Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishlist
I would like to see NTFS-3G replaced with the commercial version called Tuxera NTFS.
There are some large performance improvements to be had http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-nt...rformance/
It's an upgrade option I would be willing to pay for.

I emailed Tuxera and this was their response:
"Commercial version called Tuxera NTFS would of course work on Thecus NAS devices and give them much better performance. To get to that point, however, we need to integrate and deliver the software for Thecus. If you want to help us, please give feedback to Thecus customer support and maybe they can provide you (and all the other users) one day a firmware update with Tuxera NTFS included."

Would be great if you could hook in with these guys Thecus. I've been enjoying my N2200, very reliable. Would be nice to see extra speed.
Would be a nice surprise to see it in the next firmware update.

N2200 When copying to external NTFS usb drive.
%MEM: 3%
%CPU: 81%
COMMAND: /opt/bin/ntfs-3g /dev/sdh1 /raid0/data/USBHDD/usb3/1 -o umask=0,fmask=001,uid=99,gid=99
Above info is from top.

======
Proud owner of a Thecus N2200 Smile
How about a FW upgrade with Native ZFS support...

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Quote:Native ZFS for Linux! ZFS is an advanced file system and volume manager which was originally developed for Solaris. It has been successfully ported to multiple platforms and now there is a a functional Linux ZFS kernel port. The port includes a functional and stable SPA, DMU, ZVOL, and Posix Layer (ZPL). Please see our FAQ and example pages for details.

To get started with ZFS on Linux simply download the latest release, then follow either the rpm or deb package instructions to build and install packages for your system. If your not already familiar with ZFS you may want to check out the examples below. Please keep in mind the current 0.5.2 stable release does not yet support a mountable filesystem. This functionality is currently available only in the 0.6.0-rc6 release candidate.

If you are a developer or bleeding edge user please try the latest release candidate. New features will be integrated here before a new official stable release is tagged. The release candidates always need more testing so please report any issues you encounter. If you would like to contribute to the development there is a list of pending development items, or if you have a different idea feel free to start a discussion on the zfs-devel mailing list.
How about a FW upgrade with Native ZFS support...

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Quote:Native ZFS for Linux! ZFS is an advanced file system and volume manager which was originally developed for Solaris. It has been successfully ported to multiple platforms and now there is a a functional Linux ZFS kernel port. The port includes a functional and stable SPA, DMU, ZVOL, and Posix Layer (ZPL). Please see our FAQ and example pages for details.

To get started with ZFS on Linux simply download the latest release, then follow either the rpm or deb package instructions to build and install packages for your system. If your not already familiar with ZFS you may want to check out the examples below. Please keep in mind the current 0.5.2 stable release does not yet support a mountable filesystem. This functionality is currently available only in the 0.6.0-rc6 release candidate.

If you are a developer or bleeding edge user please try the latest release candidate. New features will be integrated here before a new official stable release is tagged. The release candidates always need more testing so please report any issues you encounter. If you would like to contribute to the development there is a list of pending development items, or if you have a different idea feel free to start a discussion on the zfs-devel mailing list.
I would add WebDav to this wishlist.

And also another functionality - creation of SMB mount points from existing folders, with own ACLs
Let me state a usecase for this:
- we have Twonky installed. The upload share is _NAS_twonky_upload_ (customized ACLs, writable for some, no user access)
- inside that share i have the folders music, pictures and videos (and these will be shared using UPNP/DLNA)
- i would like to be able to create the shares "Music", "Pictures" and "Videos" (user defined names) which share the content of that folders in the twonky share with other ACLs, e.g. users->read, so that users can access media content by category via CIFS, and these shares should appear as individual shares in the devices root.
Code:
N4100PRO
  +nsync
  +usbhdd
  +_NAS_twonky_upoad_     <-- no user access
         +music
         +pictures
         +videos
  +Music                  <-- user access
  +Pictures               <-- user access
  +Videos                 <-- user access
I would see this as a new menu entry in the Storage menu (e.g. folder mount, similar to iso mount), or as a different "Add" option in the Share Folders.
For Samba, this behavior is perfectly correct and legitimate. I have not played around with many NAS, but on those i did, i have NOT seen this in any of them.
N4100PRO
I would add WebDav to this wishlist.

And also another functionality - creation of SMB mount points from existing folders, with own ACLs
- we have Twonky installed. The upload share is _NAS_twonky_upload_ (customized ACLs, writable for some, no user access)
- inside that share i have the folders music, pictures and videos (and these will be shared using UPNP/DLNA)
- i would like to be able to create the shares "Music", "Pictures" and "Videos" (user defined names) which share the content of that folders in the twonky share with other ACLs, e.g. users->read, so that users can access media content by category via CIFS, and these shares should appear as individual shares in the devices root.
Code:
N4100PRO
  +nsync
  +usbhdd
         +music
         +pictures
         +videos
I would see this as a new menu entry in the Storage menu (e.g. folder mount, similar to iso mount), or as a different "Add" option in the Share Folders.
For Samba, this behavior is perfectly correct and legitimate. I have not played around with many NAS, but on those i did, i have NOT seen this in any of them.
N4100PRO
I back the proposition of being able to mount SMB shares a 100%. Actually, I would say it's indispensable!!!
docmarius Wrote:I would add WebDav to this wishlist.

