I Love Thecus

Full Version: General Reliability Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I'am thinking about buying the N10850 and equip it with 10 x 4TB harddrives.
I want to archive optimal "security" for my data and using as much as possible of the space. Quite common I think.

What is the safest mode the N10850 supports? Currently I'am running Thecus N7700PRO with 7 x 2TB in one RAID 6.
Does the N10850 support a tripple parity RAID mode? Or any mode that would allow three drives to fail without data loss and still have one hugh share?

Thanks in advance.
Hello

I'am thinking about buying the N10850 and equip it with 10 x 4TB harddrives.
I want to archive optimal "security" for my data and using as much as possible of the space. Quite common I think.

What is the safest mode the N10850 supports? Currently I'am running Thecus N7700PRO with 7 x 2TB in one RAID 6.
Does the N10850 support a tripple parity RAID mode? Or any mode that would allow three drives to fail without data loss and still have one hugh share?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

The highest RAID the N10850 can support is the RAID mode 60. On your 10 drives, a RAID 0 is created which means that your data will be spread over two strips, then each strips will have a RAID 6 built in. As RAID 6 is able to recover from two failed HDD, a RAID 60 would technically be able to recover from 4 HDD, as long as only 2 HDD per strip fails. But a RAID 60 also means that more of your space will be used for parity, and performances will be affected by this mode too.
Of course, other solutions are possible. Multiple RAID volumes is also supported, cloud backup as well.
When it comes to data security, a remote backup is the best solution.

I hope this help to answer your question.
Hi,

The highest RAID the N10850 can support is the RAID mode 60. On your 10 drives, a RAID 0 is created which means that your data will be spread over two strips, then each strips will have a RAID 6 built in. As RAID 6 is able to recover from two failed HDD, a RAID 60 would technically be able to recover from 4 HDD, as long as only 2 HDD per strip fails. But a RAID 60 also means that more of your space will be used for parity, and performances will be affected by this mode too.
Of course, other solutions are possible. Multiple RAID volumes is also supported, cloud backup as well.
When it comes to data security, a remote backup is the best solution.

I hope this help to answer your question.
Sesshoumaru,

like Jonathan said, RAID 6(0) would be highest parity Level available on the N10850.
From my perspective, RAID 60 would sacrifice too much disk space and would just be a valuable deal, if Performance is somehow relevant thru the striping of both RAID 6.
I would prefer RAID 6 + HotSpare instead, so a roughly 28TB net capacity - and maybe replicate via DataGuard/RSync to another Unit (7-Disk RAID 0 on N7510 or 8-Disk RAID 5 on N8850 if 28TB net is required).

Not sure if Thecus comes up (and Jonathan can talk about that) with HA functionality in x86 Desktop Units with Thecus OS6.0, cause this may bring up some more alternatives regarding RAID type vs. Spare vs. net capacity eg.

Christian
Sesshoumaru,

like Jonathan said, RAID 6(0) would be highest parity Level available on the N10850.
From my perspective, RAID 60 would sacrifice too much disk space and would just be a valuable deal, if Performance is somehow relevant thru the striping of both RAID 6.
I would prefer RAID 6 + HotSpare instead, so a roughly 28TB net capacity - and maybe replicate via DataGuard/RSync to another Unit (7-Disk RAID 0 on N7510 or 8-Disk RAID 5 on N8850 if 28TB net is required).

Not sure if Thecus comes up (and Jonathan can talk about that) with HA functionality in x86 Desktop Units with Thecus OS6.0, cause this may bring up some more alternatives regarding RAID type vs. Spare vs. net capacity eg.

Christian
I see. I would really value if Thecus would plan to add RAID TP (Triple Parity) to the supported RAIDs.
Its always good to have a full backup somewhere, but currently this is not possible (for good reasons) and with 10 drives I really need a solution that can take the failure of three arbitrary drives.
I see. I would really value if Thecus would plan to add RAID TP (Triple Parity) to the supported RAIDs.
Its always good to have a full backup somewhere, but currently this is not possible (for good reasons) and with 10 drives I really need a solution that can take the failure of three arbitrary drives.
RAID TP is not avaiable on Linux

mdadm command do not manage it

see this thread

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681</a><!-- l -->

to manage RAID TP on Linux you should completly write your own RAID Engine.
RAID TP is not avaiable on Linux

mdadm command do not manage it

see this thread

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681</a><!-- l -->

to manage RAID TP on Linux you should completly write your own RAID Engine.