Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrible Transfer Speed
Hi,

I've just purchased a N4100Pro and am experiencing TERRIBLE transfer speeds with it. My setup is as follows:

Hard Drives: 4 x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARS
Raid: Raid 5 across the 4 disks
File System: XFS

I have tried connecting to the NAS via my home ADSL modem/router as well as a direct crossover Ethernet cable with similar results. Both connections report a connection of 1GBit

I am connecting to the NAS with a Windows machine running XP Pro.

I am averaging the following for read and write:

Write: 11 MB/s
Read: 8 MB/s

Connecting to other machines on my network from my Windows machine consistently get well over 60 MB/s read and write.

Are there some settings I'm missing or anything I should look at tweaking to get the speed up? I have a huge collection of files I want to transfer to the NAS and at this rate its going to take weeks just to transfer it.

PS using the USB copy module on the NAS doesn't seem to be any faster, in fact it seems to be slower.
Hi,

I've just purchased a N4100Pro and am experiencing TERRIBLE transfer speeds with it. My setup is as follows:

Hard Drives: 4 x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARS
Raid: Raid 5 across the 4 disks
File System: XFS

I have tried connecting to the NAS via my home ADSL modem/router as well as a direct crossover Ethernet cable with similar results. Both connections report a connection of 1GBit

I am connecting to the NAS with a Windows machine running XP Pro.

I am averaging the following for read and write:

Write: 11 MB/s
Read: 8 MB/s

Connecting to other machines on my network from my Windows machine consistently get well over 60 MB/s read and write.

Are there some settings I'm missing or anything I should look at tweaking to get the speed up? I have a huge collection of files I want to transfer to the NAS and at this rate its going to take weeks just to transfer it.

PS using the USB copy module on the NAS doesn't seem to be any faster, in fact it seems to be slower.
This is the roughly the same speed I am getting from my 3x2TB WD EARS Raid 5 4100 Pro setup
The best I can get is 18mb/s.

I have live with it for almost a year now, tech support says it's the issue with incompatiable drives and there is no firmware update for the new 4k drives yet.
This is the roughly the same speed I am getting from my 3x2TB WD EARS Raid 5 4100 Pro setup
The best I can get is 18mb/s.

I have live with it for almost a year now, tech support says it's the issue with incompatiable drives and there is no firmware update for the new 4k drives yet.
I am using the following drives:

4 x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARS

They appear on the Hard Drive Compatibility list for the N4100PRO

From the PDF
Code:
WD Caviar Green    WD20EADS     SATA 3.0Gb/s     2000     IntelliPower™     32     OK 2009/05/13
I am using the following drives:

From the PDF
Code:
WD Caviar Green    WD20EADS     SATA 3.0Gb/s     2000     IntelliPower™     32     OK 2009/05/13
fionn_colvin Wrote:I am using the following drives:

From the PDF
Code:

It reads ..EADS in the compatibility list - that makes a big difference ;o)

/Falk
Further information und module downloads at FaJo.de

I decided to finally stop module development and maintenance. Existing modules are still available for download for now.
fionn_colvin Wrote:I am using the following drives:

From the PDF
Code:

It reads ..EADS in the compatibility list - that makes a big difference ;o)

/Falk
Further information und module downloads at FaJo.de

I decided to finally stop module development and maintenance. Existing modules are still available for download for now.
Ah CRAP! I totally missed that.

Whats the suggestion? Sell the drives and buy some new ones? They may be related to another problem I'm having.

I use XBMC on a AppleTV for media playback. Ever since playing files through it from the NAS XBMC will crash about 5 minutes into playing a file. Never had an issue previously playing files off a share from my PC. *sigh*
Ah CRAP! I totally missed that.

Whats the suggestion? Sell the drives and buy some new ones? They may be related to another problem I'm having.

I use XBMC on a AppleTV for media playback. Ever since playing files through it from the NAS XBMC will crash about 5 minutes into playing a file. Never had an issue previously playing files off a share from my PC. *sigh*
For what it is worth, I have a N4200Pro with those exact same drives and have no issues at all!

Differences being:

I have a N4200Pro
V5 firmware
EXT-4 filesystem
Apple OSX as the client

From my Mac Mini dragging and dropping files onto the Thecus AFP share I get 62Mb/s write ... not to shabby.

Maybe give the V5 beta firmware a go on your N4100 ?
N4200Pro with 4 * 2TB WD20EARS drives, upgraded to 4GB RAM.
For what it is worth, I have a N4200Pro with those exact same drives and have no issues at all!

Differences being:

I have a N4200Pro
V5 firmware
EXT-4 filesystem
Apple OSX as the client

From my Mac Mini dragging and dropping files onto the Thecus AFP share I get 62Mb/s write ... not to shabby.

Maybe give the V5 beta firmware a go on your N4100 ?
N4200Pro with 4 * 2TB WD20EARS drives, upgraded to 4GB RAM.
Thanks for the response. I've actually just sold the drives on ebay, lost $15 per unit on the transaction, *sigh*, and purchased some new Seagate ones: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003

Here's hoping these perform better.
Thanks for the response. I've actually just sold the drives on ebay, lost $15 per unit on the transaction, *sigh*, and purchased some new Seagate ones: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003

Here's hoping these perform better.
Here's some update.

I am now at 5.02.00.2 on my N4100pro.
EXT4 with 64kb stripe size.

Other than than on different firmware and file system, rest of the configuration are the same. (3x2TB WD EARS raid 5, gigabite LAN, same clients etc)
Write speed is still <18mb/s

Very disappointed results.
Anyone knows whether this is related to EARS drives problem or the NAS issue (poor CPU and low RAM)?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to activated link aggregation to boost speed transfer lifeform 18 9,241 06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Last Post: leejen666