Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing up from HyperV
I am running 3.04.03 firmware on an N4100Pro. I have it on my colocation LAN at my hosting center and had hoped to back up several servers to it using VHD files as backup destinations. In Microsoft 2008 Server HyperV, I get the following error: "The machine account 'User' does not have read/write access to the file share \\NAS\directory\file.VHD."
I would like to most simply allow NTFS permissions to the file on the NAS, or be able to back up to it. I tried to set up the ADS settings on the N4100Pro. My server is on a WORKGROUP (Active Directory is not running) so I used the following:
Workgroup/Domain Name: WORKGROUP
ADS/NT Support: Disable
Authentication Method: NT
ADS/NT Server Name: HVS (the name of the server)
ADS/NT Realm: WORKGROUP
Administrator ID: the administrator of HVS
Administrator Password: x x x x

It gives me the error "ADS Server or ADS Realm Error (Maybe DNS server cannot resolve the name) Fail to Join ADS Domain!"

I have made the HVS Server the IP of the gateway, which runs a DNS Server and can see all the serves in my colocation rack, in DNS server settings. DNS is not running on the Workgroup HVS Server anyway.

Is the N4100Pro able to be set up to allow my HyperV to write to the VHD files I created on it, given that this is only possible per Microsoft "as long as your NAS allows you to grant access to the machine accounts for your physical servers" (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/5868acd4-3c1e-4883-a799-b25ba84a0d6e">http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 5ba84a0d6e</a><!-- m -->)?

Other ways I am thinking I may be able to get around this are:
Could I set up this NAS as a direct attached storage device for the HyperV host (via USB or something) and format it NTFS instead of using the NAS features?
Could I set up a share that ignores NAS-based ACL settings and allows the group or user "everyone" read/write access on the share?

Please let me know if these are options or if I could be doing something else to make this work.

Thanks,
John
I am running 3.04.03 firmware on an N4100Pro. I have it on my colocation LAN at my hosting center and had hoped to back up several servers to it using VHD files as backup destinations. In Microsoft 2008 Server HyperV, I get the following error: "The machine account 'User' does not have read/write access to the file share \\NAS\directory\file.VHD."
I would like to most simply allow NTFS permissions to the file on the NAS, or be able to back up to it. I tried to set up the ADS settings on the N4100Pro. My server is on a WORKGROUP (Active Directory is not running) so I used the following:
Workgroup/Domain Name: WORKGROUP
ADS/NT Support: Disable
Authentication Method: NT
ADS/NT Server Name: HVS (the name of the server)
ADS/NT Realm: WORKGROUP
Administrator ID: the administrator of HVS
Administrator Password: x x x x

It gives me the error "ADS Server or ADS Realm Error (Maybe DNS server cannot resolve the name) Fail to Join ADS Domain!"

I have made the HVS Server the IP of the gateway, which runs a DNS Server and can see all the serves in my colocation rack, in DNS server settings. DNS is not running on the Workgroup HVS Server anyway.

Is the N4100Pro able to be set up to allow my HyperV to write to the VHD files I created on it, given that this is only possible per Microsoft "as long as your NAS allows you to grant access to the machine accounts for your physical servers" (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/5868acd4-3c1e-4883-a799-b25ba84a0d6e">http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 5ba84a0d6e</a><!-- m -->)?

Other ways I am thinking I may be able to get around this are:
Could I set up this NAS as a direct attached storage device for the HyperV host (via USB or something) and format it NTFS instead of using the NAS features?
Could I set up a share that ignores NAS-based ACL settings and allows the group or user "everyone" read/write access on the share?

Please let me know if these are options or if I could be doing something else to make this work.

Thanks,
John
Your NAS turned on ActiveDirectory? If turned, you must use access through ADS with AD account.
If you not use AD, you must turn off AD features on your NAS. I think...
Thecus N4100PRO 1Gb, v5.02.01, SAMSUNG SpinPoint F4 HD204UI x4 on RAID5
Your NAS turned on ActiveDirectory? If turned, you must use access through ADS with AD account.
If you not use AD, you must turn off AD features on your NAS. I think...
I turned on AD because if I dont, all the options are greyed out. However, it doesnt work either way, with it turned on or off. The server doesnt truly use "Active Directory" per se, it is on a Workgroup. But it appears that on the NAS I have to enable the AD setting even for workgroups.
I turned on AD because if I dont, all the options are greyed out. However, it doesnt work either way, with it turned on or off. The server doesnt truly use "Active Directory" per se, it is on a Workgroup. But it appears that on the NAS I have to enable the AD setting even for workgroups.
Is it possible to set up a share with completely open ACL?
Is it possible to set up a share with completely open ACL?
If Your are not use AD, You must turnoff AD features on NAS. You must setup user access on shared directory by ACL. And You must turn NFS, ftp, smb, or any else - what you need for Your backup.
If Your are not use AD, You must turnoff AD features on NAS. You must setup user access on shared directory by ACL. And You must turn NFS, ftp, smb, or any else - what you need for Your backup.
Is it possible to turn off AD and also ACL on the device or share, to enable even the local machine account on the HyperV host to get read/write access to the VHD file I created on the share, without having to pass it through?

Or, are you able to help me get past the DNS issue I am seeing with the attempt to turn on AD...since this is a "workgroup" and not a domain, would the AD setting even work? It says "workgroup" but it isnt working for me...
Is it possible to turn off AD and also ACL on the device or share, to enable even the local machine account on the HyperV host to get read/write access to the VHD file I created on the share, without having to pass it through?

Or, are you able to help me get past the DNS issue I am seeing with the attempt to turn on AD...since this is a "workgroup" and not a domain, would the AD setting even work? It says "workgroup" but it isnt working for me...
It has the option for NT or ADS, I have tried both, but the error I get either way is "ADS server or ADS Realm error (maybe dns server cannot resolve the name). Fail to join ADS domain!"

Is there a way to test pinging from the NAS? Is there a firmware upgrade that might fix this?
It has the option for NT or ADS, I have tried both, but the error I get either way is "ADS server or ADS Realm error (maybe dns server cannot resolve the name). Fail to join ADS domain!"

Is there a way to test pinging from the NAS? Is there a firmware upgrade that might fix this?
Tried the firmware 5x no dice...RMA completed and unit shipped back Sad too bad this didnt work for me.