Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N2810 and a couple of noobie questions
Tongue 
Hello guys,
proud owner of an N2810 here  Wink
I'm quite new to the world of NAS, so I'd like to ask few questions that probably might appear to you as "basis" knowledge, if anyone could help me eventually redirecting on the right resource on the  web... that would be awesome.

Let's start  Cool

1 - How can I manage a complete backup of my home pc on the NAS? I used to perform backups by means of Clonezilla on external USB drives (sooooo slow), I'm wondering if a specific solution exist for the NAS. I'm interested more in complete backups (ISOs of my current configuration) to be triggered manually (e.g., once every couple of weeks) rather than delta backups. Could you suggest me some of the best practices on the argument?
2 - I'm quite "scared" to the idea of having my thecus NAS online on the internet 24/7... and since there's no need to keep it up by now, I usually turn off the NAS when I don't need it.
I'd like to receive some hints in order to secure my personal data on the NAS while having it on the internet. I tried to configure Access Guard in order to limit the access to the NAS only from a specific MAC address (e.g. the home desktop), but there's something that is not working properly as I can "reach" the NAS even from my mobile phone... Sad
My initial thought is to configure a VPN server on my desktop, in order to access to my house LAN remotely, and once entered, reach the NAS. Might this be a good/feasible solution?
Apart from documents and contents, I'd like to plug in also some internal ip cameras to monitor remotely my house... So I have to be absolutely sure that my Thecus NAS is well protected by brute attacks and vulnerabilities.

That's all (and maybe too much Tongue) by now, thanks anyone!
I'm a newbie as well, but I have some ideas:
1 - There are different backup-solutions which you could use, downloadable and installable in the "Application Server" section. One is certainly right for your purposes.
2 - I would say that in the "Network Services" section, you just disable everything that is in there. Then your NAS should not be accessible from the Internet.
(05-16-2017, 02:14 PM)DrMartinus Wrote: 1 - There are different backup-solutions which you could use, downloadable and installable in the "Application Server" section. One is certainly right for your purposes.
2 - I would say that in the "Network Services" section, you just disable everything that is in there. Then your NAS should not be accessible from the Internet.

Hi DrMartinus, and Thanks for your answer:
1- can you suggest a backup Solution in particular, under the AS section? Somethin similar to clonezilla, in order to backup the entire desktop disk
2 - ahem... What's the use of a NAS if I disable every network service? I don't get the point here...
1. No, not really, as I haven't used any. I'm still in the beginning state. You can read about the backup apps how they work. Probably 3rd party programs are more suitable, but I don't know.
2. Well, there are network services that make the NAS accessible to the Internet. If you want to use the internet, make sure you use encryption. If you just need the NAS within your network, enable those services that provide the needed access (Samba or nfs). Your concern was security, so encryption is the only way if you need the access via Internet.
Dear All,

Generally we would map network driver from PC to NAS, and able via any backup utility auto or schedule copy data from PC to NAS.
AS like following "OS6" (same conpect) FAQ page 12~16 about map network driver for your reference:
http://www.thecus.com/download/howtoguid...o_V1.1.pdf
http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/...k-password
http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/...ty-anymore
Yvon.
(05-16-2017, 05:48 AM)k4yl0rd Wrote:  
1 - How can I manage a complete backup of my home pc on the NAS?

2 - I'm quite "scared" to the idea of having my thecus NAS online on the internet 24/7... and since there's no need to keep it up by now, I usually turn off the NAS when I don't need it.

1) The backup software wouldn't be something you run on the NAS, it's something you would run on your PC, with the backup file being written to the NAS. 
Firstly: You are running Windows, no?   For simple backups, you can run Windows's Backup software, and point the storage to your NAS - more to the point, to a specific folder (that you create) on your NAS.

Secondly, I see you want back up your entire PC/disk (for disaster recovery, I guess). 
I've had good results from using 'Image for Windows' (IFW) by Terrabyte Unlimited.  It's not freeware. 
In my case, once a week, a batch file on my PC, i) deletes the oldest of three previously-stored images on a folder dedicated to my images, on my NAS, ii) renames the other two images (to indicate aging), iii) invokes IFW to make an image of my C: drive and stores it on the NAS.

2) Your NAS isn't 'on the Internet' unless you specifically open ports on your Internet-facing NAT router, directing traffic you didn't initiate (say, from your browser) to your NAS.  You DID turn off ALL plug-and-play features on the NAS, no?
Thecus N5550 (CPU: D2550 @ 1.86GHz, BIOS: 2.05.14.5.cdv X64)
Disks: 5 x 3TB Seagate NAS-class; 2 x 3TB-RAID1 plus Hot Spare
Memory: 8125 MB (2 x 4 GB Corsair 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333)
Apps: Too many to count....