Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrible Transfer Speed
Here's some update.

I am now at 5.02.00.2 on my N4100pro.
EXT4 with 64kb stripe size.

Other than than on different firmware and file system, rest of the configuration are the same. (3x2TB WD EARS raid 5, gigabite LAN, same clients etc)
Write speed is still <18mb/s

Very disappointed results.
Anyone knows whether this is related to EARS drives problem or the NAS issue (poor CPU and low RAM)?
When you installed the drives did you add any jumpers to the jumper block on the back ? Should have nothing installed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1679#jumper">http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... 679#jumper</a><!-- m -->

Odd though, since I run those drives in my N4200pro, is the 4200 that much faster than a 4100 ?

If you can sacrafice what is on the disks you could try destroying all RAID partition information on them and then starting from fresh, might even pay to go into the box via SSH (if you've installed the module) and check the disks manually to be sure there are no partitions on any of the drives even after you destroy the RAID .. you never know they might not be aligned correctly to the 4K blocks which would give sucky performance.

Mark
N4200Pro with 4 * 2TB WD20EARS drives, upgraded to 4GB RAM.
When you installed the drives did you add any jumpers to the jumper block on the back ? Should have nothing installed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1679#jumper">http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... 679#jumper</a><!-- m -->

Odd though, since I run those drives in my N4200pro, is the 4200 that much faster than a 4100 ?

If you can sacrafice what is on the disks you could try destroying all RAID partition information on them and then starting from fresh, might even pay to go into the box via SSH (if you've installed the module) and check the disks manually to be sure there are no partitions on any of the drives even after you destroy the RAID .. you never know they might not be aligned correctly to the 4K blocks which would give sucky performance.

Mark
N4200Pro with 4 * 2TB WD20EARS drives, upgraded to 4GB RAM.
none Wrote:NAS issue (poor CPU and low RAM)?

low ram is indeed an issue, you can upgrade it yourself to 1GB or 512MB if you want, I upgraded with an old 512MB I had laying around and noticed an increase.

More info on upgrading your RAM <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=869">http://forum.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=869</a><!-- m -->

Gr,
Johan
none Wrote:NAS issue (poor CPU and low RAM)?

low ram is indeed an issue, you can upgrade it yourself to 1GB or 512MB if you want, I upgraded with an old 512MB I had laying around and noticed an increase.

More info on upgrading your RAM <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=869">http://forum.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?t=869</a><!-- m -->

Gr,
Johan
Ok so right now I am transfering 22Gig from my computer to my 4100pro. it is going through the network to my 2wire router and into the NAS. I have 4 ST32000542AS, which are on the compatibility list. At the moment I am getting a blazing 4.68 Mb/s. I just updated to V5. I still had this shitty write speed before the update so that isn't the problem. I just ordered a 1gig ram upgrade but heard that won't help much. Anything would be muchly appreciated. Don't mean to hijack just didn't think I should start another thread.
If I was you I would check your netwerkequipment, because your speeds are really low. Check cables, networkcard, router, switch. Something is not right. I have upgraded my ram to 512MB and my speeds are way better then yours, but even with the original 256MB I got better speeds.

Gr,
Johan
ya I have tried multiple computers, one is across the house connected through much more cables, and the other is connected directly to the router that the NAS is hooked up to. And both are horrible. What confuses me though is if I am transferring files within the NAS, from one folder to another, I get even worse transfer speeds. Shouldn't it be better than going through the network? just did a test with "NAS performance tester" and I got an average for 4.11Mb/s
nitroke Wrote:If I was you I would check your netwerkequipment, because your speeds are really low. Check cables, networkcard, router, switch. Something is not right. I have upgraded my ram to 512MB and my speeds are way better then yours, but even with the original 256MB I got better speeds.

