Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having problems copying large files
So...
Can we get back to the problem at hand?
As I says in my antepenultimate post, I was testing 2GB+ files transfers with Samba in compatibility mode. It was working for some files, but that is clearly not the solution, because I've got the same problem with the last transfers I've tried. Sad
By "same problem" I mean: my NAS stopped working completely and I have no other solution than reboot it. And I cannot access the web interface, nor stop it with the power button, so it's a "hard" reboot. :x
I really want to know if this limitation is tied to the software or hardware, because it appears that some other brands have the same issue.
I haven't found a thing in the RAID specifications about a limitation on the last 10% (nor 5 or even 1), so, from where does it come? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing in the Linux kernel software RAID.
No one have the slightest idea? A faint hint? Something? :?:
Please, enlighten us ! Idea
N4100Pro - OS: OMV Stone Burner 2.2.5 (Kernel 3.2.0) - RAM: 1GB - Capacity: 12TB RAID 5 - FS: XFS
So...
Can we get back to the problem at hand?
As I says in my antepenultimate post, I was testing 2GB+ files transfers with Samba in compatibility mode. It was working for some files, but that is clearly not the solution, because I've got the same problem with the last transfers I've tried. Sad
By "same problem" I mean: my NAS stopped working completely and I have no other solution than reboot it. And I cannot access the web interface, nor stop it with the power button, so it's a "hard" reboot. :x
I really want to know if this limitation is tied to the software or hardware, because it appears that some other brands have the same issue.
I haven't found a thing in the RAID specifications about a limitation on the last 10% (nor 5 or even 1), so, from where does it come? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing in the Linux kernel software RAID.
No one have the slightest idea? A faint hint? Something? :?:
Please, enlighten us ! Idea
N4100Pro - OS: OMV Stone Burner 2.2.5 (Kernel 3.2.0) - RAM: 1GB - Capacity: 12TB RAID 5 - FS: XFS
I just tried some differents combinations of settings:
AFP Only -> 2 files (1.55 & 2.1GB): both OK, but 1h+ transfer each :!:
SMB/CIFS Only -> 2 files (1.55 & 2.1GB): first OK, second failed, same transfer time... Sad
AFP + Bonjour -> 2 files (1.6 & 2GB): first failed, second OK ...erm... And the same supraluminic speed
SMB/CIFS + Bonjour -> 2 files (2.2 & 1.7GB)... Guess what? The two OK! ...gnnnn... And the speed... ooohhyeah... same old same old :|
AFP + Bonjour + uPnP -> 2 files (...pfff, can't remember, more than 1.5GB each)
SMB/CIFS + Bonjour + uPnP -> 2 files... yeah... More than 1.5GB... etc...blah blah blah...
Almost 2h30 for each transfer of 2 files, the first time I tested CIFS was in compatibility mode, so I uses native mode this time, no changes.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not... Everytime it's extremely incredibly ssssllllooooooowwwww (read it in slow motion...) :|
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark... :roll:
Anyway! All my tests doesn't give the slightest start of a lead to investigate (at my not-so-geek-y-level) so, if you have an idea, try it!
When I was searching for a solution, I've seen here a possible explanation to this limitation.
As an ex-unix/linux user, I remember that mkfs keeps 5% (for ext2, 3 & 4) of the space for the root user, and you can tune this with the tunefs command or something like that (I will look for the manpage later), as I said, it's a possible explanation, but in my case it's more than 10%, in the case of this post it's way more!
I will continue my research...
The command is tune2fs, my bad. Here's the manpage

EDIT: The space allocated for your data seems to be already tuned to 0%, at least on my NAS when I verified, so... another dead end :?
It appears that — in my case — it is a software related problem. When I tried Slax 7.0.8 and OMV 0.5.48 instead of the ThecusOS, my upload capacity came back (and were gone anew when I replaced the DOM with ThecusOS on...)
So as I need to have access to my data and I need to be able to upload NOW, not when a new 32 bits ThecusOS will be released, I removed the DOM with the 5.03.02 ThecusOS and use the latest OMV instead.
rchapoteau Wrote:Think I found the solution!

I just made 2 changes, and I'm not positive on which one did it (though I'm almost positive)

On that same screen with the unix extensions, I disabled Samba anonymous notifications, and I changed Samba to compatible mode (which I assume is the real change I needed to make).

When I tried copying a file it IMMEDIATELY started working.

Hope this helps people out.

rchapoteau,

Thanks so much for your suggestion, it was the Samba compatibility that did the trick. I was really worried that I was going to have to look at a new NAS, however it is now working fine on 5.03.02!

Thanks.