Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan keeps failing
Hi all,

I have had my 4100pro for over a year now and received a mail saying that the fan had failed and I should shut it down to avoid overheating which I did.

When I powered it up the fan sprang into life but reported failing every other day. So I replaced the fan and am still getting the same behaviour. I get a mail every day to say its failed (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day) then shortly afterward, either I poke it and it spins up or it spins up on its own.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do or has anyone else had this behaviour?

Thanks

starfury6
Hi all,

I have had my 4100pro for over a year now and received a mail saying that the fan had failed and I should shut it down to avoid overheating which I did.

When I powered it up the fan sprang into life but reported failing every other day. So I replaced the fan and am still getting the same behaviour. I get a mail every day to say its failed (sometimes 3 or 4 times a day) then shortly afterward, either I poke it and it spins up or it spins up on its own.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do or has anyone else had this behaviour?

Thanks

starfury6
Just a "me too" message. My 4100pro fan keeps failing about 50 times a day even after replacing the rear fan with a new one.

Tried also the N4100PRO_FW_beta_3.05.02.8.bin firmware, no changes at all.

I hope some thecus support guy could give us a clue.

Bye
Just a "me too" message. My 4100pro fan keeps failing about 50 times a day even after replacing the rear fan with a new one.

Tried also the N4100PRO_FW_beta_3.05.02.8.bin firmware, no changes at all.

I hope some thecus support guy could give us a clue.

Bye
Thanks Masaccio.

I had 5 of these overnight and the fan is once again spinning nicely.

Hello  (email)

This notification message is generated automatically from thecus (ip).
The system experienced the following event(s).

The system thecus's system fan has failed. Please shut down the system to prevent overheat.

Please be aware of the event(s) above. Also if necessary, please react to the
event(s).

==============================================
The automated message is generated at 2011-06-22 03:45:13 by thecus (raid5) (ip).
Thanks Masaccio.

I had 5 of these overnight and the fan is once again spinning nicely.

Hello  (email)

This notification message is generated automatically from thecus (ip).
The system experienced the following event(s).

The system thecus's system fan has failed. Please shut down the system to prevent overheat.

Please be aware of the event(s) above. Also if necessary, please react to the
event(s).

==============================================
The automated message is generated at 2011-06-22 03:45:13 by thecus (raid5) (ip).
Wonder if it's hardware or firmware....
Wonder if it's hardware or firmware....
If you want you can try to install the v5 firmware, maybe it is fixed then...
If you want you can try to install the v5 firmware, maybe it is fixed then...
the thought had crossed my mind, but I read a few reports of people losing disk 4 in their raid array. And it IS still 'pre-release'...
the thought had crossed my mind, but I read a few reports of people losing disk 4 in their raid array. And it IS still 'pre-release'...
Hello,

I placed the original fan back on the NAS (because clearly that wasn't the problem) and now the fail events are much less frequent (about 10 today). The fan, after about ten minutes to a failure, starts again for a couple of hours.

I fear the problem is hardware, may be in the fan control logic. After some research, i found that the kernel module that should regulate the fan is f75375s, and this module accept a "debug" parameter in /sys/module/f75375s/parameters/debug. I'm enabling debug to see more info about that problem that can be solved in software (I hope).

If the problem is hardware (thecus support, may you confirm/deny that please?), the only solution i can think about is to feed the fan power with rear usb. If even possible, it's an ugly hack, but better than toast the disks.

@nitroke: Already tried that, but the UpgradePatchForV3toV5.1.0.0_N4100PRO refuses to install and so the v5 firmware, may be because the firmware i'm currently running is a v3 beta.

Bye

Bye
Hello,

I placed the original fan back on the NAS (because clearly that wasn't the problem) and now the fail events are much less frequent (about 10 today). The fan, after about ten minutes to a failure, starts again for a couple of hours.

I fear the problem is hardware, may be in the fan control logic. After some research, i found that the kernel module that should regulate the fan is f75375s, and this module accept a "debug" parameter in /sys/module/f75375s/parameters/debug. I'm enabling debug to see more info about that problem that can be solved in software (I hope).

If the problem is hardware (thecus support, may you confirm/deny that please?), the only solution i can think about is to feed the fan power with rear usb. If even possible, it's an ugly hack, but better than toast the disks.

@nitroke: Already tried that, but the UpgradePatchForV3toV5.1.0.0_N4100PRO refuses to install and so the v5 firmware, may be because the firmware i'm currently running is a v3 beta.

Bye

Bye
I have been having a look around for a USB to 3/4 pin fan connector but havent found anything, looks like people have been doing their own ghetto mods to wire them into usb pwr.

Anything with the debug on the fan control kernel module?