Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N7700Pro Stuck in Self Test - change drives to new chassis?
Hi,

We had one of our older Thecus servers start dropping off line, did a firmware update (with hindsight that was silly), anyway now we're stuck in the dreaded self testing mode. My question is - we have an identical spare server machine which is still working fine (although on the original firmware) - can we just swap all 7 drives from the 'self testing' server to the other spare server?

Is all the RAID information/firmware kept on the drives themselves? ie will it matter if the 'self testing' machine drives are RAID 6 and the spare machine is currently configured as RAID 5? Will the different firmwares make a problem?

Will doing this either screw up the 7 drives from the 'self testing' machine (drives are definitely fine, it's not a problem with them), or screw up the 7 drives from the spare machine when we put them back in?

Essentially I don't mind losing the data from the spare server, but I do need to recover the data from the 'self testing' server, so if it is as easy as putting the drives in a different chassis then happy days - unless it is likely to screw the important drives up and make then un-recoverable by another process (such as UFS explorer)

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Joe
Dear Sir,

Following FAQ for your reference:

Thecus RAID roaming table
https://thecus.kayako.com/default_import...ming-table

How to access data if NAS out of order or end of life?
https://thecus.kayako.com/default_import...ife-eoleng
Yvon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N7700PRO 4gb drives streme 5 1,997 10-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Last Post: GE-BD
  N7700Pro V5.00.00.XX Adds 4K Support WD "EARS" Drives jtg 13 6,468 12-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Last Post: thegadget
  N7700Pro V5.00.00.XX Adds 4K Support WD "EARS" Drives 0 4,284 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  N7700PRO 4gb drives 0 1,276 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: