Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N4100PRO Won't Boot
I have an N4100PRO that is getting stuck during boot. When I power the unit on the display reads "Booting..." Then after a few seconds I hear an alarm tone that lasts for 2-3 seconds. At this point the display continues to read "Booting..." and nothing further happens. It just sits in this state forever. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Al
I have an N4100PRO that is getting stuck during boot. When I power the unit on the display reads "Booting..." Then after a few seconds I hear an alarm tone that lasts for 2-3 seconds. At this point the display continues to read "Booting..." and nothing further happens. It just sits in this state forever. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Al
I have the same problem, i have installed fw 5.01.04

thanks
milannet
I have the same problem, i have installed fw 5.01.04

thanks
milannet
I spoke with Thecus tech support. They had me power down the unit, remove the disks and then restart. The unit came up fine. I then shut it down via the menu interface, reinstalled the disks and then powered up the unit. This time it came up fine and recognized the raid set. The raid set is "healthy".

I had a power outage yesterday. My N4100PRO is on a UPS w/ surge protection but the battery is getting old so it didn't out last the power outage. I ran into this problem when I booted the system after the power outage. It's possible that this had something to do with the problem.

Thanks to Thecus tech support for their help.

Al
I spoke with Thecus tech support. They had me power down the unit, remove the disks and then restart. The unit came up fine. I then shut it down via the menu interface, reinstalled the disks and then powered up the unit. This time it came up fine and recognized the raid set. The raid set is "healthy".

I had a power outage yesterday. My N4100PRO is on a UPS w/ surge protection but the battery is getting old so it didn't out last the power outage. I ran into this problem when I booted the system after the power outage. It's possible that this had something to do with the problem.

Thanks to Thecus tech support for their help.

Al
Same problem; had a power outage but was away and outage outlasted the battery in my UPS. The unit was off when I discovered the problem. When I try to boot up the N4100PRO, it turns on with the blue power indicator blinking, emits a 2 second alarm, then powers down the hard drive cooling fan, and sticks with the message "uP Ver:004, Booting..." on the LCD display. The unit does not power itself completely off, it just sits with the blinking power indicator and the message on the display for as long as I allow it to do so.

I powered down the unit, removed the hard drives, and rebooted but it continues to do the same thing every time.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Is there a way to boot up from a USB stick and if so, does anyone have the boot up file?
We have the same problem, received an email notice the device was nearing 90% full now we cannot load the Login screen or FTP to it, the device comes online for a moment after a power down (not long enough to delete / free up space) and then it's gone again.

Surely there is a way to access it in these situations or to have a safe guard that says if it's not able to perform an action then restart itself ?
We have the same problem, received an email notice the device was nearing 90% full now we cannot load the Login screen or FTP to it, the device comes online for a moment after a power down (not long enough to delete / free up space) and then it's gone again.

Surely there is a way to access it in these situations or to have a safe guard that says if it's not able to perform an action then restart itself ?
Many thanks to Wouter in Holland who is extremely helpful and knowledgeable he had us power down remove hard disk restart and then enter hard disks again.

The issue was caused by only having 12KB of space on the 2TB device, having deleted around 600mb of old stuff it's hung again and we are locked out once more.

Again I ask why dont we have line of code that checks to see if a place can be ping'd and if not after X time restart to delete the folder where you have a duff 200mb of data then restart

Often these devices are many miles away.
I just had a similar issue to this.

I have had my N4100PRO for about 3 years now, maybe more! I have had two power supplies fail in that time and had just finished installing a new one, got it to boot fine then took it upstairs to put it back where it lives and couldn't power it up. Took it all apart again and saw that the RAM module looked a little out of socket.

Fixed by removing and re-seating the RAM module. It is back up and running now.

Don't know if anyone else has this issue, but mine takes a small eternity to boot (~5-6 minutes).
I just had a similar issue to this.

I have had my N4100PRO for about 3 years now, maybe more! I have had two power supplies fail in that time and had just finished installing a new one, got it to boot fine then took it upstairs to put it back where it lives and couldn't power it up. Took it all apart again and saw that the RAM module looked a little out of socket.

Fixed by removing and re-seating the RAM module. It is back up and running now.

Don't know if anyone else has this issue, but mine takes a small eternity to boot (~5-6 minutes).
This happened to my N4100Pro which was also pretty full (1660GB used of 1790) on 4x1 TB drives. I had a power cut and it got stuck at the "booting" screen when powering up. I ordered and tried a replacement DOM - no luck, then I found and tried the original 512MB RAM (I had upgraded to 2GB) and it got a bit further and said "Repair DOM" so I swapped the DOMs again (I think for the new one). It then booted with a constant red light and constant beep but I could see the data on the network so I have started copying it to my new data drive. [EDIT] I have since swapped the RAM and it's not the RAM that's at fault. It can't be a problem with available space because the NAS wouldn't boot with NO drives in it.

While that was happening I logged into the admin console and found that the RAID had only been reconstituted out of drives 1 and 2. Drives 3 and 4 were available so I marked them as spares and the RAID has started rebuilding (it is now at 1.1% with 1400+ minutes to go). The tone has stopped but the red light is still on. I am now going to leave it alone for 24 hours and delete the data as it is transferred to create more space. [EDIT] The array has now rebuilt without problems.

My advice with anyone with this problem is to troubleshoot in this order:

* Half-pull (enough to disconnect) the drives and try and re-boot. If that works, turn off, push the drives back in and re-boot.

* If that doesn't work leave the drives out, remove the case and remove and re-seat the RAM and reboot.

* If that doesn't work and if you have spare RAM, try different RAM and re-boot.

If it doesn't go past the booting stage then you won't get far enough to boot with factory_test.ssh in the USB (search for N4100Pro reset via USB).

* If you need the data urgently and you don't want to pay £1500 to a data recovery service then remove the drives (MARK THEM CLEARLY 1,2,3 AND 4 WITH A SHARPIE), download Linux, find a computer with enough SATA ports, connect the drives, boot into Linux and use "mdadm" command to rebuild your array then copy the data to an external USB drive. You may need the 'Alternate Installation CD' and it is not for the faint-hearted and will take a weekend but that is how I recovered most of my data. NB you may irreversibly damage your data if you do something stupid at this stage like writing to the disks.

Remember if you have three drives and one spare you are not bothered about the 'spare' and you can get the data off any two of the three disks but three is better. Linux is very fast at data transfer.

* Send the N4100Pro to Thecus for repair. If you can do without your data while it is being repaired or you are a complete computer noob then this should be option 1.

IN FUTURE: Back up your NAS so that if it goes down you can swap over to your backup drive. With 4TB USB drives so cheap now, I am using a 4TB USB drive as my main drive and once a week I plug in another 4TB USB drive and use Bvckup to backup my data. Then immediately UNPLUG the second USB drive so it is not connected to your computer, this will keep it clear of viruses like CryptoLocker.

As soon as my N4100Pro is rebuilt I will be using that again, probably as backup as it's too slow now. Hope this helps.
This happened to my N4100Pro which was also pretty full (1660GB used of 1790) on 4x1 TB drives. I had a power cut and it got stuck at the "booting" screen when powering up. I ordered and tried a replacement DOM - no luck, then I found and tried the original 512MB RAM (I had upgraded to 2GB) and it got a bit further and said "Repair DOM" so I swapped the DOMs again (I think for the new one). It then booted with a constant red light and constant beep but I could see the data on the network so I have started copying it to my new data drive. [EDIT] I have since swapped the RAM and it's not the RAM that's at fault. It can't be a problem with available space because the NAS wouldn't boot with NO drives in it.

While that was happening I logged into the admin console and found that the RAID had only been reconstituted out of drives 1 and 2. Drives 3 and 4 were available so I marked them as spares and the RAID has started rebuilding (it is now at 1.1% with 1400+ minutes to go). The tone has stopped but the red light is still on. I am now going to leave it alone for 24 hours and delete the data as it is transferred to create more space. [EDIT] The array has now rebuilt without problems.

My advice with anyone with this problem is to troubleshoot in this order:

* Half-pull (enough to disconnect) the drives and try and re-boot. If that works, turn off, push the drives back in and re-boot.

* If that doesn't work leave the drives out, remove the case and remove and re-seat the RAM and reboot.

* If that doesn't work and if you have spare RAM, try different RAM and re-boot.

If it doesn't go past the booting stage then you won't get far enough to boot with factory_test.ssh in the USB (search for N4100Pro reset via USB).

* If you need the data urgently and you don't want to pay £1500 to a data recovery service then remove the drives (MARK THEM CLEARLY 1,2,3 AND 4 WITH A SHARPIE), download Linux, find a computer with enough SATA ports, connect the drives, boot into Linux and use "mdadm" command to rebuild your array then copy the data to an external USB drive. You may need the 'Alternate Installation CD' and it is not for the faint-hearted and will take a weekend but that is how I recovered most of my data. NB you may irreversibly damage your data if you do something stupid at this stage like writing to the disks.

Remember if you have three drives and one spare you are not bothered about the 'spare' and you can get the data off any two of the three disks but three is better. Linux is very fast at data transfer.

* Send the N4100Pro to Thecus for repair. If you can do without your data while it is being repaired or you are a complete computer noob then this should be option 1.

IN FUTURE: Back up your NAS so that if it goes down you can swap over to your backup drive. With 4TB USB drives so cheap now, I am using a 4TB USB drive as my main drive and once a week I plug in another 4TB USB drive and use Bvckup to backup my data. Then immediately UNPLUG the second USB drive so it is not connected to your computer, this will keep it clear of viruses like CryptoLocker.

As soon as my N4100Pro is rebuilt I will be using that again, probably as backup as it's too slow now. Hope this helps.
Great!