I Love Thecus

Full Version: N2200 RAID 1 disk swapping/auto-repair
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I want to use the N2200 with 3 disk drives. 2 drives in the box and a third stored in a safe place.
Each month I remove one drive from the box and store it safely
and put in the drive that rested at the safe place into the N2200.

How does auto-repair deal with this change of drives ?
Would this work or would I have to "erase" the disk that comes from storage to be "repaired" ?

Thx
Why don't you use the backup modules that are available for the N22200 for backing up to an external harddisk? In that case you can just use your N2200 with full options (i.e. RAID-1 or 0).
There are many problems occurring with our cars and in this cases, taking our car to the mechanic is a right option. So, I want to get some information regarding auto repair reviews. Please share some reviews with me.

auto repair reviews
There are many problems occurring with our cars and in this cases, taking our car to the mechanic is a right option. So, I want to get some information regarding auto repair reviews. Please share some reviews with me.

auto repair reviews
Hmmm ... not a great idea to be honest with you. As the previous poster said (not the one talking about car repair), you'd be best off backing up to a remote disk.

Pulling drives in and out is not a healthy option for the hardware or your data.

How much data do you class as critical ? For me photos, documents and email comes as critical (can't go out and retake the photos!) so I subscribe to one of those cloud based backup services ("Mozy" since I work for their parent company and get 50GB free :-) then I backup only the critical data to the offline backup, then I have a local backup to a big USB drive using rsync .. the local backup doesn;t have everything just my critical files and as much of the replaceable data as fits (to save time replaceing it)
Hmmm ... not a great idea to be honest with you. As the previous poster said (not the one talking about car repair), you'd be best off backing up to a remote disk.

Pulling drives in and out is not a healthy option for the hardware or your data.

How much data do you class as critical ? For me photos, documents and email comes as critical (can't go out and retake the photos!) so I subscribe to one of those cloud based backup services ("Mozy" since I work for their parent company and get 50GB free :-) then I backup only the critical data to the offline backup, then I have a local backup to a big USB drive using rsync .. the local backup doesn;t have everything just my critical files and as much of the replaceable data as fits (to save time replaceing it)
Backing up to a remote disk is not an option as the 3 drives in question are all internally mounted hard drives of the same make/model. The backup solutions documented in the user manual refer to a remote mounted disk or site which I do not have.

I followed the directions for swapping disk drives in the user manual and when I turned the NAS back on it just emit that horrible screeching sound for eternity, even while trying to reset the RAID configuration.

Hence, I am at the state where I have one drive populated with "critical" data and one empty drive. I would like to insert the new empty drive and have the contents of the populated drive copied (rebuild) over to the new drive. It would be best if this would happen without that horrible noise but I doubt that's possible.

Any help on this?
Backing up to a remote disk is not an option as the 3 drives in question are all internally mounted hard drives of the same make/model. The backup solutions documented in the user manual refer to a remote mounted disk or site which I do not have.

I followed the directions for swapping disk drives in the user manual and when I turned the NAS back on it just emit that horrible screeching sound for eternity, even while trying to reset the RAID configuration.

Hence, I am at the state where I have one drive populated with "critical" data and one empty drive. I would like to insert the new empty drive and have the contents of the populated drive copied (rebuild) over to the new drive. It would be best if this would happen without that horrible noise but I doubt that's possible.

Any help on this?
billbraski Wrote:Backing up to a remote disk is not an option as the 3 drives in question are all internally mounted hard drives of the same make/model. The backup solutions documented in the user manual refer to a remote mounted disk or site which I do not have.

Any help on this?

Eeek!! .. really REALLY don't repeat what you did. RAID-1 (mirroring) is not for you to be able to pull out a drive whenever you want a "backup" .. honestly it's not how it works and not how it will ever work!

Take your 3rd drive, put it in a USB case and use the USB backup module to schedule a copy of your data ... DON'T pull disks from live systems, you've noticed it screamed it's head off .. there is a good reason for that :-)
billbraski Wrote:Backing up to a remote disk is not an option as the 3 drives in question are all internally mounted hard drives of the same make/model. The backup solutions documented in the user manual refer to a remote mounted disk or site which I do not have.

Any help on this?

Eeek!! .. really REALLY don't repeat what you did. RAID-1 (mirroring) is not for you to be able to pull out a drive whenever you want a "backup" .. honestly it's not how it works and not how it will ever work!

Take your 3rd drive, put it in a USB case and use the USB backup module to schedule a copy of your data ... DON'T pull disks from live systems, you've noticed it screamed it's head off .. there is a good reason for that :-)