Code:
N4100PRO
  +nsync
  +usbhdd
         +music
         +pictures
         +videos
I back the proposition of being able to mount SMB shares a 100%. Actually, I would say it's indispensable!!!
docmarius Wrote:I would add WebDav to this wishlist.

Code:
N4100PRO
  +nsync
  +usbhdd
         +music
         +pictures
         +videos
Hi,

We'll be nice to have the possibility to start n4200 series remotly.lan/wan.
Can be this implemented?
Thecus N4200Eco + 4gb DDR3 + 2x4 TB raid 5 + Noctua NF-B9 Sys FAN
VAAI support would be nice :-)

I kow it's not going to happen as Thecus use the Linux iSCSI target but if they want to get with the times and develop their own ... ;-)
N4200Pro with 4 * 2TB WD20EARS drives, upgraded to 4GB RAM.
Please add IP sharing on N2200Plus on the wishlist. This feature is removed since V2 Firmware.
Apple changed the sort-order of photos on iOS from the exif-Infomation to the directory order of the synced-directories. Unfortunatedly the sortorder of the SMB-Directories can't be modified. As a result are die Photos from SMB-Shares on IOS-Devices disordered. As Apple seems not to solve this issue. The NAS-SMB-Directory should be enabled to sort the files alphabetically. The vfs-module should to the trick, but it seems not to be included into the build.

There should be a possibility to use and activate the vfs-module dirsort, which would provide a work-around for the stated problem.
ahouston Wrote:3. I would like modules for DNS Server and LDAP server, preferably with the ability to read an Active Directory and populate the LDAP service (so the Thecus NAS can replace a Microsoft server).

Like I stated in another post - LDAP Authentication / LDAP Server functionality is almost a showstopper for me - I love the Thecus NAS, but the fact that they only support ADS authentication is weird...

I know there are third party modules out there that can be used to get LDAP functionality, but compared to how some other NAS vendors have implemented LDAP Server/Authentication into their Firmware the Thecus solution is really really bad (sorry to say)
pugtheblack Wrote:Like I stated in another post - LDAP Authentication / LDAP Server functionality is almost a showstopper for me - I love the Thecus NAS, but the fact that they only support ADS authentication is weird...

Since v2.02.02 of the 64bit firmware the NAS can be configured to authenticate against a LDAP server - there a a few limitations (taken from the LDAP config page on the NAS):
  • The LDAP server must have both Samba sam and POSIX ObjectClass account.
  • The UID and GID account must be above 20,000 of LDAP server.
  • LDAP service must be enabled before ObjectClass button can operate.
  • If LDAP server has UID or GID less than 20,000 and duplicate with existed local user. Then the associated UID or GID belong to local user.
  • If chooses the ldap security TLS or SSL transmission encryption way, determined whether ldap server does have the support.

pugtheblack Wrote:I know there are third party modules out there that can be used to get LDAP functionality, but compared to how some other NAS vendors have implemented LDAP Server/Authentication into their Firmware the Thecus solution is really really bad (sorry to say)

I guess you are referring to the OpenLDAP module - this module does not provide LDAP authentication for the NAS. It provides a LDAP server.

/Falk
Further information und module downloads at FaJo.de

I decided to finally stop module development and maintenance. Existing modules are still available for download for now.
Hi folks,

I see that many of you guys are looking for a solution to backup data into the cloud and/or sync it across multiple devices. Thecus has integrated a solution you may find very useful - ElephantDrive http://home.elephantdrive.com/network-storage-partners/.

ElephantDrive is an online backup solution that is already integrated into Thecus NAS. After enabling the module on your Thecus NAS and creating an account, you can set up your important files/folders to be backed up to the ElephantDrive cloud. ElephantDrive also offers a desktop clients for PC, MAC, and any Java capable servers. You can manage your Thecus NAS backups and other multiple devices under just one account. You can find the full manual to start here: http://www.thecus.com/download/module/64...Module.pdf

If you have any questions or need any assistance getting started, don't hesitate to post here or reach me at joti@elephantdrive.com

Look forward to hearing from you!
Hi folks,

I see that many of you guys are looking for a solution to backup data into the cloud and/or sync it across multiple devices. Thecus has integrated a solution you may find very useful - ElephantDrive http://home.elephantdrive.com/network-storage-partners/.

ElephantDrive is an online backup solution that is already integrated into Thecus NAS. After enabling the module on your Thecus NAS and creating an account, you can set up your important files/folders to be backed up to the ElephantDrive cloud. ElephantDrive also offers a desktop clients for PC, MAC, and any Java capable servers. You can manage your Thecus NAS backups and other multiple devices under just one account. You can find the full manual to start here: http://www.thecus.com/download/module/64...Module.pdf

If you have any questions or need any assistance getting started, don't hesitate to post here or reach me at joti@elephantdrive.com

Look forward to hearing from you!