Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALL MY DATA LOST!!!
So I made a post about losing a disk in my N4100 Pro disk array. I bought 2 disk replacements to fix my issue. So I replaced the supposed dead disk with a new one to rebuild the array. The NAS found the disk to be faulty after about 20% rebuild. SO I replaced THAT disk with the second new spare and now it find that disk id dead. During all this another disk ends up dead and with 2 brand new disks on hand jugglign to make them work my entire 4.5TB disk array is dead.

I cannot fucking believe this. I bought this thing for backups and to store my archives. Now I have lost 10+ years of files due to fuckups on this POS NAS. I have tested and mounted all the disks and they are fine. WHatever firmware and crap had decided to say that my RAID is corrupted. I relied on this NAS to backup my info and it had totally wrecked total destruction on my data. I made a RAID 5 for a reason and all my data is lost. WTF.

This is not user error. I replaced the dead disk and i saw the array being rebuilt. I saw the new disk being rejected and i replaced it with a new disk. I again saw that disk being rejected and watching my entire array dissolve and be worthless. All these so call failed disks worth fine and have been verified by me.

Thank you Thecus for me trusting my data with you. I know have over 4TB and 10 years of data lost because your NAS devices have some type of error. Again the disks are fine because I am now using them in your competitors NAD box. I am too depressed and angry to think of any legal action. I hope you understand what i just wrote. I LOST 10+ YEARS OF DATA BECAUSE OF YOUR DEVICE. if I did anything wrong please tell me. How does replacing a supposed dead disk with 2 spares cause each disk to report being dead TWICE all while using supported and legit disks.

My dead wife pics, my family, my writings for my book, my picture archives, everything lost because of your firmware issues or whatever that caused a brand new disk to be seen as i/o corrupted.

10 years of my life gone. All based on a device that promotes itself on reliably and data redundancy via RAID levels. This is pathetic, I am going to let all the media blogs knows and all the social media sites know about this. This is a total disservice to people like myself who buy these devices for security and reliability. I am frankly shocked that this happened. I have never in all of my years of being a sysadmin seen a NAS device that had lost a disk not be able to replace the faulty disk with a working one. How is it that this rejects every BRAND NEW disk as being faulty with i/o errors?
Josh,

Your unfortunate incident prompted me to immediately do a backup of the NAS. Right now I'm copying all of the files to an external WD drive. Slow, painful process that "shouldn't" be necessary but I'm taking your unfortunate experience as a lesson learned.

Cheers,
Techrep
I've lost data to my NAS previously following FW upgrade, but also to another brand NAS, and to a RAID card in a PC when upgrading to 64 bit driver, and to external disk, and to virus attack. The moral is to always have a backup of your data. No device is perfect, and hardware can fail, an upgrade can cause problems, or a system crash can corrupt your data. Switching to another brand NAS will not guarantee your data is any safer. Always have a second copy of your valuable files on another different device just in case one device fails, and have another copy on a third device if you cannot afford to lose it, and a copy in the cloud just in case...

I think manufacturers do oversell the protection offered by their storage solutions, which should NEVER be relied on to always protect your data ... all devices will eventually fail ... its only a matter of when.
I hear what you are saying nbrus but I bought a NAS with REDUNDANT capabilities for my backups. So I should have a backup of my backup? Why stop there I should just buy 10 NAS all backing up each other. The thing is not only did I have no warning but the fact that I put in 2 brand new disks and the array sees the 4th disk as bad i/o. The disks are fine I know that. The is a THECUS issue and the fact that they have not commented or offered a solution is troubling.

On a good note. Since these boxes use some form of software RAID I was able to enlist the help of my super uber linux buddy to help me restore my data by creating the array on a desktop with linux built in RAID tools. 10+ hours later and I have almost all my data back. I should have stuck with FreeNAS but nowhere did I think a free oss raid os would be better than a commercial solution, which they are and that is even more sad.

So yeah, my first Thecus box and my last. I'll pay extra for QNAP or something. Over $1000 mess to fix this simple solution of being able to rebuild a disk array by replacing A SINGLE DISK.
Joshwt,

"NAS with REDUNDANT capabilities for my backups. So I should have a backup of my backup?"

This is actually a common misconception about RAID and one that has been perpetuated by almost all RAID vendors. RAID is a high availability solution that is designed to allow hardware repairs to storage arrays to be done while maintaining the availability of the data. When a drive fails and is replaced the RAID controller begins to do 'double duty' by reconstructing the 'lost' data on the failed drive from parity data on the remaining drives in the array while reconstructing it and serving it to users attached to the network.

