Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrible Transfer Speed
I am sad to admit that I have verified that I have the worst performing NAS in the forum. I've had my N4100Pro for about a month now, and while I was convinced that something was wrong, I had to wait until I found the links to the NAS Performance Tester 1.2 to actually test my throughput. I felt that my performance was miserable, but to eliminate the memory as an issue I upgraded to 1GB as many others have suggested. My own unscientific tests indicated I had 800 to 900 kbps with the stock 256MB memory. After upgrading, I improved to just over 1Mbps.

Here is the test for a 200 MB test size....larger files took so long to complete one pass that I canceled them:

NAS performance tester 1.2 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.808.dk/?nastester">http://www.808.dk/?nastester</a><!-- m -->
Running warmup...
Running a 200MB file write on drive N: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 1.19 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.11 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 1.02 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 1.11 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 0.99 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 1.08 MB/sec
That's pretty miserable, isn't it?? I have 4 2TB WD20 drives, 2 EADS, and 2 EARS. They are formatted to Raid 10, and despite the ridiculously slow throughput, I can at least load files, and while waiting forever, retrieve them from the NAS. My SONY web connected Blu Ray player can retrieve MP3s and photos from the drive, but it won't stream any videos, whether from the NAS directly, or from the Twonky Server. Yet I can stream the exact same file from Twonky Server loaded on my Acer laptop.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. My greatest fear is that something went wrong while patching the V3 firmware to V5. As I stated in another thread, the V3 to V5 patch never did complete, so I just went ahead with the V5.01.04 firmware....which installed without issue. I've subsequently installed V5.01.05, but there was no discernible difference in operation or performance.

Thanks,
Mark
markr6754 Wrote:I am sad to admit that I have verified that I have the worst performing NAS in the forum.

Those numbers suggest one of 3 things:

1. You are not running gigabit, or if you are you have a serious network cabling problem. I would try and verify you are getting 1000Mb/s for your link speed under System Network -> WAN/LAN 1. You don't have wireless or something between your source machine and the Thecus do you?

2. Your array has some kind of problem or you have a defective cable and/or disk somewhere.

3. Your unit is just defective, or as you said you have a screwed up OS image or something...

I can say with some certainty that something is definitely wrong though - there is no way it should be that slow under normal operation.
markr6754 Wrote:I am sad to admit that I have verified that I have the worst performing NAS in the forum.

Those numbers suggest one of 3 things:

1. You are not running gigabit, or if you are you have a serious network cabling problem. I would try and verify you are getting 1000Mb/s for your link speed under System Network -> WAN/LAN 1. You don't have wireless or something between your source machine and the Thecus do you?

2. Your array has some kind of problem or you have a defective cable and/or disk somewhere.

3. Your unit is just defective, or as you said you have a screwed up OS image or something...

I can say with some certainty that something is definitely wrong though - there is no way it should be that slow under normal operation.
Just a little update.

The other night I noticed that my flatmate for some reason was transferring files faster than what I was.

I checked all the network settings on my computer and everything seemed fine. So I then switched the network cable that was connected to my PC and my TP-Link gigabit switch with a new one and presto I was transferring files at the same speed he was!

The strange thing is. The network cable I was originally using was a Belkin CAT6 cable that I brought a couple of years ago. But once this cable was replaced with a generic CAT5e cable from the same manufacturer that my flatmate is using the reading speed doubled.

Anyway here are my new transfer speeds since swapping the cable over to a CAT5e.

[Image: 4100pro_transfer.jpg]

Again just for reference my N4100PRO is still stock standard from the box and is running v3.04.03 firmware with the standard 256MB memory that originally came with it.
Thecus N4100PRO FW: V3.04.03
4 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5
to eliminate the problem, you should try to copy large files from your computer to another computer via your "gigabyte lan" (wich i'm quit sure is a 100 Mb..) and see what you get...
Thecus N4200 4*1To Raid5
Fw : 5.01.05 / OLED FW : 13
iSCSI / FTP / SAMBA / NFS
Modules : Team Speak Server 3 (merci qoolbox) / webdisk 2.0.2
Don't see any resolution, so I'm hoping someone figure something out as I have the same issue ~ results below-
Thecus is getting a dismal 1.7MB/sec. I have a 1U/4drive FreeNAS that runs at 100MB/s with the same drives.
I've also verified that the 802.3ad is software based and not a true 802.3ad, as when I enable LACP on the switch, connection is lost.

In the GUI, I've switched off MTU, port aggregation, and even tried swapping the cables. Interface shows 1000mbps in the web GUI. No difference.
running 5.02.02 FW on N4100Pro
NAS performance tester 1.4 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.808.dk/?nastester">http://www.808.dk/?nastester</a><!-- m -->
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on drive S: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 1.71 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.75 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 1.31 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 1.94 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 3.22 MB/sec
Average (W): 1.98 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on drive S: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 3.21 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 3.22 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 3.15 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 3.19 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 3.20 MB/sec
Average ®: 3.19 MB/sec

Anyone got a clue?
Don't see any resolution, so I'm hoping someone figure something out as I have the same issue ~ results below-
Thecus is getting a dismal 1.7MB/sec. I have a 1U/4drive FreeNAS that runs at 100MB/s with the same drives.
I've also verified that the 802.3ad is software based and not a true 802.3ad, as when I enable LACP on the switch, connection is lost.

In the GUI, I've switched off MTU, port aggregation, and even tried swapping the cables. Interface shows 1000mbps in the web GUI. No difference.
running 5.02.02 FW on N4100Pro
NAS performance tester 1.4 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.808.dk/?nastester">http://www.808.dk/?nastester</a><!-- m -->
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on drive S: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 1.71 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.75 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 1.31 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 1.94 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 3.22 MB/sec
Average (W): 1.98 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on drive S: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 3.21 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 3.22 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 3.15 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 3.19 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 3.20 MB/sec
Average ®: 3.19 MB/sec

Anyone got a clue?
Only way to improve speed transfer is adding memory module ( to get more memory ) or you have a Snail Nas on 4100pro , so yes... this is the worst NAS i ever brought and i doubt this kind of NAS can be used for Professionnal purpose.
Only way to improve speed transfer is adding memory module ( to get more memory ) or you have a Snail Nas on 4100pro , so yes... this is the worst NAS i ever brought and i doubt this kind of NAS can be used for Professionnal purpose.
Added a NBM 1G|CORSAIR 200P D400 VS1GSDS400 $65.99 works fine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to activated link aggregation to boost speed transfer lifeform 18 9,501 06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Last Post: leejen666