8:35 (CET) I do not see any outages in the logs. Today the service was down between 4:25 and 5:15 CET. Yesterday you reported issues between 8:35 and 10:15 which my logs do not confirm either - only some delays during the day and one timeout at 9:23 CET.

The service is (still) not stable nor is it configured correctly that is for sure (the zone data still lacks the second name server and only lists ns1) ... reported over and over but still not fixed ...

Are you sure your issues are not caused by your ISP or by the name servers you use ? Not being able to access your NAS could be caused by almost anything that is inbetween or is used (ISPs/companies Name Servers, network connectivity, network load, ...)

/Falk

bluebaer33 Wrote:Today, 26.03.2014

Kind Regards

bluebaer33

Hi bluecaer33,

at 8:35 (CET) I do not see any outages in the logs. Today the service was down between 4:25 and 5:15 CET. Yesterday you reported issues between 8:35 and 10:15 which my logs do not confirm either - only some delays during the day and one timeout at 9:23 CET.

The service is (still) not stable nor is it configured correctly that is for sure (the zone data still lacks the second name server and only lists ns1) ... reported over and over but still not fixed ...

Are you sure your issues are not caused by your ISP or by the name servers you use ? Not being able to access your NAS could be caused by almost anything that is inbetween or is used (ISPs/companies Name Servers, network connectivity, network load, ...)

/Falk

Hello Falk,

i just did another tryout at 8:40 ( GMT+1) which did lead to the same result: Gateway tiemout: The server may be busy, permantely down, or may be unreachable due to ..... .
At the same time (valid for all those issues reported) I can reach my NAS without any issues via the sedcondary DDNS service I got for this one ( paid service). therefore I would assume, that neither my computer here in the office, nor our NAS or it's connection to the Internet are causing the issue.

Furthermorte I gave it a try yesterday afternoon ( 14:00 GMT+1) which was successful without any issues :mrgreen:

What is different in those morning hours (in Europe)?
My target would still be to be able to stop save the cost of the paid DDNS service as soon as the Thecuslink is going to work in a reliable manner for our purposes.

Thanks a lot for youe efforts

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hello Falk,

i just did another tryout at 8:40 ( GMT+1) which did lead to the same result: Gateway tiemout: The server may be busy, permantely down, or may be unreachable due to ..... .
At the same time (valid for all those issues reported) I can reach my NAS without any issues via the sedcondary DDNS service I got for this one ( paid service). therefore I would assume, that neither my computer here in the office, nor our NAS or it's connection to the Internet are causing the issue.

Furthermorte I gave it a try yesterday afternoon ( 14:00 GMT+1) which was successful without any issues :mrgreen:

What is different in those morning hours (in Europe)?
My target would still be to be able to stop save the cost of the paid DDNS service as soon as the Thecuslink is going to work in a reliable manner for our purposes.

Thanks a lot for youe efforts

Kind Regards

bluebaer33
Hi bluebaer33,

just checked the monitoring logs but could not find issues around 8:40 CET except for a single delayed response (3sec response time, which is within the specs .. usually resolvers wait for about 5sec).

The gateway timeout tells me you are using a proxy to get access to the internet (your NAS). If you can reach your NAS by IP or another DDNS service while using the Thecus DDNS service leads to an error message I would next check the resolvers used by the proxy server or the proxy servers configuration itself - keep an eye on the timeout values configured on both of them (if you have access to these systems at all).

How long does it take for the error message to appear after you started your request ?

Keep in mind that the Thecus DNS server(s) is/are located in Taiwan, so you have round trip times of 300 ms or more. You may as well experience packet loss. Depending on your companies ISP the routing may differ from from mine, so even if I do not experience issues you may, but this would be an issue with your companies ISP then.

Cheers,
Falk

Hi bluebaer33,

just checked the monitoring logs but could not find issues around 8:40 CET except for a single delayed response (3sec response time, which is within the specs .. usually resolvers wait for about 5sec).

The gateway timeout tells me you are using a proxy to get access to the internet (your NAS). If you can reach your NAS by IP or another DDNS service while using the Thecus DDNS service leads to an error message I would next check the resolvers used by the proxy server or the proxy servers configuration itself - keep an eye on the timeout values configured on both of them (if you have access to these systems at all).

How long does it take for the error message to appear after you started your request ?

Keep in mind that the Thecus DNS server(s) is/are located in Taiwan, so you have round trip times of 300 ms or more. You may as well experience packet loss. Depending on your companies ISP the routing may differ from from mine, so even if I do not experience issues you may, but this would be an issue with your companies ISP then.

Cheers,
Falk

Hello Falk,

Thanks for your reply. During the last weeks, the timout message did take usually 1-3 min to appear finally on the browser window. But today, the Gateway Timeout messages comes up more or less immidiately ( 200 ms) after I press the 'enter' key.

I already suspected higher internet traffic to play a role, when it takes up to those 3 mins of resolving tries to come up with Gateway timeout. But this doesn't apply to the experience of today, as the message prompts up real fast.

As told before, the same computers, the same proxy (I haven't got any access to those systems) the same setup on the NAS. this all works our fine usually later during the day here.

I will try to figure out, when it comes back to operation. ( close in the time, when it changes).
Does Taiwan block the local instances of the internet from foreign access during work time there?

Thanks for your efforts.
Kind Regards

bluebaer33

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thecuslink.com seems to be down or Offline / No DDNS service 0 9,899 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: