Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New raid5 build taking too long
Hello I just setup my N4100EVO and doing the initial Raid5 build with 4 x 3TB 7200rpm Seagate drives which are on the compatibility list. It has been going for nearly 24 hours now and only at about 24%. That means about 1% per hour. At this rate, it will take me 4 days to build the initial Raid. Is this normal?
Hello I just setup my N4100EVO and doing the initial Raid5 build with 4 x 3TB 7200rpm Seagate drives which are on the compatibility list. It has been going for nearly 24 hours now and only at about 24%. That means about 1% per hour. At this rate, it will take me 4 days to build the initial Raid. Is this normal?
Yes. Mine is 3x 2T Seagate ST2000DM001 and took 37 hours to build RAID5. While building, I copied my files back on without problems. Installed modules, too. I couldn't set up the iSCSI until build was complete. Hope this helps.
It has been running for 105 hours now and finally at 98.5% I cant see how this can be normal. I must have been disillusion to think otherwise however, 299$ for a NAS....you get what you pay for..
Mine took a few days as well. I've never had anything raid 5 before, so I just assumed it was par for the course.
I am experiencing the same thing with 3tb WD reds.

Its not at all "normal" for even inexpensive RAID building. The only "difference" is that if the array can be written to during intial building- that's a bit unique.

If memory serves it only took an hour or so on a mediasonic 4bay, also a cheapie (not NAS) esata box.
msmith9xr4 Wrote:I am experiencing the same thing with 3tb WD reds.

Its not at all "normal" for even inexpensive RAID building. The only "difference" is that if the array can be written to during intial building- that's a bit unique.

If memory serves it only took an hour or so on a mediasonic 4bay, also a cheapie (not NAS) esata box.

I can confirm that it took me about 4 1/2 days to build a RAID5 with 4x3TB Seagate ST3000DM001.

It built successfully and I am using it right now.
One of the brand new drives we installed into it failed after the RAID array built. It was at 6.4% after 21 hours. That's 14.5 days to rebuild if ONE drive fails. That's absurd. There was NO data on the drive so I just wiped it and rebuilt it. Only have to wait 100~ hours again.

EDIT: 0.5% and 4 hours. OH BOY!
One of the brand new drives we installed into it failed after the RAID array built. It was at 6.4% after 21 hours. That's 14.5 days to rebuild if ONE drive fails. That's absurd. There was NO data on the drive so I just wiped it and rebuilt it. Only have to wait 100~ hours again.

EDIT: 0.5% and 4 hours. OH BOY!
I have put 4x 4TB drives in as RAID 5 on the N4100EVO.
Currently 11 hours into the build and only 1.3% complete. Currently looking at around 35 days to build at this rate. How can this be right? Am I doing something wrong?
I have put 4x 4TB drives in as RAID 5 on the N4100EVO.
Currently 11 hours into the build and only 1.3% complete. Currently looking at around 35 days to build at this rate. How can this be right? Am I doing something wrong?
I had the same experience here, so I just went with JBOD, the redundancy would have been nice however, I can't wait a month for it to rebuild if a drive goes dead.
I had the same experience here, so I just went with JBOD, the redundancy would have been nice however, I can't wait a month for it to rebuild if a drive goes dead.
It goes much faster if you do not have the web interface open.
Still it is horribly slow, RAID5 on 4x3TB took me 3 days :-(
My N4200eco is stil building raid (9DAYS!!!) whit 3tb wd red disks it cant be normal. I'm going to rip the drives out of it it makes me crazy.