Gr,
Johan

When you say 'speeds are way better' could you actually state the transfer speeds you are getting? I am thinking about upgrading the RAM but I want to know how much of a boost I should expect.
Richie086 Wrote:When you say 'speeds are way better' could you actually state the transfer speeds you are getting? I am thinking about upgrading the RAM but I want to know how much of a boost I should expect.

I have a 4100PRO with the 3.04.03 firmware. I have upgraded the memory to 1GB and have also enabled Jumbo Frames on my gigabit network using a packet size of 9000 bytes. I am running RAID 5 using 4x2TB Seagate ST32000542AS using EXT3 for the format and a stripe size of 1024. The machine I am testing from is very, very fast and uses an SSD for local storage.

This is (as far as I know) about the best configuration you could have for RAID 5, at least for the 3 series firmware. I do not believe that any significant performance could be squeezed out of this setup by using faster drives or link aggregation, as the bottleneck for the N4100PRO is primarily CPU speed since it is essentially software raid. The only thing you could do to speed it up any more would be to switch to a different RAID level - my numbers are only relevant for RAID 5 (RAID 0, 1, or 10 would of course perform writes much, much faster since there is no need to compute parity data). I would consider my performance numbers to be about as good as they can get (within a few percentage points anyway)

Tested using NAS Performance Tester 1.2, average of 5 runs:

1MB File:

Write Speed: 28.48 MB/sec
Read Speed: 50.62 MB/sec

10MB File:

Write Speed: 46.52 MB/sec
Read Speed: 103.97 MB/sec

100MB File:

Write Speed: 44.79 MB/sec
Read Speed: 116.36 MB/sec

400MB File:

Write Speed: 25.31 MB/sec
Read Speed: 105.48 MB/sec

However, this is a benchmark and it does not reflect realworld perfomance very well... Real world performance on large files as measured by the average windows reports during file copies is pretty consistent. Depending on file size (smaller files are of course much faster due to caching and whatnot) I get read speeds starting at around 90 MB/sec and generally leveling off to about 50 MB/sec. Writes are much, much slower - they start off the same (around 90 MB/sec) but quickly drop to around 18 MB/sec on average. Those drop offs are very consistent - I almost never see slower than 50 Mb/sec reads and 18 MB/sec writes unless there is other stuff going on on the array.

Note: Quite a bit of the performance on large file transfers comes from the use of jumbo frames... I don't remember exactly how much my throughput increase when I switched to using them, but it was significant. I think I was getting more like 14 MB/sec on writes - I don't remember what reads were but it was writes I was concerned about.

Anyway, you wanted best case numbers with the memory upgrade... I would say 50 MB/sec for reads and 18 MB/sec for writes using 4 drives in RAID 5 is probably about best case. The 4200PRO is significantly faster than this - it can easily hit 80+ MB/sec for reads and writes in RAID 5. That said, I am quite happy with the performance of my 4100PRO, considering the vast difference in price.
Here are the speeds I am getting with my N4100PRO.

NAS performance tester 1.2 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.808.dk/?nastester">http://www.808.dk/?nastester</a><!-- m -->
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on drive W: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 22.38 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 24.95 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 22.61 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 25.46 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 22.52 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 23.58 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on drive W: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 39.08 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 44.44 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 50.35 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 51.54 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 54.17 MB/sec
Average ®: 47.92 MB/sec

My N4100PRO is still stock standard from the box and is running v3.04.03 firmware and the standard 256MB memory that originally came with it.

My network consists of a TP-Link TD-W8960N Wireless 300N Modem Router which is connected to a TP-Link TL-SG1008D eight port gigabit switch and all computers including my N4100PRO are connected via CAT 5e cables and Jumbo Frames is not enabled.

I have four 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5 using EXT3 with a stripe size of 64.
Thecus N4100PRO FW: V3.04.03
4 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5
Here are the speeds I am getting with my N4100PRO.