Many users confuse this with having a backup, and as your sad and unfortunate experience points out, RAID is not truly a 'backup' solution. For example I'm in employed as a broadcast engineer in a multichannel master control / TV up-link facility. We have numerous RAID enabled on-air servers that play out video all of which are served by a number of Isilon NAS solutions. The critical data on the NAS (TV shows, interstitial and spots) are all -protected- by an HSM based system called DIVA that sends copies of the material to a large tape robot in the same machine room. At a previous employer we actually had the robot in a separate building across the parking lot and attached with fiber.

I recognize that this is of little solace to you.

Cheers,
Techrep
I'm sorry about your problems. All may not be lost though. You could try using some of the data recovery services out there. They're not cheap, but if the data is valuable it may be worth your while.
To be honest - it is your fault - and please don't be offended by that statement, it's not meant personally.

First of all, a raid is _NO_ backup. If you use this NAS as your backup drive, your ORIGINAL files should be stored at another place like your pc you use everyday. That the raid rebuild failed is not the problem of Thecus alone - got here some servers with adaptec crontrollers, 3ware etc. and we had SOME issuses with raid rebuilding in the past. A raid CAN fail with the rebuild. This is not a problem of any specific company of software.

If you have data on the NAS you won't save anywhere else, then BACKUP THESE TOO. E.G. at home I got a backup USB drive for my important data. And the really important files (documents, pictures of our children etc.) is also uploaded into a cloud space (encrypted of course). So I got the main files on my pc, backup on my usb drive AND the cloud backup in case the house burns down.

If your data is important you have to store it at multiple, different places. And yes, a raid on FreeNAS can also easily fail. And there are other problems too - like engery resets etc. - raid controller without USV and BBU? Have fun if the power fails and the raid is coruppted (because the data in the write cache wasn't saved)...
To be honest - it is your fault - and please don't be offended by that statement, it's not meant personally.

First of all, a raid is _NO_ backup. If you use this NAS as your backup drive, your ORIGINAL files should be stored at another place like your pc you use everyday. That the raid rebuild failed is not the problem of Thecus alone - got here some servers with adaptec crontrollers, 3ware etc. and we had SOME issuses with raid rebuilding in the past. A raid CAN fail with the rebuild. This is not a problem of any specific company of software.

If you have data on the NAS you won't save anywhere else, then BACKUP THESE TOO. E.G. at home I got a backup USB drive for my important data. And the really important files (documents, pictures of our children etc.) is also uploaded into a cloud space (encrypted of course). So I got the main files on my pc, backup on my usb drive AND the cloud backup in case the house burns down.

If your data is important you have to store it at multiple, different places. And yes, a raid on FreeNAS can also easily fail. And there are other problems too - like engery resets etc. - raid controller without USV and BBU? Have fun if the power fails and the raid is coruppted (because the data in the write cache wasn't saved)...
I fully understand your frustration
I have a drobo that i'm using it as a test ONLY box now a days.
After two month of every single day from morning to an evening time i tried recovering lost 3,5TB of data i learned my lesson
Before i place ANYTHING AT ALL AS MY BACKUP UNIT i now a days test it for next month or two under different loads setting and so on
and the thing i could find so far is a single usb drive multiply that by 3-5 of them since companies that sell them do not care about data nor a people
all they are for the money of it, with a bit of TV/youtube making us as a human believe whole bunch of things that it's true, when it's not

So not toooooo get long story
From that i have seen from demo they are using EXT4 that means that all(most) of your data is still and easelly recoverable

You ask me how?
It will cost you an arm and a leg since from what understood that you had about 3-5 drives
1) Amazon / pricewatch to buy about 5-7 2TB drives and many many many usb enclosures
2) Google for a raid recovery software
3) Make note at what numbering/position was your drives been when it has happened
4) Once you have it all situated meaning drives software enclosures are in place
5) Read on how to recover data from raid(google) because recovering data from raid systems can be tricky rather then simple like for an example from a stand alone drive
How do i know this???
"well after two months(about 7-8 weeks in total) of day and night reading trying to recover, reproduce, and so on i would consider my self now a day as an expert on a data recovery from a single drive to mufti drive solutions"
6) i'll give you about 2-3 days until YOU WILL start seen your data coming back to you as long as there is no MAJOR PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO YOUR DRIVES

I must admit at the end of my recovering process of data, it made me a bit of a paranoiac freak when it comes to DATA now a days and looking back from hearing and seen DATA admins always been kinda freaky paranoiac about data and only they can ever touch it, i think now i look at them and fully understand why they act/ed this way when it comes to data

