Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your raid go offline or keep rebuilding?
I have seen a lot of posts here with this problem...  Though a lot of people want to blame it on the NAS device, it more than likely is due to your hard drives in your NAS.  Due to the way RAID works it checks it self...  In doing that the cheaper drives that don't have error correction/error recovery built into the drive itself it basically tells the NAS that the drive is bad and can bring your RAID down.  I have seen this a zillion times with customers who have desktop PC's and use the on board RAID option that their motherboard provides.  This is a very simplified explanation of why your RAID keeps going down, but hopefully helps others here.

Can it work with cheaper drives, sure.  Are you going to have problems more often, YES.

If you are tired of rebuilding your arrays all the time look into the following drives below.

Western Digital Red Drives
Seagate IronWolf Drives
Seagate NAS Drives

Take care.
(12-15-2016, 03:07 AM)Ak_Nasguy Wrote: I have seen a lot of posts here with this problem...  Though a lot of people want to blame it on the NAS device, it more than likely is due to your hard drives in your NAS.  Due to the way RAID works it checks it self...  In doing that the cheaper drives that don't have error correction/error recovery built into the drive itself it basically tells the NAS that the drive is bad and can bring your RAID down.  I have seen this a zillion times with customers who have desktop PC's and use the on board RAID option that their motherboard provides.  This is a very simplified explanation of why your RAID keeps going down, but hopefully helps others here.

Can it work with cheaper drives, sure.  Are you going to have problems more often, YES.

If you are tired of rebuilding your arrays all the time look into the following drives below.

Western Digital Red Drives
Seagate IronWolf Drives
Seagate NAS Drives

Take care.

I don't agree. I have 2 Seagate IronWolfs and a WD Red drive in my N4310 and it just randomly went into recovery today. After a few hours into recovery, the recovery restarted and is still going.
Dear Sir,

Would you please provide CONF.BIN for http://esupport.thecus.com let we check for you?
The N2310/N4310/N2520/N2560/N4520/N4560 can be download from NAS ADMIN WEBUI->left upper corner have a GEAR icon->SYSTEM MANAGEMENT->CONFIG MGMT->Choose TODAY and DOWNLOAD current CONF.BIN.
Yvon.
See file

Attached Files
.txt   NAS HDDs.txt (Size: 1.17 KB / Downloads: 74)
Thecus N5550 (CPU: D2550 @ 1.86GHz, BIOS: 2.05.14.5.cdv X64)
Disks: 5 x 3TB Seagate NAS-class; 2 x 3TB-RAID1 plus Hot Spare
Memory: 8125 MB (2 x 4 GB Corsair 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333)
Apps: Too many to count....
(12-31-2016, 09:09 AM)ThaumaTechnician Wrote: See file

Read your text file, thanks for the helpful information. All my drives are NAS drives and they keep on rebuilding. All of my drives are healthy. I don’t understand why this is happening. I have logged a support request and am waiting for a response.