NAS performance tester 1.2 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.808.dk/?nastester">http://www.808.dk/?nastester</a><!-- m -->
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on drive W: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 22.38 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 24.95 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 22.61 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 25.46 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 22.52 MB/sec
Average (W): 23.58 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on drive W: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 39.08 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 44.44 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 50.35 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 51.54 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 54.17 MB/sec
Average ®: 47.92 MB/sec

My N4100PRO is still stock standard from the box and is running v3.04.03 firmware and the standard 256MB memory that originally came with it.

My network consists of a TP-Link TD-W8960N Wireless 300N Modem Router which is connected to a TP-Link TL-SG1008D eight port gigabit switch and all computers including my N4100PRO are connected via CAT 5e cables and Jumbo Frames is not enabled.

I have four 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5 using EXT3 with a stripe size of 64.
Thecus N4100PRO FW: V3.04.03
4 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI drives in RAID 5
It has nothing to do with your disks. It's the slow CPU and software RAID that is making the unit slow. To give you a example I am using 4x 2TB WD Green EARS and on a GigE connection I get this:

Average ®: 20.62 MB/sec

Switching to 4x 120GB Corsair Force SSD to remove any disk bottlenecks I get this:

Average ®: 31.14 MB/sec

This is all RAID 5 and connected directly to my computer.

On my FreeNAS box using 4x 2TB WD Green EARS with a real hardware RAID card and dual core AMD Neo CPU@ 1.33Ghz I am getting these speeds:

Average ®: 98.76 MB/sec

I plan on migrating to the N4200 as it's worlds better than the N4100Pro in terms of network speeds. Again disks do not matter.
It has nothing to do with your disks. It's the slow CPU and software RAID that is making the unit slow. To give you a example I am using 4x 2TB WD Green EARS and on a GigE connection I get this:

Average ®: 20.62 MB/sec

Switching to 4x 120GB Corsair Force SSD to remove any disk bottlenecks I get this:

Average ®: 31.14 MB/sec

This is all RAID 5 and connected directly to my computer.

On my FreeNAS box using 4x 2TB WD Green EARS with a real hardware RAID card and dual core AMD Neo CPU@ 1.33Ghz I am getting these speeds:

Average ®: 98.76 MB/sec

I plan on migrating to the N4200 as it's worlds better than the N4100Pro in terms of network speeds. Again disks do not matter.
I am sad to admit that I have verified that I have the worst performing NAS in the forum. I've had my N4100Pro for about a month now, and while I was convinced that something was wrong, I had to wait until I found the links to the NAS Performance Tester 1.2 to actually test my throughput. I felt that my performance was miserable, but to eliminate the memory as an issue I upgraded to 1GB as many others have suggested. My own unscientific tests indicated I had 800 to 900 kbps with the stock 256MB memory. After upgrading, I improved to just over 1Mbps.

Here is the test for a 200 MB test size....larger files took so long to complete one pass that I canceled them:

Running warmup...
Running a 200MB file write on drive N: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 1.19 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 1.11 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 1.02 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 1.11 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 0.99 MB/sec
Average (W): 1.08 MB/sec
That's pretty miserable, isn't it?? I have 4 2TB WD20 drives, 2 EADS, and 2 EARS. They are formatted to Raid 10, and despite the ridiculously slow throughput, I can at least load files, and while waiting forever, retrieve them from the NAS. My SONY web connected Blu Ray player can retrieve MP3s and photos from the drive, but it won't stream any videos, whether from the NAS directly, or from the Twonky Server. Yet I can stream the exact same file from Twonky Server loaded on my Acer laptop.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. My greatest fear is that something went wrong while patching the V3 firmware to V5. As I stated in another thread, the V3 to V5 patch never did complete, so I just went ahead with the V5.01.04 firmware....which installed without issue. I've subsequently installed V5.01.05, but there was no discernible difference in operation or performance.

Thanks,
Mark

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to activated link aggregation to boost speed transfer lifeform 18 9,217 06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Last Post: leejen666