Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating to latest/beta firmware question...
Question 
Hello,

Does everyone backup their entire data before doing a firmware upgrade to any version?

I only ask this because I recently have everything setup as I like (all 14TB of it) but they do say 'back up date before firmware upgrade' and at this moment in time I do not have 14TB spare to back it all up on.  (i am in the progress of getting this arranged)  But until then is it safe just to stay on the current firmware?

Is the upgrade process so intrusive that you could/would actually loose all your data?

Thanks in advance!
I guess you could remove your storage space drives (make a note of the order) and then put them back in once you are happy with the upgrade. Windows is clever enough to recognise that the drive set is a storage space, so you can bring it back online. I only know this as I had to restore our NAS operating system (see last post) and the storage space appeared offline and I was able to put it online very easily in server manager.

Appreciate 14GB is a lot of data, but best practice is to have another backup of your data, just in case :-)
Big Grin 
Basically you should have "basic understanding" before updating any system especially with how machine works at BIOS state especially.

ie: updating kernel, updating firmware, etc

Below some of my own personal suggestion when im dealing manage a lots servers and storage machine for my customers.

1. Why do you need to update Firmware?

If you think your machine got problem at current activity, analyse first whats the problem before do some major change inside the system...

Take a look at latest firmware changelog did the changelog indicate to solve the problem or not, if not then its not necessary to upgrade the firmware at that time.

Consult with the vendors, they might have any other solution to solve your problem, updating firmware is the last option.

So the keypoint is you may update the machine with new firmware if you have problem or find new features on the latest firmware.

2. You can start invest new storage machine in the future as a backup machine for your current storage.

i always recommend my customers minimum two storage machine at same size (yeah i know no one will have same idea about how they manage data) it just my personal opinion  Big Grin

3. a lots of data means a lots invesment not just with the storage machine and the feature on it but you need to invest with the Hard Drive too.

When its the right time to replace the Hard Drive ? wait until the HDD happen to crash or replace the HDD before its happen.

You can read more about MTBF in HDD too just for reference.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_...n_failures

Cheers

RajaKingKong

(11-15-2016, 09:01 PM)allogic Wrote: Hello,

Does everyone backup their entire data before doing a firmware upgrade to any version?

I only ask this because I recently have everything setup as I like (all 14TB of it) but they do say 'back up date before firmware upgrade' and at this moment in time I do not have 14TB spare to back it all up on.  (i am in the progress of getting this arranged)  But until then is it safe just to stay on the current firmware?

Is the upgrade process so intrusive that you could/would actually loose all your data?

Thanks in advance!
-PHP 5.4.xxx deprecated.
-PHP 5.5.xxx & PHP 5.6.xxx current stable.
-PHP 7.0.xxx stable version with very minimum extensions support.

E: admin[at]thecus.org
IRC Network: irc.thecus.org [T.B.A]

currently this email contact above for forum and any servers issue only, for other questions please contact via @thecus.com  Big Grin