Best of luck to you sir with your data
I fully understand your frustration
I have a drobo that i'm using it as a test ONLY box now a days.
After two month of every single day from morning to an evening time i tried recovering lost 3,5TB of data i learned my lesson
Before i place ANYTHING AT ALL AS MY BACKUP UNIT i now a days test it for next month or two under different loads setting and so on
and the thing i could find so far is a single usb drive multiply that by 3-5 of them since companies that sell them do not care about data nor a people
all they are for the money of it, with a bit of TV/youtube making us as a human believe whole bunch of things that it's true, when it's not

So not toooooo get long story
From that i have seen from demo they are using EXT4 that means that all(most) of your data is still and easelly recoverable

You ask me how?
It will cost you an arm and a leg since from what understood that you had about 3-5 drives
1) Amazon / pricewatch to buy about 5-7 2TB drives and many many many usb enclosures
2) Google for a raid recovery software
3) Make note at what numbering/position was your drives been when it has happened
4) Once you have it all situated meaning drives software enclosures are in place
5) Read on how to recover data from raid(google) because recovering data from raid systems can be tricky rather then simple like for an example from a stand alone drive
How do i know this???
"well after two months(about 7-8 weeks in total) of day and night reading trying to recover, reproduce, and so on i would consider my self now a day as an expert on a data recovery from a single drive to mufti drive solutions"
6) i'll give you about 2-3 days until YOU WILL start seen your data coming back to you as long as there is no MAJOR PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO YOUR DRIVES

I must admit at the end of my recovering process of data, it made me a bit of a paranoiac freak when it comes to DATA now a days and looking back from hearing and seen DATA admins always been kinda freaky paranoiac about data and only they can ever touch it, i think now i look at them and fully understand why they act/ed this way when it comes to data

Best of luck to you sir with your data
Really it is funny, cataha and Maerad ... First inscription, first post ... to tell what ?

Coming to report that the faulty error is the end user of a very low product ??? Be Serious ... are you working for Thecus and make trolling around ??

If you are hired by thecus to reply and polishing the product then really .... thecus is worst than i was expecting ...
Really it is funny, cataha and Maerad ... First inscription, first post ... to tell what ?

Coming to report that the faulty error is the end user of a very low product ??? Be Serious ... are you working for Thecus and make trolling around ??

If you are hired by thecus to reply and polishing the product then really .... thecus is worst than i was expecting ...
No i'm not trolling nor i'm working for a Thecus
i'm looking @ their product to buy to test it for my experiences since i'm still in search of RAID solution
and like i stated i TEST EVERY UNIT I GET MY HAND ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO MONTHS Before i even going to consider it as a product, from the time drobo eat my 3,5TB of data i learned ALOT and trust no one on words of advertising on there data solution until i test it for my self!!!
so now it's Thecus time for my tests to see what they made out of
My drobo experience is true to the fullest extend (i even got banned from drobo site for telling them the true in their face)
my two months of data recovery is also true

So if you tried to troll or accuse others of doing so you failed @ it
DUMB *****

No when it comes to Thecus product since i'm still waiting for there product to arrive i'm reading and
I can tell you right now that two things i already don't like about it from just looking at it
1) why they use one type of processor on a home base and other processor type on business end of a box
2) lack of memory for there raid solution on a home base and not interchangeable memory module
3)......
Once i get my hand on it i know it for sure how this company is operating
No i'm not trolling nor i'm working for a Thecus
i'm looking @ their product to buy to test it for my experiences since i'm still in search of RAID solution
and like i stated i TEST EVERY UNIT I GET MY HAND ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO MONTHS Before i even going to consider it as a product, from the time drobo eat my 3,5TB of data i learned ALOT and trust no one on words of advertising on there data solution until i test it for my self!!!
so now it's Thecus time for my tests to see what they made out of
My drobo experience is true to the fullest extend (i even got banned from drobo site for telling them the true in their face)
my two months of data recovery is also true

So if you tried to troll or accuse others of doing so you failed @ it
DUMB *****

No when it comes to Thecus product since i'm still waiting for there product to arrive i'm reading and
I can tell you right now that two things i already don't like about it from just looking at it
1) why they use one type of processor on a home base and other processor type on business end of a box
2) lack of memory for there raid solution on a home base and not interchangeable memory module
3)......
Once i get my hand on it i know it for sure how this company is operating
Jesus ... nice to see you learn to be polite :-)

Anyway stay away from Thecus ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raid lost, unable to mount data voulme ruffruff 6 3,610 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Last Post: ruffruff
  Raid lost, unable to mount data voulme 0 2,698 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: