Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 5810pro: OS7 / OS5 tradeoffs?
I've got a nice old N7700 that's been running for years (and frankly ignored :Smile . Now for home I have a new 5810pro.

I'm reading up on OS5 and OS7. Sadly, I can't find anything that clearly describes the differences, advantages, disadvantages of the two choices... yet it seems a very significant choice to make up front. "OS5 X64 system have different file structure, ACL and others, if went to migrate to OS7, it is strong recommend backup current data first, then create new RAID volume from OS7."

Is there a document somewhere, or links, or perhaps a brief list, of the significant differences... and perhaps what is LOST if I switch to OS7?

Our usage is mostly about files...

- Samba server on mixed Win10 / Win7 network using workgroup and userid-based shares
- I definitely will want to customize Samba settings; have done that before (perhaps easier by now? ;Wink
- Connected via VPN to office (I may set up OpenVPN on the Thecus.)
- Hope to do backup-to-cloud ie to Amazon Prime Cloud... for now continue using Crashplan across internet to office
- Need bare-metal restorable backup; hoping to use Acronis for that...
Dear Sir,

Current OS5 X64 & OS7 about 95~99% function will be same, if HDD & RAID is new or empty you could choose OS7.
But if your N7700 is V1, this should OS5 X32, it is far difference from OS5 X64 & OS7 and recommend for a brand new start
http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/...ming-table
Yvon.
(12-07-2016, 06:10 PM)Thecus - Yvon Wrote: Dear Sir,

Current OS5 X64 & OS7 about 95~99% function will be same, if HDD & RAID is new or empty you could choose OS7.
But if your N7700 is V1, this should OS5 X32, it is far difference from OS5 X64 & OS7 and recommend for a brand new start
http://thecus.kayako.com/default_import/...ming-table

Thanks, Yvon!

In my case the two NAS are completely separate (work vs home)... I do plan to update the work one eventually. I think it is running very old OS3 or something Wink

I'm going to set this new one up on OS7... looks like several advantages.
(12-07-2016, 06:10 PM)Thecus - Yvon Wrote: Dear Sir,

Current OS5 X64 & OS7 about 95~99% function will be same, if HDD & RAID is new or empty you could choose OS7...

Report after trying OS7: [edit: found more modules!!!]
- OLD third party modules will not install. However, user outkastm is doing a great job not only of bringing in old modules, but creating and maintaining new ones!
- Not nearly enough configurability for Samba. I've not yet solved this one.

Currently on OS7 but ran into a huge problem: migrating from 4 disk RAID5 to 5 disk RAID6 hung the box AND killed the existing RAID. Still working on that one...